Votes: 11 91.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
All right. This is in effort to help new cardists with learning a sort of 'beginners set' of moves.

I know Reddit has a sort of beginners set already. But I want to go a little beyond that by going into explanations as to WHY that cut should be learned. I am also NOT looking at the Reddit thread for beginner cardists as I don't want to step in Eliot Slevin's toes.

That said, I know we all suggest it to beginners, but WHY should the Charlier Cut be learned by a beginner?

May 24, 2015
I think the Charlier Cut must be learned first for a variety of reasons.

FIRST
It's such a simple flourish and can be performed in both hands. Get the Rolling Charlier Cut down and the beginner can have a simple flourish under their belt that can establish confidence moving forward. While I personally can do the Charlier Cut in both hands, I'm still trying to master my Rolling Charlier.

SECOND
For the beginner it's a great cut to learn, especially if they have never picked up a pack of cards. It's excellent for exercising the hands and it helps improve dexterity. Plus it helps train the beginner to separate the deck of cards into multiple packets using only one hand.

THIRD
The Charlier Cut is the foundation of so many other one-handed and two-handed cuts. For example it would be next to impossible to learn the Revolution Cut if the beginner does not know how to execute the Charlier Cut first.

Duncan F.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
Cruising around the Media section of dananddave.com and I just learned a different way to do the Charlier Cut which I prefer so much better than how I learned it from Genesis. Doing the Charlier Cut the Dan and Dave way also makes the Revolution Cut so much smoother for me as well.

http://dananddave.com/learn/media/charlier-pass/
Hm interesting. I do mine a little different. I move my thumb back before I pick up the packet. I only need move it back about a third the length of the deck. I also start from mechanics grip instead of straddle.

I'm curious to how it's taught on Genesis. Here's me thinking most people do it the same way.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results