Books/DVDs with quick non-table tricks

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Need some books / DVDs that has quick non-table tricks and some tricks that is a bit on the table but doesn't require to lay down a lot of cards on a table counting them and whatnot. And I'm not a big fan of prediction or LULZ IM READIN UR MIND tricks either.

At the moment I'm reading RRTCM and watching the DVD set as I go along.

RRTCM has a lot of tricks but most of them are table tricks, takes god awful long time to do or I just don't like at all. Long table tricks are good if you are doing like a whole routine by a table, obviously not so good just going "hey I can do card tricks yo" anytime, anywhere. Those are the kind of tricks I want.

Where to get it would be nice. Maybe also tell something about the tricks on the book/DVD.

A trick I really like doing is Weighted Aces that I learned from the DVD Double Take. Cards changes places and it happens in the spectator's hands. Should give an idea of what I like.

bla bla bla etc ;)

TKH

Aug 31, 2007
Wisconsin
Just for some people to know, weighted aces is Gregory Wilsons take on Dr. Daley's last trick.

The type you are interested in are not that hard to find. If you like Gregory Wilson check out his L and L dvds In action, they are excellent, and have the kind of stuff you are interested in.

Royal Road, Good starting place. If you are into books, there is a reprint of Totally out of control coming out in the coming months.

Your looking for strolling magic/ walk-around, your in the EXACT situation as I am and I will name just a few good ones:

Coins
-CoinOne
-Silver Dream
-Digital Dissolve

and so on

Cards
-Live at the Jailhouse
-Distortion
-Burnout
-Paperclipped

Some other dvd's that are great are:

-The trilogy
-Joshua Jay's talk about tricks
-Girgory Wilson On the spot

Just really look at previews and think, Would I be able to have the spectator hold this or would you need a table to perform it.

You really just got to think about practicality.

Sep 1, 2007
James Brown was the Magic Circle Close Up Magician of the Year (2007) and has an excellent DVD called "Fancy Another Pot of Jam?" which has plenty of exactly what you're looking for in it. Not only that but it is performed under real working conditions, in a restaurant/bar setting.

Some of the techniques may be considered a little advanced perhaps - depending on what you're familiar with - but it's easy to substitute moves from your own toolbox.

I use his "Cards Opener" - a variation of it anyway - all the time when I'm working. It's one of two opening effects that I like to do. I use his psychological deck vanish at the end of a multiple selection routine. His "11p" trick is a thing of beauty. There's loads of other great material on there as well, almost all of it matching your requirements.

I second Greg Wilson's material, but be careful; Pyrotechnic Pasteboads and Card Stunts both have a lot of table work in them (awesome magic, but does require the table). Greg Wilson "In Action" might be more up your street.

I would steer well clear of "single trick" purchases until you have a better idea of what your style and base repertoire is going to be.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results