Calen Morelli - Odyssey Ring Size

Jun 13, 2013
What finger should I size for and should the fit be tight and snug?

I see in the demo, Callen makes the ring appear to and fro to the middle finger so I assume I should size for that

I do De'Ring, Ring Thing etc. with a size 10 /11,
It's quite loose for the third finger but very tight for the middle finger (barely gets past the 2nd joint) so in this case should I be aiming for size 11/12?

Also for the size conversion chart, should the black outline be visible, barely visible or barely covered by the ring? (Do I have to print it out to be accurate or just have it show 100% on the monitor)

Sorry for all the questions but just want to get this right. Thanks!

Reactions: ARTITUS

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
What finger should I size for and should the fit be tight and snug?

I see in the demo, Callen makes the ring appear to and fro to the middle finger so I assume I should size for that

I do De'Ring, Ring Thing etc. with a size 10 /11,
It's quite loose for the third finger but very tight for the middle finger (barely gets past the 2nd joint) so in this case should I be aiming for size 11/12?

Also for the size conversion chart, should the black outline be visible, barely visible or barely covered by the ring? (Do I have to print it out to be accurate or just have it show 100% on the monitor)

Sorry for all the questions but just want to get this right. Thanks!
Odyssey should work from any finger except your little finger. Pick whichever finger you would like to wear the ring on, and buy that size. You get a non-gimmicked ring the same size you order, and a matching gimmick ring that is one size LARGER for performance purposes. This allows you to wear a cool ring wherever you go without having to worry about damaging or losing the gimmick, and you can easily swap it out for the gimmick before a performance or hand it out instead of the gimmick afterwards.

Reactions: faizpardesi
Aug 17, 2016
I had the same question the wider the band, the narrower it will feel in most standard rings meaning a 11 ring that is wide may feel like a 10.

Unsure about this but the second I ordered instantly thought I should have gone. 1/2 or full size longer but haven't had it in hand and was wanting the same feed back from someone who has had them in hand.

Thanks in advance.

R

theSunnyG

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2012
So I heard that the gimmicked version is one size larger than the ungimmicked one provided.
And on Instagram, Theory11 mentioned you can wear the gimmicked version as an everyday ring without it slipping off or breaking, so I'm getting it's pretty robust, and if that's the case should I order a size smaller so I can wear the gimmicked one all day err'day?

Reactions: Ky
Dec 14, 2015
France
Hi, this is my first post here.

I've read about Odyssey at Magic Café, and I'm quite impressed. I want to know which ring size I should buy if my middle finger is about 8.5 in size. Should the ring size be a little bit bigger than the size I would usually wear so that the trick works better ? (in Banded by Garrett Thomas, it was recommended that the size is bigger than your size)

Thanks in advance,
Marc.

RKMagic

Elite Member
May 14, 2011
Atlanta, GA
So I heard that the gimmicked version is one size larger than the ungimmicked one provided.
And on Instagram, Theory11 mentioned you can wear the gimmicked version as an everyday ring without it slipping off or breaking, so I'm getting it's pretty robust, and if that's the case should I order a size smaller so I can wear the gimmicked one all day err'day?
I was thinking about rocking the gimmicked ring everyday as well so that I could instantly go into the effect with no switch. I would think the best option would be to order a size down, but I would wait for an answer from either Casey or Lyle. :)

Reactions: Ky

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com

Can you wear the gimmick everyday? Yes. Should you? Probably not. The gimmick is not nearly as indestructible as the matching tungsten ring we provide. The non-gimmicked tungsten ring is a good ring for everyday wear. The gimmick also could fall off and be lost if you aren't careful. This is one of the main reasons we provide the tungsten ring as well - it gives you the ability to wear the apparently same ring every day. The gimmick, while designed to last many, many performances, does require protection from day to day wear and tear.

I was thinking about rocking the gimmicked ring everyday as well so that I could instantly go into the effect with no switch. I would think the best option would be to order a size down, but I would wait for an answer from either Casey or Lyle. :)

See above regarding wearing the ring every day.

want to know which ring size I should buy if my middle finger is about 8.5 in size. Should the ring size be a little bit bigger than the size I would usually wear so that the trick works better ? (in Banded by Garrett Thomas, it was recommended that the size is bigger than your size)

For sizing - Pick the finger you want to wear the ring on (any one but your little finger will be fine, the little finger's ring would be too small). Order that size. You will get a tungsten ring that matches that size AND a gimmick that is one size larger automatically. If you order size 8, you will get a size 8 ring to wear and a size 9 gimmick for performance reasons. No need to order larger for this trick.

I hope this helps!

// L

Dec 14, 2015
France
Thanks Lyle Borders for answering my question. It helped me to choose the right size.

I placed the order, 1 hour and half ago (it's annoying the shipping cost is so high for France). I selected ring size 8, more appropriate for me.

I watched the video. Looks great and seems very, very, very easy to learn, but I hope my first impression is wrong about the gimmicked ring. For what I've seen, (edited for method exposure).

Well, I guess I will tell you more as soon as I receive it.

theSunnyG

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2012
@MarcH5 Would love an update when you receive it.

I had doubts about being able to wear it everyday as well. Little disappointed that 2 people were told that they could easily wear it as an everyday ring on IG!
I had my suspicions and it was actually my girlfriend that also noticed something odd about the material during the trailer, I too hope it doesn't look fake - but would love to see more reviews come in first.

Dec 14, 2015
France
@MarcH5 Would love an update when you receive it.

I had doubts about being able to wear it everyday as well. Little disappointed that 2 people were told that they could easily wear it as an everyday ring on IG!
I had my suspicions and it was actually my girlfriend that also noticed something odd about the material during the trailer, I too hope it doesn't look fake - but would love to see more reviews come in first.

I understand your feelings. Of course I will say more about the quality and look of the prop once I get it.

There is only one product I bought before any reviews were made; it was the bill trick SPLIT. And it was one of my worst purchase in magic. I hope this one is not following this path.

You can wear the ring, but of course there is reason why people here don't recommend that. Having seen the video, I know understand, it's probably because if you wear the gimmicked ring all the day, there is a chance it will fall at any moment, and especially if you run (e.g., to catch the bus... which is one of my favorite sport). Also, if you wear it all the day, it may have some scratches and it may cause the gimmicked ring (edited for method exposure).

I think, indeed, you need to take care of it, so that the gimmicked ring looks always nice.

P.S.: by the way, I'm surprised no one said that earlier, but in the thread title, it's written Callen, while it should have been Calen.

Dec 14, 2015
France
@Casey Rudd

Thanks for your answer. In general, I don't try to prove anything when I use gimmicks (whether it's a wallet, coin, etc.) so that wouldn't be a problem here, and as for the fact that in many situations, people don't ask to examine the ring, I can understand that, it's something personal, like a wallet. I have also heard many magicians saying that's not quite easy to ask for a ring to perform ring flight routines because indeed a ring is something very personal.

But anyway, I appreciate that you've performed it and say there is nothing wrong. I trust what you say, but I still want to see it for myself what kind of reaction it gets. I'm nervous mostly because I don't usually buy a trick before reading reviews. I only did that once before and I regretted it. I heard many comments here and there about the product being out of stock that I felt the urge to buy it.

May 6, 2014
Don't know if this has been asked on this thread, but if i ordered and the ring isn't the right size, could i get a replacement ring in another size? Thanks!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
Don't know if this has been asked on this thread, but if i ordered and the ring isn't the right size, could i get a replacement ring in another size? Thanks!
Of course - our support team is always here to help. In short summary though: measure your ring size based on your INDEX finger, and you should be all set.

If in doubt, you can always go by a local jewelry store and they could surely confirm your size.

Mar 20, 2016
I called support before I ever ordered the ring just to confirm that I was supposed to order the ring true to my ring size. They said yes. Unfortunately, I did not think far enough ahead to realize I would be using it on my middle and index finger as well! (That one's on me).

I got the shipment today and the ungimmicked ring fits true to size of 12, but (and this could be because of larger fingers?) the ungimmicked ring being a size up still did not work with my middle or index fingers. I already talked to support and I will be shipping it back for an exchange to size 13 tomorrow. The ungimmicked ring will be big for my ring fingers, but I would rather have a gimmick that fits optimal to performance...black tungsten rings are not hard to find if I want to get one that looks exactly like the ungimmicked one in my size. It's a great buy!

j.bayme

ceo / theory11
Team member
Jul 23, 2007
New York City
I called support before I ever ordered the ring just to confirm that I was supposed to order the ring true to my ring size. They said yes. Unfortunately, I did not think far enough ahead to realize I would be using it on my middle and index finger as well! (That one's on me).

I got the shipment today and the ungimmicked ring fits true to size of 12, but (and this could be because of larger fingers?) the ungimmicked ring being a size up still did not work with my middle or index fingers. I already talked to support and I will be shipping it back for an exchange to size 13 tomorrow. The ungimmicked ring will be big for my ring fingers, but I would rather have a gimmick that fits optimal to performance...black tungsten rings are not hard to find if I want to get one that looks exactly like the ungimmicked one in my size. It's a great buy!
No worries, Josh! Our support crew will make sure that's fixed up for you ASAP!

Reactions: joshjmill
Mar 20, 2016
No worries, Josh! Our support crew will make sure that's fixed up for you ASAP!
I have no worries! Theory11's customer support has always been second to none! Once I have my sizing right, and after some practice, this will be a 5 star review for sure!

May 6, 2014
I apologise if this is the wrong place to ask this, but when is the QnA podcast with Calen Morelli and where will it be found? Thanks.

RKMagic

Elite Member
May 14, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I've been hearing from people who have received Odyssey that the gimmicked ring seems to be nearly identical in size to that of the ungimmicked ring. Will the sizing issue be corrected when the next batch of Odyssey is restocked?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
Hello,

The gimmick ring is one size larger than the normal ring because the things we do to make it a gimmick cause the ring to be slightly smaller. They intentionally end up about the same size. If we used a gimmick the same size as the non-gimmicked ring, the gimmick would be smaller than you wear, and that is a problem.

If you wear a size 8 ring comfortably (not crazy tight), the size 8 gimmick pack has what you need.

// L

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results