Chinese Mat & Egg

Oct 19, 2015
As a kid in the early 1960’s I lived in a small mountain town in Colorado. I developed an interest in learning and performing magic tricks. It was not easy in those days to find and purchase tricks, but I was lucky in that my Grandparents lived in the ‘big’ city of Denver. I would spend a few weeks during the summers with them and had access to a couple of Magic Stores. I would save my money I earned picking up pop bottles and shoveling snow in the winter so that I could buy new tricks during the summers.

During that time one of my best tricks was a magic ‘Chinese Mat and Egg’! The Mat was very similar to the mat sushi maker’s use today to make sushi, with one big exception. “The weave of the mat was very tight so you could not see through the mat.” I would guess the mat was 15” to 18” square. The egg was wooden, which I would now substitute with a real ‘egg bag’ type egg. The mat was not gimmicked, just a simple mat, tightly woven. The simplicity of this trick was what I like about it.

I am looking all over for this trick. I have tried to find a ‘mat’ that I could use to make this trick, but they all are woven loosely where the audience can see through the mat, which will not work.

Do you know about this trick? Does anyone know who sells the trick?

Oct 19, 2015
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results