Booklet Review: Lee Asher's Pulp Friction Booklet

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Description: (Here's what the blurb on the back of the booklet says)

"Pulp Friction is Lee Asher's most devious conception. It will evolutionize card magic. Imagine a single move that can be used for almost every effect in card magic. You might even take over the world with this technique! In this booklet, Pulp Friction is described in detail, and has many accopanying photographs."

Personally I don't think it can be used for almost EVERY card effect, but I'm in no way denying it's awesomeness. :D

What you get: You get a 15 page paperback book with a picture of Ms Asher on the front (And yes I do mean Lee, and no "Ms" is not a typo). :p

Contents: In this booklet Lee first gives a new addition to the Thunderbird Ace Production which is available at www.leeasher.com, I myself am yet to buy this, but I have to say it's real tempting. Lee then outlines the Pulp Friction card control in detail over the course of 2 pages and then gives credits for his creation on the next page. We then get a lovely Multi Peek Control which I'll explain what happens in a second. Then (and this is my favourite section of the booklet) there's a Red Black Separation effect based on the pulp friction principle - again I'll explain this in a moment. Finally, there is a real nice effect called Touché is what you say!! where the spectator calls for a number, and that number of cards is cut to by the performer AND the selection is found too! Now I'll go on to outline the effects for those of you who don't know them already.

Thunderbird Ace Production: The Thunderbird Ace Production is a beautiful piece of magic from the mind of Lee Asher. It's a very short piece of magic but it took him 2 years to create and it's VERY well thought out! - I cannot give this a proper review as I do not own the effect.

Pulp Friction Card Control: Wow, one of the best card controls I know. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the basic principle allows you to control a card to the bottom of the deck ready for whatever you want to do - Of course if you did this face up (which you can do by the way) it would be controlled to the top of the deck. I can't really go into anymore detail than this without nearly exposing the method, but it is very ingenious and I'd venture to say almost completely invisible.

Multi Peek Card Control: YES! This is great! This control is based on the pulp friction principle and will allow you to control a card to the bottom of the deck... And yet the bottom card never changes - There's a chance this could fool your magician friends with enough practice. At first read you'd be forgiven for thinking why it's called a "Multi Peek" card control if it only moves one to the bottom, but upon reading and thinking you'll see how it could be used as a multi peek control.

Red Black Separation: I love this, as I've said it's my favourite thing in the booklet. The deck is shown separated into red and black, 26 red on the bottom of the deck and 26 black on the top of the deck (or vice versa). The deck is split into two and weaved together so that the reds and blacks are interlaced - No joke, the two halves really are interlaced and shuffled into each other. Immediately you can show the deck separated into reds and blacks although obviously that might be a weak effect on its own. With some thinking, you could turn this into a wonderful triumph effect. ;)

Touché Is What You Say!!: This effect is great for gambling demonstrations really, although I haven't thought of a magical use just yet. This effect is a bonus effect thrown in I think as it doesn't use the pulp friction principle - nonetheless it's very good. The spectator names a number of cards and tries to cut to that number to see exactly how hard it is, on rare occasions they will cut to that number and then you can just take the deck off them and spring the cards in their face in anger or something. The norm, however, is that they will fail and agree with you that it indeed is a hard task to cut to any number called. Still, you being the amazing david blaine that you are, you suggest to attempt such a feat whilst at the same time finding a card selected by them! And you know what? You do exactly that, the spectator calls a number and pretty damn quickly you can cut to that number and find their card.

Overall: I think this booklet for the price it's currently being sold at is great and the pulp friction move is something that will get your creativity going for sure!. I give the booklet an 8/10 just because I would've liked to see maybe 1 or 2 more examples of how to use the pulp friction move to full advantage. :)

Great job Lee!

- Sean

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results