Bullet

This is my review for Bullet reposted from the Ellusionist forums.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Hello all! I purchased the download version of Bullet the day of release and am overall quite pleased with it. In this review I am going to try to be as unbiased and objective as I can by giving the good and the bad and refraining from using fancy adjectives to glorify the effect. Before you read, keep in mind that I’m very tired and am commenting on the video from memory (I don’t have the video to reference because it is not n this computer) so I’ll undoubtedly forget to mention things I should have. I’ll try to add those in tomorrow. Until then, enjoy!

The Effect: A coin is borrowed and slammed through the bottom of an empty bottle.

The Method: Contrary to what some believe, Bullet DOES require set up. SO many people seem to think that no set up and impromptu are synonymous when in fact they are two separate things. Impromptu means you can do it on the spot, no set up means just that; you don’t have to secretly stack or prepare anything. It is very possible however, for an effect to be impromptu but require a setup. This is just the case with Bullet. The set up is incredibly simple, although it is a bit difficult to do in front of a spectator without arousing suspicion. After the initial set up there are really only one (or two depending on your definition of a sleight) sleight.

For the signed coin variation of Bullet there is a tiny bit of extra set up and involves another sleight. Personally, I don’t see the point of the signed coin version. In the original Bullet effect, you “prove” it is the same coin by calling attention to the date on the coin. To me it is much more practical and natural to identify a coin by its date rather than a signature. To me signing a coin is awkward and interrupts the flow of the effect. It takes away the candid, off-the-cuff feeling. There isn’t too much else to say regarding the technical methodology behind Bullet, simply because there isn’t much else to it, it’s very simple and to-the-point.

The Teaching: The teaching of Bullet for the most part was great. It’s hard to elaborate because the mechanics are so simple that it would be hard to teach the effect poorly. The only thing I have to say about the teaching is I wish Justin elaborated more on how to set up in front of the spectator. I personally am satisfied setting up the effect beforehand, but I know that many people are interested in Bullet because it can be performed on the spot and unfortunately, Justin just barely touched on a way to cover setting up. On the other hand, this isn’t completely a bad thing. Not having someone spoon-feed you everything makes you use your brain and think.

Pros:

Very simple mechanics.
Very visual, smooth penetration.
Can use a borrowed bottle
Bottle and coin can be examined
No gimmicks
Compared to some other Coin In Bottle Effects, very good angle coverage.

Cons:

Set up
Can’t borrow bottle and immediately perform penetration
Bottle can’t be handled by spectator prior to penetration

Final Words
: Many of you are probably asking “What is so special about Bullet? What makes it any better than other Coin In Bottle effects?” In terms of sleight of hand, there isn’t anything new or revolutionary about Bullet. There are no new concepts or moves, or even a unique approach to the coin in bottle effect. What makes Bullet different, to me at least, is how well structured and thought-out the routine is. Matthew Mello and Nick Verna filed Bullet down to the fewest possible sleights, and were able to retain fairness, fluency and visualness (I totally just made that word up) of the effect. So for anyone seeking a direct, easy to do, no gimmicks Coin In Bottle, I recommend Bullet to you. If however, you already know a solid CIB that works for you and are searching for new CIB concepts or sleights, I think you will be disappointed with Bullet. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
They have the same principle in the method, I don't get why they are in different DVDs.

I do agree that Factory Sealed looks more unbelievable, but let's not make this a FS vs. Bullet thread.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Nice review as always from you Jeff :D

I disagree with your second con however. It CAN be done with a borrowed bottle and immediately perform*; Justin even performs it with a borrowed bottle and the DVD takes you through briefly how this can be done. It is NOT however taught in great detail, you'll have to watch it two or three times to get down and then have the balls to try it out.

* I tend to think of the routine as a whole rather than just the penetration, which is why I say that you can immediately perform with a borrowed bottle. To you, you haven't done the penetration the second you grab the bottle from them. However to a spectator, you borrowed their bottle, borrowed their coin and shoved the damn coin right through it.

This might've sounded a tad pedantic, but I thought I'd mention it being as you put in your pro's that it could be done with a borrowed bottle.

Again, nice review as always; I thoroughly enjoy reading your reviews. :)

- Sean

Sep 9, 2007
honestly, i think with bullet they just sold some common sense. There is no clever, earth shattering method there. When i watched it, I was like "WTF? I chipped in for THIS?" (Myself and a friend when in half each for FS/B)

I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed. I can't even explain why, because it would lead to exposure, but watch it and see. I can't see this being a workable trick, at least not for me.

Nice review as always from you Jeff :D

I disagree with your second con however. It CAN be done with a borrowed bottle and immediately perform*; Justin even performs it with a borrowed bottle and the DVD takes you through briefly how this can be done. It is NOT however taught in great detail, you'll have to watch it two or three times to get down and then have the balls to try it out.

Sorry about that, I should have said "can not immediately perform penetration", I'll go edit that now.

EDIT: I'm glad you like my reviews! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly, i think with bullet they just sold some common sense. There is no clever, earth shattering method there. When i watched it, I was like "WTF? I chipped in for THIS?" (Myself and a friend when in half each for FS/B)

I gotta say, I was pretty disappointed. I can't even explain why, because it would lead to exposure, but watch it and see. I can't see this being a workable trick, at least not for me.

You sure about that? If you bought the effect then obviously you were fooled by the preview video. If it was just "common sense", then why did you have to watch the explanation to figure it out?

Sep 9, 2007
You sure about that? If you bought the effect then obviously you were fooled by the preview video. If it was just "common sense", then why did you have to watch the explanation to figure it out?

actually, I wanted FS, and someone else I knew wanted to chip in so we just bought both with the discount. I just watched the trailer (which like most trailers, don't really show alot) and it looked like any other CIB, so i figured, "what the hell, why not grab both".

If you've seen it, don't try and tell anyone that the "method" isn't common sense. I would never expect anyone to try to pass that off as a legitimate illusion.

and personally, I don't think it's very workable either because they don't really get a clear view of the bottle. I myself have a HUGE issue with that.

actually, I wanted FS, and someone else I knew wanted to chip in so we just bought both with the discount. I just watched the trailer (which like most trailers, don't really show alot) and it looked like any other CIB, so i figured, "what the hell, why not grab both".

If you've seen it, don't try and tell anyone that the "method" isn't common sense. I would never expect anyone to try to pass that off as a legitimate illusion.

and personally, I don't think it's very workable either because they don't really get a clear view of the bottle. I myself have a HUGE issue with that.

Let me get this straight, you thought it was just like any other CIB and you still bought it?? And why is it bad if a method is "common sense"? Would you rather it be complicated?

Sep 9, 2007
Let me get this straight, you thought it was just like any other CIB and you still bought it?? And why is it bad if a method is "common sense"? Would you rather it be complicated?

I guess I wasn't totally clear there.

I meant it SEEMED as good as any other CIB, so i figured why not. And it was on sale as a set, so that sort of added to the "why not" mentality. The trailer doesn't really show any close ups, and is pretty tiny (as most are) so it SEEMED relatively good.

And I didn't say I wanted it to be complicated, I just don't think that's even really a method. I can't even explain what's wrong with it without exposing the "method". The method is something pretty obvious, so obvious I didn't expect anyone to try to sell it.

Dec 16, 2007
London
I love this trick, not because it uses a cool new method, but because it is well thought out, well structed, workable effect, that can be done at a moments notice. All of the fine details that justin goes into are great- especially those in the Airbourne explanation, and signed versions.

You are paying for tried and tested ideas, formed into a smooth performable peice of magic. I rate this trick highly along with Factory Sealed. I dont care about any of the hype, or abour Ellusionists repuation, that is all besides the point, this is a very good CIB that i will perform all the time, 10 pounds well spent in my opinion.

Oh, and if someone give you a bottle, just ask them to have a look for a coin, and there you have it, perfect misdirection to do whatever you need to.

I guess I wasn't totally clear there.

I meant it SEEMED as good as any other CIB, so i figured why not. And it was on sale as a set, so that sort of added to the "why not" mentality. The trailer doesn't really show any close ups, and is pretty tiny (as most are) so it SEEMED relatively good.

And I didn't say I wanted it to be complicated, I just don't think that's even really a method. I can't even explain what's wrong with it without exposing the "method". The method is something pretty obvious, so obvious I didn't expect anyone to try to sell it.

Well clearly the spectators Justin performed for didn't think it was obvious :)

Sep 1, 2007
Los Angeles, California
Because they are laymen.

I however found it really obvious... and just stumbled upon the method on the trailer.

Don't worry folks, I don't even do coin magic or any CIBs of that matter to perform it.

Sep 1, 2007

This is precisely why I never perform in front of magicians and why the only other performer I'd ever show a performance video to is a mentor.

Sep 9, 2007
Well it really doesn't matter if a magician thinks it's obvious or not because magicians don't perform for magicians, they perform for laymen.

Even still, I personally can't see this fooling very many people in person. They can't even get a good look at the bottle before the trick. That, and it doesn't really gel with my style. I like to be able to show as much of the bottle as possible.

Oct 10, 2007
They can't even get a good look at the bottle before the trick. That, and it doesn't really gel with my style. I like to be able to show as much of the bottle as possible.

Actually they get to see most of the bottle. Only the bottom of the bottle is covered.

However, the bottom is the point where the coin penetrates. To me, it would look better if the hand is not covering the point of penetration.

There are other CTBs, where you can hold the top of the bottle, show that the bottle is empty (including the bottom), and still penetrate the coin through the bottom. Yes the coin flies through the bottom like in Bullet.

Some people might think that the method of Bullet is too obvious and simple. Well actually, the method in Bullet was used in other CTBs too. That is one of the main method of CTBs effects. Bullet uses that same method, with a different grip of the bottle.

Many of you are probably asking “What is so special about Bullet? What makes it any better than other Coin In Bottle effects?” In terms of sleight of hand, there isn’t anything new or revolutionary about Bullet. There are no new concepts or moves, or even a unique approach to the coin in bottle effect. What makes Bullet different, to me at least, is how well structured and thought-out the routine is. Matthew Mello and Nick Verna filed Bullet down to the fewest possible sleights, and were able to retain fairness, fluency and visualness (I totally just made that word up) of the effect. So for anyone seeking a direct, easy to do, no gimmicks Coin In Bottle, I recommend Bullet to you. If however, you already know a solid CIB that works for you and are searching for new CIB concepts or sleights, I think you will be disappointed with Bullet. Thanks for reading.

I agreed. There is nothing new or special about Bullet. If you are looking for new concepts and ideas, you will be disappointed.

But if you are totally new to CTB effects and you think the $24.95 price tag for a CTB trick is reasonable, then get Bullet. It might not be as strong as some other CTBs, but it is very easy to perform. Great for beginners.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results