Chop Cup

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
A few months back I got an amazing looking chalice style chop cup. Unfortunately, I haven't used it at all because the magnet is WAY too strong. I have to SLAM the cup onto the table to dislodge the ball, and sometimes that isn't even enough. Does anyone know of a way I could weaken the magnet?

James555

Elite Member
Sep 10, 2011
Australia
If the magnet is removable I think you may be able to weaken the magnet's electromagnetic field by scattering the electrons it contains.
Try dropping it or even cutting it.
Hope that helps.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Interesting...I've never had a magnet "too" strong...only the opposite. The coolest chop cups I've seen are the normal looking wooden ones or ones that are paper cups that look ordinary.

Jun 1, 2009
I would suggest getting Craig Petty's "Chop". You can do stuff with that that you can only dream of doing with an ordinary chop cup.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
If the magnet is removable I think you may be able to weaken the magnet's electromagnetic field by scattering the electrons it contains.
Try dropping it or even cutting it.
Hope that helps.

Like James said, if you can remove the magnet without causing damage to the cup itself, you can weaken the magnet. Or you could bring that issue up if they have a customer support function and see if you can receive a new set. I love the Chop Cup. I have it sitting on a shelf in my house "looking interesting or mysterious", so when visitors come over they ask "what is that?" and then I proceed with a short routine. I save it for that specific time, and it's great. Since I'm mainly a card guy, it seems impromptu. Good luck with your situation!

-Casey

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I actually have Craig Petty's chop and honestly, I don't really like it. I mean, I like the concept, but I don't like the lemon load and I guess I just never figured out a way to do it without the lemon so I just stopped doing it. I think I'd prefer a traditional chop cup.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
That's real cool, Casey. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I would even begin to try to get this magnet out. I'll mess with it and see what I can figure out.

Jun 1, 2009
I actually have Craig Petty's chop and honestly, I don't really like it. I mean, I like the concept, but I don't like the lemon load and I guess I just never figured out a way to do it without the lemon so I just stopped doing it. I think I'd prefer a traditional chop cup.

You can find your own final load, or make your own routine with it. But each to his own then.

CaseyRudd

Director of Operations
Team member
Jun 5, 2009
Charleston, SC
www.instagram.com
That's real cool, Casey. Unfortunately, I have no idea how I would even begin to try to get this magnet out. I'll mess with it and see what I can figure out.

Maybe contact the company and ask for a replacement set and explain the situation, and see if they are willing to do that. Sounds like a tough situation man. Hope I've helped out somehow. Haha

Jan 12, 2010
I actually heard of the same (never witnessed it myself though). It's a very difficult situation and I really doubt you would succeed getting the same cup yet weaker (by the way, is exposure on the 'Chop Cup' allowed here?). But if instead of slamming the cup down, you can shake it firmly in the motion of placing it down and that still doesn't work, the magnet is definitely too strong and you should get a replacement or refund.

And since I have seen some, I know there are ways to incorporate "slamming the cup down" into a 'Chop Cup' routine and patter, but that might not suit you, as it wouldn't suit me.

Something you might want to consider is, if you keep having problems with actual 'Chop Cups', to use an ordinary cup in combination with a PK ring, especially because it allows for all normal 'Chop Cup' moves and routines, and more. Just an idea. :)

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time

You don't HAVE to do the lemon load and I really wouldn't suggest doing it in a strolling situation unless you want lemon juice all over the inside of your jacket or pants. I do know that you can get a free download from the World magic Shop that has like an extra hour of information and routines to do with the gimmick.

Jan 24, 2010
what comes to mind on this is increase the space between the load and bottom of the cup, use wood foam plastic, or something like steel - some sort of spacer wood, foam, plastic or non ferrous metal – steel, or try non ferrous metal - some sort of spacer wood, foam, plastic - non ferrous metal; when I say non ferrous metal I mean something not attracted to a magnet, maybe layers of aluminum foil.

Jan 12, 2010
what comes to mind on this is increase the space between the load and bottom of the cup, use wood foam plastic, or something like steel - some sort of spacer wood, foam, plastic or non ferrous metal – steel, or try non ferrous metal - some sort of spacer wood, foam, plastic - non ferrous metal; when I say non ferrous metal I mean something not attracted to a magnet, maybe layers of aluminum foil.
I always thought the beauty of a 'Chop Cup' is that it looks like an ordinary cup from both the outside and the inside. Filling it up from the inside to create an extra space (and thereby indeed "weakening" the strength) means that it should look exactly like what it looks like without the filling because else the beauty is gone.

bentley

Elite Member
Nov 23, 2007
Just do a chop cup with out the lemon. I mean it's easy. I have it and I like the lemon load but if you don't just don't do it and do a normal chop cup with it.

Jamie D. Grant

theory11 columnist
Oct 12, 2008
Vancouver
www.cardsinabottle.com
Hiya Gang!

Actually, this is an easy fix. Just take a pin, or needle, and push it into the ball. All you need to do is move the magnet into the center a bit more- it's just gone to one side, making it too strong. Once you give it a slight push, you'll see a difference.

You can watch me do a chop cup over here, if you like:

http://magicfriday.blogspot.com/2008/11/dennis-loomis-routine-for-james.html

Fun!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results