Blind - Daniel Madison

Aug 18, 2008
I figured I would get this review up as quick as possible because I know people are very curious at this point.

When I saw the video, I was completely fooled. I had to get it, so I did. When I started to watch the explanation, I slapped myself in the forehead. It is so simple, so devious, so perfect. I am going to keep this review short. There is only one move in the entire trick, and it is so easy. You will only need to watch this once, except you might watch the bloopers a few times because they are hilarious. Teaching is clear an concise, 8 minutes are all you need. I can see myself using this effect, a lot. Two completely ordinary decks are used, they can be borrowed. Setup takes a few seconds. You end slightly dirty but I don't think its an issue. This can be fixed in a few seconds. I have already figured out a way to end clean. So yes I recommend it. 4/5
great work by DM

Dec 10, 2007
sounds like im right on the method from what you've posted in the review... im not sure why so many people were fooled on this lol. thanks for posting the review man.

Victor Cruz

Jan 18, 2009
Yeah..... I was completely fooled when I watched it and they are very straightforward with the video. I got this and was gonna write a review but I don't do repeats that often. Everything is crystal clear and btw my speakers don't even work and I got how he did this. Very simple and to end clean is very simple and easy.

Sometimes I slap myself at how easy it really is and then I realize that for someone with little skill in cards I am very happy.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
sounds like im right on the method from what you've posted in the review... im not sure why so many people were fooled on this lol. thanks for posting the review man.

Victor Cruz

lol man ur soooo clever lolll :rolleyes:

Gimme a break, I'm sick of this whole "Weellll I think I got the method right, thanks, glad I didn't buy this because it didn't fool me! :D".

- Sean

Victor Cruz

I hate to sound like a "noob" myself, but I thought the method was terribly transparent also... I thought there was going to be a lot more to the demo but then it ended pretty abruptly. While I didn't purchase the 1-on-1 personally, I figured I should let people know of my thoughts just based upon the demo. So take this "review" with a grain of salt.

Although it's only priced at a meager $6.00, I still think it's too much for what's offered. It's another card trick that is neither impromptu nor instantly resettable. It's my opinion that this is the type of effect that (again) belongs in a book or compilation video.

With that said, it is (excruciatingly) simple to perform. Once it's set-up, it's essentially a self-working trick. It is very direct and straightforward, and with a little bit of byplay and dancing with the spectators, the effect can also be cleaned up at the end. Is it worth the trouble? I would argue not. Depends if the video actually covers it.

A few have asked if it can be performed with one deck using a pair. The answer is yes. The cards aren't gimmicked at all, so you can use whatever cards you want and however many cards you want. In fact, there's a (similar) effect in Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic called Double Turnover. In effect, the magician and spectator freely select cards from their respective halves of the deck. The deck is reassembled, and both cards are suddenly found reversed in the pack. In my opinion, it is just as direct and hard-hitting and can be played off as both magic and mentalism. You also get a huger bang for your buck-- the book is over 450 pages and only cost $15.00.

I suppose I'm slightly bothered by the quality of some 1-on-1s and other site's instant downloads. In my opinion, some of them feel like throwaway items with an individual (inflated) pricetag. I know others may (WILL) disagree, but I think it's taking advantage of people's inexperience. There are some who actually rely on instant downloads of single tricks to add to their developing repertoire. I sincerely think that's an unfortunate reality, because I think there are much better resources to learn fundamentals and showmanship and other intangible lessons that these quick feeds don't really communicate.

Like I said... a grain of salt...

RS.

Sep 1, 2007
In the end for me it comes down to this

I was fooled. I will definitely perform this trick for other people and it will fool them too. And tomorrow I'll have a peanut butter sandwich instead of going to Panera for lunch and be over spending 6 dollars on a trick I'm going to use for a long time.

Oct 20, 2008
Austin, TX area
In my opinion, some of them feel like throwaway items with an individual (inflated) pricetag. I know others may (WILL) disagree, but I think it's taking advantage of people's inexperience. There are some who actually rely on instant downloads of single tricks to add to their developing repertoire.
I'll take this on from the perspective of a less experienced, "new-again-to-this" hobbyist.

On my first watch through Blind, I instantly thought of a technique from another 1-On-1 which made performing Blind feel a lot more natural to me. The other video was, in concept, a single effect. There were still techniques taught in the other video, and one can apply to this.

And off the top of my head, this may be useful if I can work out a good method for cleaning up.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
I don't know the method, don't plan on buying it at this moment. Currently cleaning up a few other effects I've recently learned. I'm also working on my creativity-creating a few pieces of magic I can call my own.

After seeing blind, I was actually fooled. Again, I don't know the method per say, but after thinking about it I figured out a way that this could be performed and am happy with the method I devised.

Simple, direct the way I do it...and adding a second phase isn't very hard, in fact it's bloody brilliant to go from blind luck to designed mentalism (prediction to their random choice anyone?). Maybe that's just me though.

-Rik

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 28, 2009
I watched this download and liked the trick. It's awesomely simple to perform, but if you want to end clean, you can add a pass in the mix and that limits both the set up, and the clean up required on the trick and you can produce a near identicle effect. (I actually was doing that after watching the demo, then bought it and thought...hmmmm let me try this.) It's easy, and it's a great after dinner trick and is so easy to perform, it's great drunken magic.

I carry 2 decks around with me and have bussed this out at work and after meals and I have never been rumbled once, even not doing any clean up. People think.....wtf......

Also I'm confused by the Wilson comment. If you think that Blind is Transparant, but Wilson's double turnover isn't......I'm totally bemused. I've performed both and had better results with Blind in terms of reaction and confusion.

Blind isn't something that will fool magicians, as there is only really one way the trick can be done in essance, however, no one is going to grab the exact specifics, and for lay people.....they react very well to the trick.

Is it worth 6 bucks? I don't know......I thought it was because I've gotten my money's worth out of it. You have to perform it with real confidence, and act surprised by the outcome. From a lay person the closest I've had to it is, "That's the one in 52 chance. I bet that was luck."

Feb 8, 2009
yea i got it its a great effect and i couldnt believe i actualy couldnt figure this out after buying the explanation.
this is how do you call it a great "magician fooler" as we all try to find the pass or the double lift but it isnt there the simple things are the ones that hit hard.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results