Celebracadabra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2007
VH1 further cements their move toward more of an entertainment network than a music one. Rumors of a show by the name of Celebracadabra have been echoing across cyberspace for a couple months now. Finally, some official info has been released.

Right now, they're still being rather mysterious about it, but the show will be contest between 7 celebrities (the only one we can confirm for certain at this point is Kim Wyatt of The Pussycat Dolls). Each will be personally coached by a professional magician to learn new routines. At the end of each week, they'll perform in venues such as The Magic Castle to real audiences as well as a panel of judges that include Jeff McBride and Max Maven.

There's a $100,000 dollar prize for the winner, which if you think about it will probably go toward one of their favorite charities or pet causes.

Right now it's believed the show will air in April and (allegedly) will run as a 7-part series.

The producer is a magician himself and got it in writing that no effect will be deliberately exposed on the air.

Frankly, I'm looking forward to this. Phenomenon tanked in ratings and was ineptly handled. It was a colossal disappointment. Maybe now we'll get something worth watching.

I did some cruising around the blogosphere for more information. A couple of the coaches have been confirmed, but aside from Kim Wyatt, the identities of the other celebrities are still a mystery with only vague clues being dropped here and there. Speaking of, Miss Wyatt's fanbase is apparently getting pretty jazzed about this. If this is a success, it could be one of the best media events for magic in recent years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 2, 2007
Wow, I might actually start watching tv again. This sounds like it could be pretty sweet.

Thanks for sharing Steerpike,

I've never even heard of this until now so, I'll keep my eyes peeled because it's always fun watching celebrities try new things, and just watching anything about magic is a breath of fresh air due to the fact it's not that popular on TV, aside from Blaine and Angel.

And the PussyCatDolls are always nice to watch as well, :).

-RA69

Sep 1, 2007
I've already done a quick sweep across the 'net to gauge the reactions. A lot of positive ones, yes. But I've also noticed that there are also those who are already going on the warpath despite (or perhaps because of) their ignorance. Most of them have a subtext of wanting to see celebrities crash and burn, or utter horror at the prospect that lay people are going to watch this.

I can't imagine what it must be like to be a magician who's terrified of his own spectators.

The other negative responses are from magicians who want another contest like Phenomenon (totally ignoring the fact that it sucked), and want average Joe magicians to be in a contest. This usually carries a subtext of them wanting to be the contestants themselves.

Yea i saw and heard about this awhile back when i was on ellusionist reading some stuff.
I kind of dont like it, it just seems like its going to make magic somewhat of a joke. Celebrity shows on vh1 usually mean hasbeens and i dont know. I probably sound like a mean jerk but for some reason i just have a BAD feeling about this show
However i wish them al the best of luck and hope that i am wrong.

Sep 1, 2007
Minnesota
I am somewhat excited about this, not so much because of the personalities involved, but rather to see exactly how it goes.
The one thing that is bugging me is the fact that so many magicians are slamming this already. I mean, we all ask people to suspend their skepticism every day, but so many of us are immediate naysayers? Are we so protective of our art that we cannot stand to see someone else perform it?

Sep 1, 2007
it just seems like its going to make magic somewhat of a joke.

The producer is a magician himself, and The Magic Castle in on this. Michael Gingrass, the general manager, is trying to bring Hollywood back to the Castle itself.

The judges include Jeff McBride and Max Maven, respected authorities on magic and mentalism as an art.

Celebrity shows on vh1 usually mean hasbeens and i dont know.

It seems they've tried very hard to get contemporary celebrities who are actually interested. From what I hear, Kim Wyatt loves magic and got really into it when she started practicing for the show.

Let's not drown in our own cynicism here.

Are we so protective of our art that we cannot stand to see someone else perform it?

It would seem the answer is yes.

Dec 20, 2007
Joplin, Mo., USA
I already said as much over on the E forums, but I'm stoked about the show. It will help to mainstream magic, and bring new interest from people to watch it. It's also going to drive me to work at my art more. If Kim Wyatt does a faro shuffle better than me, I'm gonna be demoralized. :)

Also, I think it will be a good exposure for custom cards. At the risk of bringing up a tired debate, I have bumped into the occasional audience member who quizzes me on my Ghosts or Guardians, asking if they are trick cards (I love that question, because I let them inspect the deck and they come away with more appreciation for my art). I imagine that the show will be filled with Ghosts and Shadow Masters, so people will be even more tolerant of custom cards.

Best part: I have assurances that New York will not be making Flavor Flav appear in a water bottle.

Sep 1, 2007
What Brad said (you can read it over at Ellusionist) about the celebrities putting in extra time when they weren't being coached to learn stuff made me feel good about it being on TV. Some people are worried about magic being exposed or magic "dying" because it's on TV, but it seems like the celebrities on it already have a strong respect for the art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results