Brainwave or Invisible Deck ?????

I was watching a video of a magician and he made a good point about always keeping in his case and invisible deck in his pocket for a safety net in the respect that if he messed up on a trick, you can always just turn it right into a mentalism trick with that and keep rolling. I thought that was some very Sound Advice especially for somebody new into card magic like myself. The personally I think making a brainwave deck can benefit you more and you can have more outcomes if I'm correct. Do you guys prefer one over the other ?? In my eyes they both kind of have the same effect I just like the fact that the brain wave it's also a different color. I think I might make one up today

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
The invisible deck is better as an "out." No matter what, the card that is turned over matches the card from the deck you are using.

As a stand alone effect, the real issue is whether you think the effect is more powerful on its own (thought of card reversed in deck) compared to performing the effect with a "kicker" ending (card reversed and different back from rest of deck). The answer to that is going to depend on how you present the effect.

The invisible deck is better as an "out." No matter what, the card that is turned over matches the card from the deck you are using.

As a stand alone effect, the real issue is whether you think the effect is more powerful on its own (thought of card reversed in deck) compared to performing the effect with a "kicker" ending (card reversed and different back from rest of deck). The answer to that is going to depend on how you present the effect.
Okay I got you thank you, I'm going to at least make the brain wave and give it a go within the next couple days a few times and see how it goes I'll have to work on some patter as well.

Jul 26, 2016
This something I have thought about quite a bit. And I will preface my comment by pointing out that I have not done the Brainwave Deck more than a couple times in a performing situation, so I don't have a practical basis for a fair comparison. However, I have done the ID forever, and it is just so incredibly strong, probably right up there with Card On Ceiling as the card trick that has consistently gotten me the best reactions.

My feeling is that the ID is stronger. Why? First of all, since there is one card face down among all the others when the deck is spread, there is there is that wonderful moment of drama. It is almost as if the effect first gets to play in their imagination - not unusual for their faces to light up in exquisite anticipation and to hear a "WTF" or "NFW" type comment exclaimed. Then when they take the card out, as you know, they are absolutely destroyed. You don't have this with the BW deck, it's face up immediately, kind of "Wham, bam, thank you Mam.""

Now, there is certainly the temptation to follow with the kicker: "And look, it's the only red card in the deck." But that could, in a way, be an anti-climax that blunts the impact of the powerful moment of astonishment they just experienced. I think I would rather just let that moment linger - and they will remember it and talk about it for the rest of their lives. Whereas, introducing the different color back may be overkill. And it may change the track of their state of mind from sheer and utter amazement to putting on their logical hats, leading them to stop and question, "Hmmm a different card - is that really an ordinary deck?" And with the ID I have literally never had anyone question the deck or ask to examine. So, as they say, "If ain't broke, don't fix it."

However, this discussion has me curious and, in fairness, I want to field test it by performing the BW deck and see how the reactions and feedback compare to the ID before coming back with a final verdict. After all, no matter what we might think, the audience is always the jury.

Reactions: CardMagicNJ
This something I have thought about quite a bit. And I will preface my comment by pointing out that I have not done the Brainwave Deck more than a couple times in a performing situation, so I don't have a practical basis for a fair comparison. However, I have done the ID forever, and it is just so incredibly strong, probably right up there with Card On Ceiling as the card trick that has consistently gotten me the best reactions.

My feeling is that the ID is stronger. Why? First of all, since there is one card face down among all the others when the deck is spread, there is there is that wonderful moment of drama. It is almost as if the effect first gets to play in their imagination - not unusual for their faces to light up in exquisite anticipation and to hear a "WTF" or "NFW" type comment exclaimed. Then when they take the card out, as you know, they are absolutely destroyed. You don't have this with the BW deck, it's face up immediately, kind of "Wham, bam, thank you Mam.""

Now, there is certainly the temptation to follow with the kicker: "And look, it's the only red card in the deck." But that could, in a way, be an anti-climax that blunts the impact of the powerful moment of astonishment they just experienced. I think I would rather just let that moment linger - and they will remember it and talk about it for the rest of their lives. Whereas, introducing the different color back may be overkill. And it may change the track of their state of mind from sheer and utter amazement to putting on their logical hats, leading them to stop and question, "Hmmm a different card - is that really an ordinary deck?" And with the ID I have literally never had anyone question the deck or ask to examine. So, as they say, "If ain't broke, don't fix it."

However, this discussion has me curious and, in fairness, I want to field test it by performing the BW deck and see how the reactions and feedback compare to the ID before coming back with a final verdict. After all, no matter what we might think, the audience is always the jury.
Well said you bring up some very great key points !! Although in reference to what you said I wonder if there is a way in BW, you could show the different color back first so it's like ID, and then reveal the card number and suit ? I don't know just some food for thought. Totally agree though it is ultimately up to the audience !!

ID4

Aug 20, 2010
Well said you bring up some very great key points !! Although in reference to what you said I wonder if there is a way in BW, you could show the different color back first so it's like ID, and then reveal the card number and suit ? I don't know just some food for thought. Totally agree though it is ultimately up to the audience !!

Second Sight by Ron Wilson is a handling of what you just described. Aaron Fisher offers it periodically on his site.

Reactions: CardMagicNJ

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
ID is strong, the spectators will not be left wondering why the color of the back did not change as well. It does not need to be improved upon, even if you feel that BW does that. ID is more fool-proof and requires less focus on your part while performing, I find this to be a big point in its favor. With BW there is more of a chance that it will look like you are doing what it is that you are doing.

ID is strong, the spectators will not be left wondering why the color of the back did not change as well. It does not need to be improved upon, even if you feel that BW does that. ID is more fool-proof and requires less focus on your part while performing, I find this to be a big point in its favor. With BW there is more of a chance that it will look like you are doing what it is that you are doing.
Good point there David thank you well said. Especially when you mention the fact it is more fool-proof. I didn't make the deck yet but with all of these positive answers for ID...... I will make an ID deck this weekend, will keep you all posted.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results