Brown Wynns not good for XCM?

Nov 1, 2007
Jerry's were unique in that they were very thin while still being very stiff. Jerry's were great for magic because of that reason, and the fact is, another deck of cards will never be anything like Jerry's Nuggets. Wynns are on an extremely thick stock (four - five cards thicker than a deck of Tallys) and the stiffness is simply from them being so thick.

In short, they're nothing like Jerry's except for the fact that they're stiff and everybody wants them.

Oh, and Aurthur, it's great to hear somebody who has some proof to back up what they're saying. Marlo used Jerry's Nuggets for years, and he's one of the greatest card magicians to ever live.

Dec 11, 2007
Hey all! New guy here! Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents on the brown Wynns.

I ordered them up about a week ago, mostly on a whim, thought I'd see what the fuss was all about then throw them out on Ebay. After playing with them a bit, I'm thinking they're keepers. Granted, I'm new to this stuff, but I've been working with the standard Bikes and out-of-the-box, the Wynn's seem to handle nicer for me. Without analyzing it too much, the Wynns just seem to stick together when I want and spread easily at the same time. Bikes are just so slick or something. I haven't tried the Tally's yet, but they're next.

Quicky intro: I'm just this guy, ya know. Mid-30's, loved cards forever, just recently discovered the magic of flourishing, finally gotten a little free time to practice. I've been lurking in this and a couple of other forums for a bit. T11 definitely has a good bunch of people hanging out here. I think I'll stay a while and hopefully give a little back someday.

See ya round.

I found them horrible out of the box, was quite dissapointed, but once I broke them in a little I'm really enjoying them. I don't want to fully rape them because I can't just go buy more, so I'm taking it easy, but they are very nice so far. It's a new experiance for when you're sick of tally's and bikes.

Sep 5, 2007
man these cards are thick arent they?!!!
quite good if i may add. but the thickest cards that i have handled are prolly the Vegas cards. the are thi thickest cards!! hahaha. nice edges too.. super smooth like silk. wish bikes were like those.

Sep 15, 2007
Marlo used Nuggets?? What?? Where is the proof?
I saw Marlo a number of times and have several older videos of him ranging from the 50's through the late 70's.....no Jerry's nuggets on any of the videos.

I do know through correspondence that Marlo could use any deck handed to him to do magic. I am sure he may have used them a few times but most of the card guys I knew back in the 70's and 80's used Fan Backs, Aristocrats and Bikes. Very few used Tally-Ho. Bee Backs were used by many as well for gambling demos. People at the Castle back then used the Castle Brand and Tally-Ho's and of course Vernon used Bikes alot.

Most old timers will tell you that Jerry's Nuggets were about $.50 a deck and were cheaply made cards. When I worked at the magic shop we closed them out for a blow out of $.25 a deck. We sold three gross of them and they would be good for about a week then you had to toss em because they stuck together or got thick ....they sucked.
I have not seen the Nuggets that the Bucks use or the ones that Chris has but I doubt they are from a better made stock....sheesh you guys are funny to watch and as others have said don't worry so much about the cards worry about getting the practice time in.
They used to make some tricks from the Nugget cards because they were easy to get. Monkey in the middle was one of these tricks made with Nuggets.

I would like to get a deck oif wynns just to play with but man ...not worth the trouble to me to worry about it.
Snorri

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 5, 2007
i just dont get it with you guys looking for some old decks of cards..

i mean, think about it. dont you think that with the current technology, the company making playing cards can't come up with a card that is superior to some vintage out-of-print grampa cards? think about it. jerry's are good out of the box, but the inferior finish to these decks means they dont last that long right? well i have a GN and it didnt live up to the hype, nor the price.
to be honest im better of with TH9s or the Masters by E. on card cuts however i like the Vegas decks because they are thick, smooth on the edges, and they square up precisely. they dont fan good after a while but hey, i use them for cuts not fans.
and the wynn decks.. ohh yes they are thick cards alright. at first i kinda liked them because of the very elegant and simple back design, but thats just about it. the faces on these things are horrible, and they clump, big time.

so as for me, im through with these old out of print cards. im better of with modern cards. cheers

i just dont get it with you guys looking for some old decks of cards..

i mean, think about it. dont you think that with the current technology, the company making playing cards can't come up with a card that is superior to some vintage out-of-print grampa cards? think about it. jerry's are good out of the box, but the inferior finish to these decks means they dont last that long right? well i have a GN and it didnt live up to the hype, nor the price.
to be honest im better of with TH9s or the Masters by E. on card cuts however i like the Vegas decks because they are thick, smooth on the edges, and they square up precisely. they dont fan good after a while but hey, i use them for cuts not fans.
and the wynn decks.. ohh yes they are thick cards alright. at first i kinda liked them because of the very elegant and simple back design, but thats just about it. the faces on these things are horrible, and they clump, big time.

so as for me, im through with these old out of print cards. im better of with modern cards. cheers

Red and Blue Wynns are available for less than I can get TH9's (Stupid Australia) and I prefer the simple back design over that which I've grown used to. Since I rarely fan, I have no problem with clumping and it actually makes doing most cuts easier because the cards hold together better. A super duper forever lasting hyper gloss finish isn't the best when you are trying to do some flourishes, and I have found older decks work much better in some cases. For fans and other things where the finish of the deck is important, then the newer cards are probably better, however all cards have their place, and will benefit different people.

Sep 5, 2007
Red and Blue Wynns are available for less than I can get TH9's (Stupid Australia) and I prefer the simple back design over that which I've grown used to. Since I rarely fan, I have no problem with clumping and it actually makes doing most cuts easier because the cards hold together better. A super duper forever lasting hyper gloss finish isn't the best when you are trying to do some flourishes, and I have found older decks work much better in some cases. For fans and other things where the finish of the deck is important, then the newer cards are probably better, however all cards have their place, and will benefit different people.

hm... seems to me you are right. because even if i do enjoy card cuts, i still want my deck to be super slick and not clumpy at all.
ohh yeah what kind of wynns are you talking about? the new bee wynns?
well for me i preffer cards that hold up well with a stiff stock and very smooth finish, cause i enjoy cutting and fanning at the same time, that is why i preffer the masters deck. it is simple and discreet.
but come to think of it, the wynns do look good on cuts eh.. specially JN's mainly because of the bright color of the back.
ohh well we will just have to see some other peoples comment on this thing.

hm... seems to me you are right. because even if i do enjoy card cuts, i still want my deck to be super slick and not clumpy at all.
ohh yeah what kind of wynns are you talking about? the new bee wynns?
well for me i preffer cards that hold up well with a stiff stock and very smooth finish, cause i enjoy cutting and fanning at the same time, that is why i preffer the masters deck. it is simple and discreet.
but come to think of it, the wynns do look good on cuts eh.. specially JN's mainly because of the bright color of the back.
ohh well we will just have to see some other peoples comment on this thing.

I have only tested the Brown Wynns thus far, but have found them great for cuts because of their general clumping behavior. While they may not Thumb Fan for very long, they LePaul Spread (Which I adore) fine which is what I mostly do. I love fanning the much as the next person, for that I buy $2 Bikes and they suffice, but when I want to do cuts, they are just a little too mushy, and the stiffness of the Brown Wynns really shines when you use them one after the other.

Aug 31, 2007
California
yeah that's weird. I got mine probably 20~30 days or so ago, and I've been using the same deck of Brown Wynns for magic and flourishing and they still are superb. Maybe it's the climate of where you live? Or maybe you didn't handle them right.

Sep 1, 2007
um, I don't think it's because I didn't handle thm right.

many many people are posting all around that the cards clump. it's just that some people LIKE clumpy finish!

not me tho...

Sep 2, 2007
um, I don't think it's because I didn't handle thm right.

many many people are posting all around that the cards clump. it's just that some people LIKE clumpy finish!

not me tho...

Look what you've stirred up Trash. Anyway I've posted a review for browen wynn's and I like them, they clump after maybe a week of use if you used them 3 hours a day.

Bascially if you're good at flourishing it doesn't matter what cards you use. I can use plastic cards if I want too, just sometimes the feel of the cards aren't good and sometimes you buy cards because of their looks.

i.e the wynn's

new bike's are just as effective for magic or flourishing as wynn's just wynn's look better.

That's my opnion

Sep 1, 2007
i agree with you that bikes are really good for magic or flourishing. i got some for christmas and I'm sacrificing them to LePaul.

Sep 2, 2007
i agree with you that bikes are really good for magic or flourishing. i got some for christmas and I'm sacrificing them to LePaul.

rofl, I can't do a lepaul to save my life.

But that's what I'd like to see in your next video, a lepaul spread.

Sorry to say i'm tired of the same old armspreads.

I love LePaul Spreads, one downside to Wynn's is they are so stiff I'm still building the hand strength to do it smoothly with them. Can't do Under Pressure either, damn thier thickness :p I tried going back to Bicycles, but they just seem so squishy in comparison.

Sep 1, 2007
rofl, I can't do a lepaul to save my life.

But that's what I'd like to see in your next video, a lepaul spread.

Sorry to say i'm tired of the same old armspreads.

sorry to disappoint but you aren't going to see me doing LePauls in my next video, or any time soon. in fact you are going to hate my next video - I accepted a battle challenge due next wednesday - it's "armspreads only" LOL :eek:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results