Bicycle Guardians... ?

I bought these cards at K-Mart. The box does not have the theory11 logo on the bottom and the back design of the box is different. The deck also did not come with a double backer.

I assume that these cards are NOT the same as the Guardians sold here at theory11.com.

They clumped up BAD after a few moments of use.

Not to mention, they click bended TERRIBLY the next day.

Are these a different kind of Guardians?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I bought these cards at K-Mart. The box does not have the theory11 logo on the bottom and the back design of the box is different. The deck also did not come with a double backer.

I assume that these cards are NOT the same as the Guardians sold here at theory11.com.

They clumped up BAD after a few moments of use.

Not to mention, they click bended TERRIBLY the next day.

Are these a different kind of Guardians?

Decks sold directly on theory11 are a much higher grade stock and finish than those sold in mainstream retail stores. However, they should all still be pretty high quality. I've got a meeting with USPCC on Wednesday and will check on this.

timsilva

Elite Member
Nov 18, 2007
California
timsilva.com
Decks sold directly on theory11 are a much higher grade stock and finish than those sold in mainstream retail stores. However, they should all still be pretty high quality. I've got a meeting with USPCC on Wednesday and will check on this.

Just out of curiosity jb, why is that? Are those just cheaper versions for home-use and card game playing? Also, is there any chance we will ever see the normal cards for sale at retails stores? They might look that esoteric quality, but it would still be nice.

Also... a bit random... but are you planning on having any other One Year Supply contests again? I need an excuse to stock up on Guardi's again. :p

Much appreciated JB!

Also, the bottom of the box came apart when I opened the wrapper. I had to glue it back shut.

It might be how K-Mart handles their products or something.

Jan 8, 2010
i got some guardians at walmart and i found the stock and quality to be no better then a regular rider back deck , they clump bigtime when fanning and dribbling and i did not get a double back card either :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
i got some guardians at walmart and i found the stock and quality to be no better then a regular rider back deck , they clump bigtime when fanning and dribbling and i did not get a double back card either :mad:

Guardians are under a lot of question. I have also thought it would have been a good ideas to pick some up from wal-mart. My friend and I bought out wal-marts stock of guardians three times. Both of the qualitys were not very good compared to T11's. The ones that I bought all had double backers though my friends didn't. It seems that the wal-mart guardians are unconsistant compared to my T11.

Jan 13, 2008
I've bought a few decks from Wal-Mart, and I found that the quality is right on track with a regular deck of Bikes. So, they fanned well, dribbled well, etc. Maybe I'm just used to Bikes, and thus found them more than satisfactory, but I was quite happy with them. I actually prefer regular Bicycle stock compared to the thicker "quality" stock found on most magic sites (one exception: Split Spade Lions, the BEST deck I've ever handled). It really comes down to personal preference, I suppose. :)

Jan 8, 2010
I got an email from theory 11 saying that the cards sold in retail stores in canada are not exactly the same as the ones sold on the theory 11 site and they dont come with a double back card. But they did say that the feel and finish are pretty much the same...if that is true i think i will be moving on to Ellusionist products. My Ghosts are 100 times better then the crap guardians i bought.

Jan 13, 2008
I got an email from theory 11 saying that the cards sold in retail stores in canada are not exactly the same as the ones sold on the theory 11 site and they dont come with a double back card. But they did say that the feel and finish are pretty much the same...if that is true i think i will be moving on to Ellusionist products. My Ghosts are 100 times better then the crap guardians i bought.
I live in Canada, and mine have all come with a double back card. Bought them at Wal-Mart. They have the English/French writing on the box, as per our laws, so I know it's a Canada batch. The stock is completely different, though, from the cards you purchase from the site. The only thing that's the same is the design. Odd that they would tell you otherwise. o_O

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City

Just to clarify this point directly - the Bicycle Guardians sold in many retail outlets (Walmart, Barnes and Nobles, Books a Million, etc) are no where near the quality of feel and finish of playing cards sold directly by theory11. theory11 only holds direct quality control over the decks sold and distributed directly by theory11.

For those printed by the USPCC, we unfortunately have no way of ensuring quality and flawless printing. If feel, finish, and quality is of prime importance to you - which it should be - the safest way to ensure it is by getting the decks directly from theory11.

Jan 8, 2010
Just to clarify this point directly - the Bicycle Guardians sold in many retail outlets (Walmart, Barnes and Nobles, Books a Million, etc) are no where near the quality of feel and finish of playing cards sold directly by theory11. theory11 only holds direct quality control over the decks sold and distributed directly by theory11.

For those printed by the USPCC, we unfortunately have no way of ensuring quality and flawless printing. If feel, finish, and quality is of prime importance to you - which it should be - the safest way to ensure it is by getting the decks directly from theory11.

i was also told that they couldnt give me a double back card and if i wanted one i had to buy a deck direct from theory 11.
the problem i have is i dont have a credit card and cannot afford to spend that much on shipping and handling and on top of that there would be customs fees.
I cant justify spending 20 bucks on a deck of cards just so i can have the real deal.
I suggest theory 11 does something about letting USPCC use their stuff and put theory 11 on the box if the quality, feel and finish is not the same.
I have been misled and I am not happy about it.

oh boy dont cry about it.
does walmart really ever have great quality? nope. so dont be so misled and unhappy.
just get a bunch of cards so you only pay shipping once, then you dont havta worry about it for a while
make your own double backs if you really need them.
t11 does a great job keeping their prices low.
if you have a job then its easier to get cards. thats what i suggest

Interesting... Only way to get bikes over here in NZ is to buy offline... So let me get this straight... if Theory11 Guardians are not the ones sold elsewhere like in stores... what about other magic shops that sell guardians? Are they the same as the Theory11 ones?

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Interesting... Only way to get bikes over here in NZ is to buy offline... So let me get this straight... if Theory11 Guardians are not the ones sold elsewhere like in stores... what about other magic shops that sell guardians? Are they the same as the Theory11 ones?

Most magic shops purchase Guardians directly from theory11, but some do purchase from USPCC. The best way to tell is that the front of the boxes are noticeably different. Guardians sold through USPCC have both French and English prominently on the front of the box, whereas decks we sell directly do not.

I live in Canada, and mine have all come with a double back card. Bought them at Wal-Mart. They have the English/French writing on the box, as per our laws, so I know it's a Canada batch. The stock is completely different, though, from the cards you purchase from the site. The only thing that's the same is the design. Odd that they would tell you otherwise. o_O

Same here in B.C

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results