Bottled by Taiwan Ben Impromptu

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Ok so I saw the trailer for "Bottled" by Taiwan Ben on Murphy's YouTube Channel. In the trailer it says "An impromptu street miracle". However, Murphy's also states something about a gimmick in one of the comments.

So which is it. Because if this is impromptu, this is ridiculously good. I Highly doubt it is though...

Jul 28, 2015
Ok so I saw the trailer for "Bottled" by Taiwan Ben on Murphy's YouTube Channel. In the trailer it says "An impromptu street miracle". However, Murphy's also states something about a gimmick in one of the comments.

So which is it. Because if this is impromptu, this is ridiculously good. I Highly doubt it is though...
Impromptu can mean semi impromptu also, it's kind of a thin line statement used in magic effects marketing now days imo, the semi impromptu statement might mean you'll have to carry around a utility gimmick... for example an on the spot "impromtu" coin bend... you would have to carry around a certain something we all know to make it possible

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Impromptu can mean semi impromptu also, it's kind of a thin line statement used in magic effects marketing now days imo, the semi impromptu statement might mean you'll have to carry around a utility gimmick... for example an on the spot "impromtu" coin bend... you would have to carry around a certain something we all know to make it possible
I'm fairly certain impromptu is separate from semi or almost impromptu.

Further more, if I am carrying around a gimmick, it is no longer impromptu, or even semi impromptu, is it? Like, if I am carrying around an (eg) invisible deck with me, it is no longer impromptu. In fact, I wouldn't even consider it semi impromptu. Semi impromptu would be more like a small ungimmicked thing, or something that takes a 2 second set up, or maybe a small gaff, such as the bent coin. If a random person asks me to perform when I don't have the "BOTTLED" gimmick on me, I can't perform it.

Jul 28, 2015

Further more, if I am carrying around a gimmick, it is no longer impromptu, or even semi impromptu, is it? Like, if I am carrying around an (eg) invisible deck with me, it is no longer impromptu. In fact, I wouldn't even consider it semi impromptu. Semi impromptu would be more like a small ungimmicked thing, or something that takes a 2 second set up, or maybe a small gaff, such as the bent coin. If a random person asks me to perform when I don't have the "BOTTLED" gimmick on me, I can't perform it.
That's why I made the distinction and pointed out whats been going on in the magic market regarding supposed impromtu, semi impromtu effects... As for the bent coin eff

Jul 28, 2015

That's why I made the distinction and pointed out whats been going on in the magic market regarding supposed impromtu, semi impromtu effects... As for the bent coin effect I was referring to a borrowed signed coin, no switches, and then bending the coin... to a spectator this seems impromtu on the spot. this is the effect to a lay audience which is the important part, to us we know it's not, we know we have to carry around a special something (utility gimmick) to accomplish the effect making it IMO semi impromptu and not fully impromptu and here lies the difference

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
That's why I made the distinction and pointed out whats been going on in the magic market regarding supposed impromtu, semi impromtu effects... As for the bent coin effect I was referring to a borrowed signed coin, no switches, and then bending the coin... to a spectator this seems impromtu on the spot. this is the effect to a lay audience which is the important part, to us we know it's not, we know we have to carry around a special something (utility gimmick) to accomplish the effect making it IMO semi impromptu and not fully impromptu and here lies the difference
I don't think it's a utility (Bottled, that is). It seems to accomplish oaoo effect.

Semi impromptu would mean it would require a small set up. Not something extra to carry around. For example, if you are doing a super simple mind reading effect using a forced card, you need to position the card somewhere for the force right? However, you can easily do that by culling it to the top, or even simply cutting it there as you speak. That would be semi impromptu. Another example, let's say you were doing a coin effect where you show 4 coins, but you actually need a 5th to accomplish the effect (without the spectator knowing). So, you reach into your pocket and finger palm a coin, then borrow 4 more. That would be semi impromptu.

Needing a gimmick to accomplish an effect makes it not impromptu.

Jul 28, 2015
I don't think it's a utility (Bottled, that is). It seems to accomplish oaoo effect.

Semi impromptu would mean it would require a small set up. Not something extra to carry around. For example, if you are doing a super simple mind reading effect using a forced card, you need to position the card somewhere for the force right? However, you can easily do that by culling it to the top, or even simply cutting it there as you speak. That would be semi impromptu. Another example, let's say you were doing a coin effect where you show 4 coins, but you actually need a 5th to accomplish the effect (without the spectator knowing). So, you reach into your pocket and finger palm a coin, then borrow 4 more. That would be semi impromptu.

Needing a gimmick to accomplish an effect makes it not impromptu.
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=189467&forum=41

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
A) This is a random opinion from the cafe
B) It literally says it can be performed impromptu, not that the trick in and of itself is impromptu.
C) Let's take that as the actual definition. Look at it from this angle:
If you did not expect to perform it, why would you carry the gimmick around with you. Especially something like Bottled, which utilizes a specific scenario (which would be borrowing an empty plastic bottle, one that the spectator is about to throw away, or about to finish, with a specific kind of lid/brand). This is a very specific scenario. No one would carry a gimmick with them in hopes for a specific scenario like this to arise.

I get what you are saying: From a layman's point of view, the trick looks impromptu. At the same time, so should a lot of your other tricks, right? I mean, Angle Z should be made to look 100% impromptu, even though it isn't (I mean, except for the impromptu version). Furthermore, you aren't marketing this to laymen, you are selling it to other magicians, so it should not be referred to as impromptu unless it is truly impromptu. In fact, I would not mind if it is marketed as semi or almost impromptu if it truly required only a one time or easy on the spot set up. However, to market something as impromptu is completely different as an impromptu trick.

Reactions: HectorE1
Jul 28, 2015
That's the point I'm trying to make is that the magic market can sometime be misleading, obviously these effects aren't marketed to a laymen... the point I'm trying to get across is what I believe to be impromtu and semi impromptu and the distinction between one and the other... Also I'm not to sure I agree with you about expecting not to perform a trick and not carrying a gimmick around even if you're not planning on performing it, imo if the opportunity to perform magic presents itself in a natural organic way then you have to be ready and take advantage of the situation, to me this is the best possible way to present and perform magic and the way I prefer to do it and not " hey look a at this mind if I show you something"

For example one time I was at a friend's house and there were a couple of people there the conversation lended itself to coincidence fate and what not somebody asked me to do something so I showed them a couple of card effects that lended itself to the conversation and they enjoyed it after awhile when I was about to leave somebody asked me to do something so I looked around patted my pockets, as if looking for what I can do, and said do you happen to have a napkin or paper towel?? Somebody got me one lended me a lighter and I performed a simple burnt and restored napkin and it got some of the best and authentic reactions I've ever received handed them the napkin and left... that night I had a thumb tip on me not by accident and not expecting to use it... to them that simple trick seemed like real magic, not forced or planned in any way just natural, organic in the moment magic... So yeah sometimes I think you should be prepared even if you're not expecting to do a certain effect the moment might just lend itself to it...

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
That's the point I'm trying to make is that the magic market can sometime be misleading, obviously these effects aren't marketed to a laymen... the point I'm trying to get across is what I believe to be impromtu and semi impromptu and the distinction between one and the other... Also I'm not to sure I agree with you about expecting not to perform a trick and not carrying a gimmick around even if you're not planning on performing it, imo if the opportunity to perform magic presents itself in a natural organic way then you have to be ready and take advantage of the situation, to me this is the best possible way to present and perform magic and the way I prefer to do it and not " hey look a at this mind if I show you something"

For example one time I was at a friend's house and there were a couple of people there the conversation lended itself to coincidence fate and what not somebody asked me to do something so I showed them a couple of card effects that lended itself to the conversation and they enjoyed it after awhile when I was about to leave somebody asked me to do something so I looked around patted my pockets, as if looking for what I can do, and said do you happen to have a napkin or paper towel?? Somebody got me one lended me a lighter and I performed a simple burnt and restored napkin and it got some of the best and authentic reactions I've ever received handed them the napkin and left... that night I had a thumb tip on me not by accident and not expecting to use it... to them that simple trick seemed like real magic, not forced or planned in any way just natural, organic in the moment magic... So yeah sometimes I think you should be prepared even if you're not expecting to do a certain effect the moment might just lend itself to it...

But what I am saying is that a thumb tip is a very versatile utility you can use for many things. You were not planning to do a specific effect, you just knew you could do something with it. Whereas with this gimmick, there is a very specific effect, with a very specific list of cans and cannots. It has to be a plastic bottle, it has to be a specific type, it has to be clear, etc. And then at the end, it is just one effect right? Further more, it's one effect, not a routine. It's not like Odyssey where you can get a full mind blowing routine, and still do multiple effects with it if you know some impromptu ring magic. I would classify Odyssey as semi impromptu, simply because you can do so much with it, and still have a full on routine or even a small 10 min - 15 minute show if you play your cards right.

And further more, I have never seen anything marketed as impromptu when it is not. And the market is actually getting better at this. So why Bottled?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results