Card to impossible location.

Hey guys, I'm looking for a card to impossible location that requires no palming. (and let me explain before you get all high and mighty saying kids these days don't wanna put the effort in). mercury card fold to a finger palm is totally fine though. preferably not a gimmick I'll have to buy

The I'm looking for a no palm CTIL (abbreviations are the way of the future) is because i have tiny hands, and i mean tiny. the width of a card is bigger than the distance from my pinkie to my... (im not sure what that part of your first finger is called).

Thanks and much appreciated
-Anthony

Dec 29, 2011
This is something that is best to probably think up yourself, you'll end up performing it much better than just learning it, just see what you can come up with.
Using dupe cards is a good first step, a hell of a lot can be done, however FAX by Loki Kross might help you make this slightly more powerful. not that it needs to be. Magicians wax is also great for cards to walls or ceilings. Something like the UCCU: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2546 has good reviews and can be used for this application, not just wallets. Finally I'm going to suggest Angle Zero, available here, by Daniel Madison, I know its not the whole card, but its really really great.

I hope I've given you plenty to work with.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Hey guys, I'm looking for a card to impossible location that requires no palming. (and let me explain before you get all high and mighty saying kids these days don't wanna put the effort in). mercury card fold to a finger palm is totally fine though. preferably not a gimmick I'll have to buy

The I'm looking for a no palm CTIL (abbreviations are the way of the future) is because i have tiny hands, and i mean tiny. the width of a card is bigger than the distance from my pinkie to my... (im not sure what that part of your first finger is called).

-Anthony

I wanted to address the bold section of your post first. . . to the chagrin of many in magic, we no longer find much on the size of card decks, nor is there much consideration when it comes to all the neat decks being published BUT, have you ever tried using Bridge sized cards? They are significantly more narrow than the more common Poker sized card and thus, easier for people with thinner "artist hands" to work with. . . this would be my first suggestion. My second suggestion is to NOT use initials, there are lots of old farts on these forums that a.) don't know what they refer to; and b.) refuse to help individuals that don't take the time to use short-hand I.D. properly e.g. Use the full term early in the post/paragraph then, in ( ) insert the initials for the sake of future reference. This is very similar to how Lawyers draft contracts and legal papers, which is where the concept comes from. Your present approach is more akin to the military & government where such short-hand is common speak as a kind of arrogant code.

If you have problems with palming you might consider using forces, this would allow you to pre-set the reveal, which actually makes the revelation stronger in that you can allow a spectator to cut into the lemon, open the tin can or whatever the case. . . you never go near it. I used to do this with cigarettes and drive people nuts . . .
. . . I would literally have about 4 pre-set cigs in my pocket two with brown filters that were standard flavor, two with brown filters that were menthol and one all white "Lady's" cigarette. . . I would snag the right one from my pocket (brand . . . I made certain I had the correct brands based on popular use) and load it into a person's cigarette pack long before we moved into the actual routine. When I ended up not finding their card I'd have them check out their pack of smokes. . . of course, there's nothing there until later. . . usually within 5 minutes of my leaving the table I loud obscenity would be heard . . . seems the person in question tried to light a cigarette that had no "draw" to it. Upon inspecting the stick they would notice something strange. . . their playing card rolled up in a nice tube and inside the cigarette itself. . .

. . . I got more free drinks with that one. . .​

The point is, you can do a heck of a lot just by using a force and having a duplicate sat in your unlikely spot. If you're any good at pick-pocket work you can easily load a card in a person's pocket or purse, which really drives them crazy. I knew a guy in Ohio that would load a card in a person's sock he was so smooth. So it really boils down to using your imagination in ways to pre-set things and having a couple of very free flowing force methods.

May 9, 2012
New York
angle zero by daniel madison is pretty good and easy but its only a torn corner to an impossible location. not sure if its what your looking for but you should check it out.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
There are a ton of card to impossible location plots that use torn corners. You can find a good method for this in the Klutz book of magic. You don't need to palm a card for a good portion of card to impossible location.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There are a ton of card to impossible location plots that use torn corners. You can find a good method for this in the Klutz book of magic. You don't need to palm a card for a good portion of card to impossible location.

I do a card to nested series of boxes using a the torn corner method explained in Mark Wilson's Complete Course. I think it might be from a card to wallet routine. I also think there is a routine in there using a DB card (sorry for the abbreviation Craig...).

You could also use a gambler's cop instead of a palm. Cop the card, give the deck to the spectator and have them look for their card. While they are doing that, you could bring in a small elephant into the room and plant the card under its butt without anyone noticing.

have you ever tried using Bridge sized cards?
i haven't, and i don't plan to. every sleight i know is done with poker sized playing cards. And while it might be easy to transition over, it also might not. so no I'm not going to be using bridge sized playing cards.

as for say saying "CTIL" instead of "card to impossible location" the first time i wrote this post i had written card to impossible location practically three times in a row and it sounded weird to me so i rephrased part of it and abbreviated one.

also i would prefer if the card could be signed.

angle zero by daniel madison is pretty good and easy but its only a torn corner to an impossible location.

hmm might be interesting. although i think its more magical with a whole card.

You could also use a gambler's cop instead of a palm

While I'm confident using a gamblers cop, it's extremely angle sensitive

Anyway thanks for all the suggestions.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
i haven't, and i don't plan to. every sleight i know is done with poker sized playing cards. And while it might be easy to transition over, it also might not. so no I'm not going to be using bridge sized playing cards.

You know, I offered you a very probable solution to your card handling problem and then you come back with this very arrogant retort. . . arrogant in that you are saying, in so many words, that you don't want to overcome obstacles that are in your way and too, you aren't willing to learn if it's not easy for you.

I detest this lazy attitude for many reasons starting with the fact that our industry is filled with amazing people that overcame strokes and a long range of other disabilities, some of them uncanny masters of card magic and they can only use one hand.

Maybe I'm being bias here in that I'm one of those people who has to learn to overcome their limitations due to a disability that's getting worse on a monthly basis. But when we all see so many examples of mastery done by folks that do things most "normal" people can't even do (aren't willing to learn) and then we find some squirt wiggling his spoiled butt saying he hasn't the desire to learn and overcome an obstacle and basically wants free and easy access. . . sorry Charlie, but I think you may start seeing the information flow slowing down until you actually choose to invest yourself into the craft and learn . . . grow!

Feb 10, 2013
Trust me, you can palm a card. I have tiny hands as well but I can do it. It just takes practice to get used to the feeling and to get more comfortable and natural while holding a palmed card. You have to be willing to put time into the things you want to improve at. Saying you can't and giving up is not the way to go.

By the way, you don't need to palm a card so it is completely invisible. It just takes some misdirection and acting natural to hide the fact that the card is there and eliminate suspicion.

A way that i do it and it does require palming to throw them off but i palm the top card off the deck making it obvious so it shouldn't be too hard to make it obvious then i wipe it on my jeans and acts like i show my hands clean but then we both notice it is not.
Put it on top of the deck again and pretend to palm it but don't. They begin to think, "i know what he is doing, its a good palm but it wont fool me." Then do the same thing as before pretending to vanish it as you wipe your leg.
This allows you to push out the card while they are distracted and put it in your back pocket. Then show your hand is empty cut the deck and let them look for their card, this allows you to take their card and put it where ever you want.

You know, I offered you a very probable solution to your card handling problem and then you come back with this very arrogant retort. . . arrogant in that you are saying, in so many words, that you don't want to overcome obstacles that are in your way and too, you aren't willing to learn if it's not easy for you.

see this is why i hate communicating over the internet. Theres no tone! I'm sorry if you took any offense to what i said, i literally meant "no thanks and here's why i said no..."

and then we find some squirt wiggling his spoiled butt saying he hasn't the desire to learn and overcome an obstacle and basically wants free and easy access

i felt this was unnecessary...

And one more side note, did you just compare having small hands to being in a wheel chair? seriously?

As for the rest of you, Thanks for the help and suggestions but im not looking for tips on how to palm. The whole point was i wanted one without palming. Maybe one day I'll invest the time and learn to palm, but until I decide to I'm quite content.
(if anyone cares i settled on a signed card ending up folded in a sealed envelope)

-Anthony

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
And one more side note, did you just compare having small hands to being in a wheel chair?

I think Craig would agree that there is NO comparison. What he was saying is that if he can overcome being in a wheelchair and Rene Levand can overcome losing the use of his hand, you can overcome "small hands." Christopher often links to a video of a magician who performs without any hands - there is a great one of this magician performing in a hotel room for some of the best know card guys and flooring them.

For the record, hand size doesn't matter in palming. It done correctly, nobody will be looking at your hands and it is impossible to see the card through the windows between your fingers if your hand is in motion. It is about technique, structured misdirection and confidence. To be honest, if you can do a mercury card fold, you can palm.

There is a grad quote in one of my favorite books (and I think it is one of Craig's favorites too). In Richard Bach's Illusions he says "argue your limitations and, sure enough, they are yours."

I'm glad you found something that works for you. However, I think that you are thinking very much like a magician by insisting on th signed card going to the desired location. The corner matched method or the double backed method in Marc Wilson's book is the same effect in the spectator's mind. Dani DaOrtiz said something this weekend that somehow sounds better when he says it than when I do, "what matters is not the trick but the magician." All magic is an illusion in that the spectators see and remember what we want them to see and remember. Learn to rely on your strengths as a magician and less on the strengths of the trick.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results