May 25, 2024
So there's a long story to this. For the past 3 or so years, I've done this volunteer magic thing where I teach some basic card tricks and games to poor children. It's really fun.

Anyway, it turns out that one of the owners of the yogurt shop I work at was part of the organization that does this massive charity event each year. She asked if I could do magic while Santa visited the yogurt shop. I did magic for the kids who came in and even showed the owners and Santa himself some tricks in the slow parts. Santa was actually the other owner's dad (the store is owned by two families) and he asked if I'd do some walk around magic at this party thing he's having.

His son, the owner suggested I design some business cards and even said he'd pay for the first 100 for me, which was nice of him. I just have to send him a design.

Now I've seen magician cards that react with heat to reveal the message or work as a magic trick themselves. I can't do something like this as many seem expensive to make and cumbersome.

I know what important information I need to include and that it should be clear and concise on the front of the card, but I need ideas to make the design creative and unique.

I was thinking I'd leave the back blank to use as a billet but I've also been toying with including a hidden card reveal or something within the design. I don't want it to look cheesy though.

I've also been thinking of cool ways to present the cards, besides using them as billets for other tricks. I've seen people pull them from a fire wallet when people ask for a business card. I've also seen the idea of running one through your hand to "print" it. There's also an app that makes it look like the card prints into your phone and then you pull it from your phone, if that makes sense. It's made by the same people as Card2Phone so if you know what that is, it should make sense.

Also, any advice for this type of walk around magic? I feel like I have a pretty good idea what to do but it's always nice to get tips from the more seasoned professionals. Just any advice at all will be welcome: dos and don'ts, pocket management, audience management (a lot of them will be drunk apparently), suggestions for effects, etc.

Tl;dr, I need ideas for a magic business card design as well as ways to produce or present the cards, as well as tips for performing at the party thing. Thanks guys!
That sounds like such a fun and rewarding experience! How about incorporating a subtle optical illusion or a hidden reveal in the design for the business card? Maybe a simple, elegant card that changes slightly when tilted or viewed from different angles. The Fire wallet is always a hit when presenting cards, but the "printing" from the hand or phone app sounds cool and modern.

For walk-around magic tips, keep your effects short and impactful, especially since the audience might be distracted or tipsy. Focus on engaging with people individually or in small groups to create a more personal experience. Good luck, and have fun!

May 29, 2024
So there's a long story to this. For the past 3 or so years, I've done this volunteer magic thing where I teach some basic card tricks and games to poor children. It's really fun.

Anyway, it turns out that one of the owners of the yogurt shop I work at was part of the organization that does this massive charity event each year. She asked if I could do magic while Santa visited the yogurt shop. I did magic for the kids who came in and even showed the owners and Santa himself some tricks in the slow parts. Santa was actually the other owner's dad (the store is owned by two families) and he asked if I'd do some walk around magic at this party thing he's having.

His son, the owner suggested I design some business cards and even said he'd pay for the first 100 for me, which was nice of him. I just have to send him a design.

Now I've seen magician cards that react with heat to reveal the message or work as a magic trick themselves. I can't do something like this as many seem expensive to make and cumbersome.

I know what important information I need to include and that it should be clear and concise on the front of the card, but I need ideas to make the design creative and unique.

I was thinking I'd leave the back blank to use as a billet but I've also been toying with including a hidden card reveal or something within the design. I don't want it to look cheesy though.

I've also been thinking of cool ways to present the cards, besides using them as billets for other tricks. I've seen people pull them from a fire wallet when people ask for a business card. I've also seen the idea of running one through your hand to "print" it. There's also an app that makes it look like the card prints into your phone and then you pull it from your phone, if that makes sense. It's made by the same people as Card2Phone so if you know what that is, it should make sense.

Also, any advice for this type of walk around magic? I feel like I have a pretty good idea what to do but it's always nice to get tips from the more seasoned professionals. Just any advice at all will be welcome: dos and don'ts, pocket management, audience management (a lot of them will be drunk apparently), suggestions for effects, etc.

Tl;dr, I need ideas for a magic business card design as well as ways to produce or present the cards, as well as tips for performing at the party thing. Thanks guys!
Hey that's rilly cool of you to do charity and also help out. But about the business cards you could make your own custom king of what ever your favorite suit is so it would have your face on it and have that mirrored look and splitting your mirrored selfs in half is a sword or sum object with your name and then on the back you can have all your information and find away to make it keep with the card theme

May 25, 2024

Hey there! First off, I love what you’re doing with the volunteer magic for kids. That’s truly awesome and it’s great to see how your passion is opening up new opportunities for you.

Regarding your business card design, keeping it clear and concise is definitely important. Here are a few ideas to make your card stand out:

1. Hidden Card Reveal: You could incorporate a subtle card reveal within the design. For example, have a small, faint outline of a card (like the Ace of Spades) that only shows up under certain lighting or when viewed at a certain angle. This could be achieved with UV printing or a holographic overlay.

2. Interactive Element: What if you had a scratch-off area on your card? It could reveal a card prediction or a fun fact about magic. This keeps people engaged and adds an element of surprise.

3. Magic Trick: If you're comfortable with a bit more complexity, a simple magic trick embedded in the card design could be a winner. For example, you could have a small flap that when lifted reveals a hidden message or card.

For presenting your cards, here are a few thoughts:

1. Fire Wallet: The fire wallet is always a crowd-pleaser, but make sure you're comfortable using it and that it’s safe for the environment you'll be in (some places might have restrictions on open flames).

2. Card Printing Trick: Running a blank card through your hand to "print" it is a classic and always amazes people. It’s visual and leaves a lasting impression.

3. Tech Integration: The app that makes it look like you’re pulling the card from your phone sounds really modern and slick. If you can integrate tech seamlessly, it can make you look very professional and up-to-date.

As for the walk-around magic at the party, here are a few tips:

1. Pocket Management: Have a plan for where each trick is stored. Use different pockets for different tricks to avoid fumbling around. Keep your most frequently used items in the most accessible pockets.

2. Audience Management: Drunk audiences can be unpredictable. Stay confident and assertive but also flexible. If someone is getting too rowdy, politely move on to another group.

3. Effect Selection: Choose tricks that are quick and visual. Card tricks are great, but also consider some coin tricks or small illusions that can be performed up close.

4. Engage with the Crowd: Make your audience feel involved. Ask for volunteers, use their names, and make them feel like part of the show.

5. Have a Few Go-To Tricks: Know a few tricks inside and out that you can perform flawlessly. These are your safety net if you ever feel nervous or if something doesn’t go as planned.

Good luck with your event! It sounds like an amazing opportunity, and I’m sure you’ll leave a lasting impression with your magic and creativity. Keep us posted on how it goes!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results