Classic palm makes me face palm

I'm sure this has been asked, but I would like to know for my hands specifically. Where is the proper placement supposed to be to palm a coin? Which Muscles are you supposed to use? I think I'm doing it correctly, but I'm not 100% sure. I just bought David Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy 3 DVD set, and also own BoBo's Modern Coin Magic Book, and even own the Modern Coin Magic 4 DVD set to accompany the book! I think I have found the "sweet spot" when palming, but am also able to "palm" the coin in other positions as well. I just want to know the proper position for classic palming a coin.

I tend to palm more towards the wrist, I'm not sure if this is a problem or not, but it just seems the most comfortable, but the main problems from that point, is that it is a lot less smoother to slide my middle and ring finger under my hand, because I have to slide it father, and also in order to make it stick I have to apply a good bit of pressure. I also can not get the coin to just palm by itself while lying in my hand and contracting the thumb together, like I have seen David Roth, and other coin magicians perform. Here are a few pictures of me attempting to classic palm a coin. Also, as you may be able to tell from the pictures, each time I palm a coin, it isn't always in the same spot every time. Any helpful advice/feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

IMG_0328.jpgIMG_0327.jpgIMG_0315.jpg

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
the classic palm needs time to be natural
Michael Vincent on his dvds stress the point that you don't need this palm to do coin magic , only finger palm and thumb palm

Aug 17, 2010
Don't be in a hurry to master this one - it does take time. And danielmontagne is right - there's a lot of solid magic you can do without the classic palm.

Soon you'll be able to use less pressure on it, and that will help it look more natural. With practice, it'll get better, and you will be able to palm it without pushing it into place.

As for the differing placement, that's not too big a deal - it will help when you want to classic palm multiple coins staggered, to drop them one by one.

I was just about to give up on learning the classic palm before I got it.

Nov 27, 2009
In order to really evaluate your classic palm I'd need to see both sides of your hand while you were palming the coin. This is actually the first sleight I picked up in magic, but don't let that deceive you into thinking it's easy. Right now you are doing what I call the "starfish palm" because your hand kinda looks like a star. This is fine for now, but you eventually want your fingers to curl naturally and your thumb to rest by you hand. From what I can see the coin is in the right spot though.

Just for laughs, and for a perfect example of the "starfish palm" look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tpt0407to
Just because it's from Expert Village doesn't mean that it's done by experts, as you will see here. Do us all a favor and don't follow this guy's example.

In order to really evaluate your classic palm I'd need to see both sides of your hand while you were palming the coin. This is actually the first sleight I picked up in magic, but don't let that deceive you into thinking it's easy. Right now you are doing what I call the "starfish palm" because your hand kinda looks like a star. This is fine for now, but you eventually want your fingers to curl naturally and your thumb to rest by you hand. From what I can see the coin is in the right spot though.

Just for laughs, and for a perfect example of the "starfish palm" look at this video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7tpt0407to
Just because it's from Expert Village doesn't mean that it's done by experts, as you will see here. Do us all a favor and don't follow this guy's example.

hahaha wow...that is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. My favorite part...besides the dudes suit and hair, is when he says "Hold it in a natural state" and the camera zooms in on the guys hands, and it is the most unnatural thing I have ever seen in my life. That thing sticks out a mile away! Also, I've seen other expertvillage videos, not on magic before this one, and they are all crap! Take this classic for example :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWVr88TiE-A&NR=1

Also, thanks to everyone for their advice, and I will try and get you a picture of the back of my hand later today while palming the coin. Also, it may not help for classic palming, but I went to my local magic shop, and he said anybody interested in coin magic should start out using sponge balls, because they utilize a lot of the same palms and techniques. I purchased SPONGE Starring Jay Noblezada, and it is one of the best instructional videos I have ever watched. I'm working on my sponge palms/routines when I'm at home now, and practicing my palming with a coin when I'm out and about during the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results