BLANK You! // What the GAFF?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
In another thread, we were talking about the availability of blank decks and gaffs like double-backers, so my question is what do you use those cards for?

Blank Cards

Caleb Wiles - Holy Blank (comes with the deck)
Bannon's Duplicity
Craig Petty's Blank (comes with cards to do all effects except Wipeout)
Craig Petty's Wipeout (need to get your own cards)
Dean Dill's Blizzard
Fulves Gemini Twins (in my variation all cards are blank except selected)
Erazer by Adrian Gower (my own version)

Double Backed Cards (including Red/Blue)

The Perfect Force or the 203 Force
Stranger Card (off Army of 52 DVD)
Anniversary Waltz
Cheek to Cheek
Omni Deck (my own handling)
Jay Sankey's Carbon Paper (my own handling)

Double Faced Cards

Wildcard
Tommy Wonder's Tamed Card
Jim Steinmeyer's Pastboards Under Glass (neat force, but I use something different in my routine)

I use blank cards and Kings for my 'Assembilicious' routine which I posted on this forum a while ago (see here). Strictly speaking it doesn't have to be blank cards, but it makes the effect clearer and a few of the displays easier as you don't have to worry about those 'Elmsley descrepancies'!

I love playing around with gaffs.

I have a routine in the works called 'Blankerchief' (working title!) inspired by a Jay Sankey effect. Three cards are chosen, One is found out in the open using 'sleight of hand', the deck is the 'sleight proofed' by wrapping in a handkerchief with the second card penetrating the fabric. Finally, the wrapped deck is handed to a spectator and all the cards turn blank apart from the final selection.

I've also been working on a combination of 'Bizarre Twist' and 'Anniversary Waltz' which uses blank backed cards. Still haven't quite got a presentation for it yet.

Good Thread!

Rev

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
Blank
Greg Wilson's Ambitious Card
Jay Sankey's Brainwash
Patrick Kun Snow Blind
Polaroid 1 & 2 by Spidey
Connection by Spidey

Double Backers
Alex Pandrea's Chicago Opener
Spidey's Squancho
Some Versions of Triumph
2 Card Monte

Double Facers
The Widdison Steal
Alan Wakeling Aces Front
Alan Wakeling Card to Wallet (Signature collector)

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I have for an idea for a routine that involved a double blank deck--except one card has a rabbit drawn on it, classic pass (or whatever pass you decide to use), Clipshift, and Raise Rise.

The goal is to show phases of the rabbit 'jumping' through the deck. Ending with Raise Rise to show it slowly hopping up to the top of the deck.

Reactions: Martin Eret

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I use blank cards and Kings for my 'Assembilicious' routine which I posted on this forum a while ago (see here).

I like that one. Now you have me wanting to get The Classic Magic of Larry Jennings (have Jenings '67 and love it
). I'll have to do some research with what books I have. I think there are variations of Ambitious Classic to look up -- Amorphous Aces in The Secrets of Brother John Hammond, The Magic "Six" in Apocalypse and 5 Speed in Totally Out of Control. I can probably spend a couple of hours researching Reset. I've got AoA for the original and can find variations in Apocalypse, The Collected Almanac, Card College, The Card Magic of Nick Trost and Vortex.

Where is the Mark Leveridge Reds and Blacks routine found?

Alan Wakeling Aces Front
Alan Wakeling Card to Wallet (Signature collector)

And now I've got to go crack open The Magic of Alan Wakeling.

Where is the Mark Leveridge Reds and Blacks routine found?

I learned it from his Penguin Live lecture, though It's probably in one of his books somewhere. His handling was a straight-forward routine in which a black card rises to the top of a pile of red cards four times. Very clean and impromptu, but I felt it lacked an ending, hence my routine. My handling ended up being completely different to Mark's though.

Mark's lecture is great though. He's pretty old school and very 'commercially' orientated (hence his success) but I love his performance manner and humour. Plus, I bought my first 'real' magic tricks from him over fifteen years ago, so there's also the nostalgia factor!

Rev

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I love his card to wallet but I have never been able to find cheap double backers to perform with.

Double facers :) You were testing me to see if I actually looked at the routine. I thought the routine was ingenious. I love effects where you hide in plain sight.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results