Books on Magic

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
I think it would be awesome to have a small library of books on magic. Different kinds of books, like magical theory, autobiographies of magicians, books on sleights, all sorts!

suggestions?

I have so far:
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic
David Blaine's Mysterious Stranger
Modern Coin magic

edit: woops! i ddint see the other magic books thread... but mine is different in some aspects. feel free to post anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
Be sure to pick up "The Expert at the Card Table", also a great read I have recently been getting into "The Secret Life of Houdini." And I have heard the Art of Astonishment series by Paul Harris is supposed to be amazing. (There are 3 volumes in that series.)
Hope this helped,
Michael

Sep 1, 2007
San Francisco, CA
My dream would be to have a secret library behind a bookcase that contains the following books, as well as many more:

Art of Astonishment
Paper Engine
Totally Out Of Control
Card College
Encyclopedia of Playing Card Flourishes
5x5
Royal Road
Bobo's
Expert at the Card Table
Drawing Room Deceptions

and much much more!

//David.Misner::

Sep 2, 2007
Here is a list of some books that would make a great addition to any library:
  • Card College by Roberto Giobbi
  • Expert Card Technique: Close-Up Table Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue
  • The Royal Road to Card Magic by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue
  • The Expert at the Card Table: The Classic Treatise on Card Manipulation by S. W. Erdnase
  • The Paper Engine by Aaron Fisher
  • Mindfreak: Secret Revelations by Criss Angel
The first four are classics and a part of my minuscule and infinitesimal library, while the last one is optional. ;)

Cheers,
JTM

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 2, 2007
is there any one good source for these types of books
It depends on for what you are looking. All the books above teach different facets of magic, ranging from various difficulty and skill levels.

For example, if one is beginning in card magic, one probably should not start with The Expert at the Card Table by Erdnase, but rather The Royal Road to Card Magic or the Card College series.

Cheers,
JTM

Jan 4, 2008
Norfolk, Virginia
It depends on for what you are looking. All the books above teach different facets of magic, ranging from various difficulty and skill levels.

For example, if one is beginning in card magic, one probably should not start with The Expert at the Card Table by Erdnase, but rather The Royal Road to Card Magic or the Card College series.

Cheers,
JTM

i cant quite see how that answered my question but thanks for the reply.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
is there any one good source for these types of books

The Hermetic Press: http://www.hermeticpress.com/
Kaufman and Co.: http://kaufman.geniimagazine.com/
H & R Magic Books: http://www.magicbookshop.com/
Lybrary E- Books: http://www.lybrary.com/index.php

Just to name a few.

Books I would feel that I couldn't live without (and need to buy in some cases):

The Complete Works of Derek Dingle
The Secrets of Brother John Hamman
DeSouza's DeCeptions
Tommy Wonder Books of Wonder (Vol 1 & 2) - to buy list
Royal Road to Card Magic
Paper Engine - to buy list (gonna pick up the paperback version cause the cover is sexy now)
Coin Magic (Kaufman)
Bobo's
The Collected Almanac (Kaufman)
Cardshark
At The Card Table
Strong Magic
The Magic of Ascanio - to buy list
Totally Out of Control - already ordered (pre-pub)
The Book of Secrets - (waiting on reprint)
The Card Magic of Jack Carpenter - Modus Operandi
Card College 1-5 (will buy eventually for reference and insight)
The Classic Collection (Lorayne) - to buy list

I am sure there are a ton of books left out that many will call classics and ignorantly overlooked here but I am still sifting through The DeSouza Library to find stuff I need to purchase....

Although not an actual book but rather lecture notes by Paul Cummins are probably one of my most prized pieces of paper in my house. Along with my Magic magazines =)

--Jim

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I have heard that "By Forces Unseen" is a phenomenal book, in fact probably every magician I've spoken to about it raves about its greatness, so I suppose you could add that to your list.

P.S. cotturj, I think Jack misread your question. ;)

The Hermetic Press: http://www.hermeticpress.com/
Kaufman and Co.: http://kaufman.geniimagazine.com/
H & R Magic Books: http://www.magicbookshop.com/
Lybrary E- Books: http://www.lybrary.com/index.php

Just to name a few.

Books I would feel that I couldn't live without (and need to buy in some cases):

The Complete Works of Derek Dingle
The Secrets of Brother John Hamman
DeSouza's DeCeptions
Tommy Wonder Books of Wonder (Vol 1 & 2) - to buy list
Royal Road to Card Magic
Paper Engine - to buy list (gonna pick up the paperback version cause the cover is sexy now)
Coin Magic (Kaufman)
Bobo's
The Collected Almanac (Kaufman)
Cardshark
At The Card Table
Strong Magic
The Magic of Ascanio - to buy list
Totally Out of Control - already ordered (pre-pub)
The Book of Secrets - (waiting on reprint)
The Card Magic of Jack Carpenter - Modus Operandi
Card College 1-5 (will buy eventually for reference and insight)
The Classic Collection (Lorayne) - to buy list

I am sure there are a ton of books left out that many will call classics and ignorantly overlooked here but I am still sifting through The DeSouza Library to find stuff I need to purchase....

Although not an actual book but rather lecture notes by Paul Cummins are probably one of my most prized pieces of paper in my house. Along with my Magic magazines =)

--Jim
I have to agree with that list. Even though I don't own EVERY single one, but a good portion of it.

I would like to add "The Tarbell Course in Magic" wonderful series of books!

Mitchel

Sep 1, 2007
Houston TX
Hey guys
i find it really funny that this topic is about magic books and im not a part of it yet

I (pridely) work at H&R magic books
if any of you guys are unsure about books you can cal H&R and talk to someone there
or contact me on aim (i am usually on)

i saw all the books you guys (and maybe gals) have suggested and i must say they are all fantastic.

the Vernon books are really good
inner card secrets
trilogy
and there is a new book in print that has a lot of Vernon stuff in it (forgot the name)

i currently am going through "the classics of larry jennings" i think it is fantastic

again call H&R if you want some expert advice on books (ask for richard)

hope this helps!

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I have heard that "By Forces Unseen" is a phenomenal book, in fact probably every magician I've spoken to about it raves about its greatness, so I suppose you could add that to your list.

P.S. cotturj, I think Jack misread your question. ;)

TDA,

I have heard the same thing, but I asked this question after hearing that: "So how much of the book have you digested or been able to perform" and the answer has always been "None of it". I have teetered on the edge of buying this book out of morbid curiosity simply to see how impossible some of the stuff in this book really is in practice. I hear it is an excellent book with some incredible information within it's pages. You are more likely to catch Danny Garcia wearing shoes than you are to see a ton of people performing the effects within those pages =)

--Jim

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Thanks guys, i wrote all of them down. I now just need to make a thousand dollars or pull a Darren brown and rob an armoured truck!

any more? how about great books on misdirection or maybe audience control/ performer's psychology?

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Thanks guys, i wrote all of them down. I now just need to make a thousand dollars or pull a Darren brown and rob an armoured truck!

any more? how about great books on misdirection or maybe audience control/ performer's psychology?

Strong Magic - Ortiz
Designing Miracles - Ortiz
The Magic of Ascanio - Etcheverry
The Five Points in Magic - Juan Tamariz
Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber
Meant to Be... - John Born (excellent essay in this book along with some great material)

I haven't read Absolute Magic but I hear there is some great insight in this book, it's just pretty hard to find at an affordable price. Books of Wonder have incredible essays and insight from Tommy Wonder as well that I have glanced over looking through a borrowed copy of Vol. 1.

That should be enough to get you started =)

--Jim

Jan 9, 2008
Sacramento
Strong Magic - Ortiz
Designing Miracles - Ortiz
The Magic of Ascanio - Etcheverry
The Five Points in Magic - Juan Tamariz
Maximum Entertainment - Ken Weber
Meant to Be... - John Born (excellent essay in this book along with some great material)

I haven't read Absolute Magic but I hear there is some great insight in this book, it's just pretty hard to find at an affordable price. Books of Wonder have incredible essays and insight from Tommy Wonder as well that I have glanced over looking through a borrowed copy of Vol. 1.

That should be enough to get you started =)

--Jim

Great, thanks! I have heard that Absolute Magic is Absolutely fantastic and really expensive....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results