CoinOne by Homer Liwag

Mar 30, 2008
DC
I buy magic once..maybe twice a year. However, when I do buy it I buy a lot. Since I just bought a fair amount of tricks, I will be putting up a fair amount of reviews. I put up my Tarantula review, here is my CoinOne review. More reviews will be coming later.

CoinOne by Homer Liwag
Effect: A VERY visual coins across routine. If you have not seen it, here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BERxggyz0z8

This review is coming from the AMATEUR coin magician standpoint. I know solely the basic coin sleights such as a palm, French drop, false transfers, finger palms, etc…no wait actually that’s probably it I didn’t know any other coin sleights except the palm, French drop, and one other false transfer of which the name I do not know.

I’m more of a mentalist Derren Brown kinda magician.

To say the least, I was very impressed by how visual this was when I first saw it on Youtube. I began to really like coin magic when seeing this some months ago, and I finally bought it.

I got this with my Tarantula on Thursday (check the review for that if you want ), and in my opinion this is impressive.

If you don’t do any coin magic, I would highly recommend doing this and Digital Dissolve. If you can mix in these two pure coin magic tricks, you could easily become a more well rounded magician.
Effect:

There are a couple parts to how this is done.

There is a sleight of hand involved which I had never even thought of..it really blew me away. However, this is definitely because I have done magic for 4 years and never ventured into coins. I thought this sleight would be difficult but it is taught extremely well and with a little practice I got it quickly.

If you’ve ever gone into coin magic a little, I’m sure you will be able to get this sleight of hand and its reciprocal in less than 20 minutes of practicing. If any of this is exposure feel free to tell a moderator.

Also you need to be aware of timing your sleights properly in this effect. Many times throughout the routine you execute a sleight in each hand simultaneously, and the sleights will be different.

You need to know how to misdirect to one hand and time the sleights so that they occur at the same time as your misdirection (this is specifically one part of the routine). This might be difficult to get down 100% for the beginner coin magician.

There is also a gimmick involved. Sorry. This does not come with the DVD. If you are a serious coin magician, you will have it for sure. If you do not have the gimmick, buy one as it is essential to this trick. However if you DON’T want to buy it a gimmick-less version is taught-although it is less visual. The gimmick is easy to use, very easy to hide, and easy to ditch if you want at the end of the routine.

However, I have a lot of practice with misdirection so maybe you might think the ditch is harder. Honestly, it is not too difficult.

One problem with the effect is angles. People should be close to you and not too far away. Also, you don’t want people who are sitting down looking up at you. It doesn’t matter though, because the angles are specifically gone over and you learn exactly where you want your spectators to be.

Quick Review:

Effect requires a sleight and gimmick:

Sleight is easy to do and get down and is very visual.

Gimmick is easy to ditch, easy to use, makes the effect visual, and you probably have it.

Everything is taught crystal clear in this video. In my opinion, this is one of the best taught magic DVD’s out there.

Pros:

Visual, easy to do after practice, hits hard at many points in the routine. You can do it immediately after if you want so essentially that is an instant reset (though I recommend you do not do it twice in a row to the same person).

Cons:

Angles can be a problem and it does require some knowledge of TIMING your sleights.

Also…………………………………

Initially, you might get some questions that question your personality. When you walk up to someone with half dollars, it will be weird. Why? People do not see half dollars on a daily basis. They will think the coins are gimmicked.

Sure you can pass the coins around manipulating the gimmick to not be seen, but this takes away from your performance time. Although this establishes credibility it also makes the spectators question your personality. Honestly, it is a little strange to carry around half dollars. You might get a question like, “Why do you carry those around?”

It can be the same as when people ask you, “Do you carry your cards around wherever you go?” implying that you are a loser. Because most people don’t carry a deck of cards wherever they go:(.

If anything, I reply with a “I just found them on the ground five minutes ago. I was going to ask you if they were yours, but obviously not. And since I do magic, I might as well try to show you something , no?”.

lol I just make some stuff up. Whatever gets the job done.

Just be prepared for that.

Overall I give this a 7/10 because it hits hard but it has its problems. Keep in mind though, I grade tricks harshly. I mean, no trick is perfect, but this is pretty damn close in my book. Buy it. It is a nice thing to have in your repertoire.

I am looking forward to getting CoinTwo later this year.

I love this effect, but what I love more is Homer's attention to elegance. This DVD and CoinTwo and also his site, are so magnificently made and designed. The menus on the DVDs are soo sexy, the way he filmed it, is excellent. If you get one DVD this year, get one of them.

JDEN

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results