Cardistry... is it Public Domain?

Oct 13, 2008
I got my wheels spinning the other day when I was watching (and listening) to my friend absolutely shred away on his guitar. Music, guitar in particular, and soloing even more particular, is a peculiar institution. As an art, music really just a medium of expression. If one person plays the same as the other person, no one really criticizes them. If a burgeoning guitarist plays Led Zeppelin songs, is he committing a crime? Or is he just playing it because he enjoys it?

I raised a similar question to myself about Cardistry and the Art of Flourishing: is Cardistry public domain? Can one person perform a move invented by someone else and really be called a thief, or perhaps at worst just "unoriginal?" Is it really a crime to mimic someone else's moves, and not claim them as your own?

I personally feel that Cardistry as an art is under public domain. Many people share technique on simple things like fans, swing cuts, deck flips, etc., but when it comes to other more complex flourishes, people are reluctant to say more than mum.

What does everyone else think? And by all means, crucify my opinion, but respect the fact that there is always more than one way to look at an issue, and to debate the points, not the person.

Sun|Sky

liquidsn

Tony Chang / Creator, Be Kind Change, DVR, The Uni
Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
there's nothing wrong with that. But if your friend is playing Led Zeppelin and claiming that it is HIS Song, then there is a problem.

Oct 21, 2007
Interesting topic,
nothing is wrong with using another flourisher's moves, especaily if your just doing them. But some flourishers dont allow you to put their original cuts in a video you produce unless you ask them, but personaly I dont think that is right because we should work to progress the art by sharing our ideas instead of working for personlal glory.
-Tash

Asking permission to use a cut is stupid, if you don't want anyone to use it, don't show anyone except like really close friends or something. Don't show off your mad skills, then wonder why people try and copy your work. People make covers of msuic all the time, people create paintings all the time. Sure, they may not do it perfectly, but they aren't the same creator, as if you can expect the quality. I hear things like "Ugh don't do my move unless you can do it properly", it's just greedy bullcrap. You don't see the Bucks crying because someone didn't do Pandora as super fast and smooth as them, nor do they care about the people that slowed down their videos back in the day to learn the moves that way.

If you want to make a profit off your moves, just do it already none of this "It's coming sometime never", or limited releases so that moves can stay "cool and underground". If you want to limit tutorials to just people you know and trust with "underground videos" or whatever, then that's upto you. But getting annoyed someone mimicked you from a video, or used a move without asking you in hand written triplicate for permission is just a little big headed in my opinion. It's not like anyone doesn't usually credit every cardist ever at the end of their video anyway, so it's not even going creditless it's just going "preasked permissionless" which makes no sense. They aren't making crappy tutorials of your work, they aren't claiming it as their own, why the hell are you so upset, what happened to copying being a form of flattery?

Sep 1, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I agree with UnholyGodn. Wouldn't you be proud knowing that someone out there appreciates your work enough to try and do it themselves? They're not learning it because "omgz itz so undurgrowndz!" but because they like the actual flourish and would like to perform it. Please stop getting all cocky about it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results