Clever Comebacks

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
Well looking at this thread i don't think these are really comebacks. But it was really funny once I was doing blueprint and I started smelling the cards acting like I could tell which one is there's by sent. So as I smell card by card the guy who chose the card says, "This will be easy to find my card cause I just went to the bathroom, all ya gotta do is find the one that smalls like my SH**!" I started laughing so hard I could barley finish the trick. HAHA

I cried when I read that.
Too funny.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I totally agree with your first statement. Why all of a sudden turn a nice, complimenting joke into a serious, don't ask me questions-awkward moment for them? If I was a spectator and asked if you can make 20$ bills appear and you answered "Well, technically I can but I wouldn't in the right mind use my powers for evil. Magic is an art and doesn't work this way, let me recite my latest essay on theoretical physics too while I'm at it." This topic is a little bit overblown, I mean "comebacks" as somepeople call them (which they aren't, they're just regular responses) should make them feel good and get a chuckle, not make anyone feel awkard.

In my own instances, I usually respond with things like this.

"How'd you do that!" "I thought I did it very well thank you! (And a comforting laugh to go along with it, so its not offensive in any way.)

"Can you tell me how it's done?" (this response is different than what I explained above, this is more for people who're in their late 40's or 50's or sometimes younger who picked up a magic kit when they were younger and think they have the right to know how it's done as well.) I respond: Can you keep a secret? So can I! Obviously this line is very over-used but works beautifully.

With the, "you're like that Criss Angel!" I respond: "I hope not! I hate mascera!"

"I'm bringing you to Vegas the next time I go! (I'm 15 and get this A LOT for some reason.) "Vegas? Sorry, I don't think I'm allowed back in their anytime soon!"

Hope some of these help. Responses as such don't have to be awkard, they usually come naturally with experience.

Just my two cents!

I've never used cliche lines like this... for me, what works is I just wing it... I usually improvise a line and who knows? Some of them may be golden lines that I'll hold on to!

Jul 2, 2008
I agree with you, but sometimes lines such as the Criss Angel one IS what first comes to mind. I generally stay away from cheesy lines, I'm just recommending becuase not eveyrbody is the type of person who can respond in a casual manner but entertain as well in a matter of seconds.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results