Book on the Theory of Artifice and Subterfuge?

Jan 14, 2012
Not looking for literature on tricks but the theory of deception itself written by a practiced illusionist preferably.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Are you looking for theory regarding designing effects, performance or the psychology of magic? Also, is your focus close-up, parlor or stage? When you say illusionist, I think you are talking about the design of large stage illusions. Is that what you are looking for or is it something else?

Also, how long have you been doing magic and what sources (books, DVDs, etc.) have you been learning from? Your level of experience in learning and performing magic will have an effect on which book would be best for you.

Dec 29, 2017
Dec 29, 2017
@RealityOne ‘s questions are important for narrowing things down. My list might not meet any of your criteria... however I feel they are all pretty great reads regardless if you have interest in magic theory as deception goes hand in hand.

Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not interested in doing magic nowadays, I used to do magic for 5 years but I am more interested in the philosophy of deception and no philosopher can parallel the intuitive knowledge gained by performing "magic tricks".

Dec 29, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not interested in doing magic nowadays, I used to do magic for 5 years but I am more interested in the philosophy of deception and no philosopher can parallel the intuitive knowledge gained by performing "magic tricks".

Some of those (5 points, Designing Miracles, and theory and psych of conjuring) and a few social engineering/manipulation books may be more of what you’re after. Deception is a little bit relative really.

Found this for you as well:
http://www.strangemag.com/artofhonestdecept.html

Hopefully you can find what you need until some others chime in.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results