Coins for coin magic

Nov 4, 2017
Kashima Japan
Hello all!

So I live in Japan and I find that Japanese yen is kinda hard to work with. Espically as a beginner. I was thinking about ordering some uncirculated coin proofs from amazon as it’s cheaper for me. For a set from 1993 its only about 4 dollars plus shipping. Otherwise I would have to travel to Tokyo or Narita airport, at about the same cost, and hope that they can sell me US coins. Any advice.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Are they too small or too big? I'm assuming they are too small.

You can always go with the Grifters as Tyler Mentioned, or get custom Challenge coins made.

You could also use poker chips, bottle caps, or buy some larger value currency. You could maybe get some large coins (like U.S. Half Dollars) from ebay and come up with a cool patter.

If it's the same price, you might as well buy the proof. You might want to try the airport first, though it'll probably be a hassle.

Also, would it be really weird to have, say, Australian Coins in Japan? I feel like you could justify them better(though idk how big they are), as the distance between Australia and Japan is close enough that people probably visit regularly.

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
I think 50 cent pieces are great for most effects and adult hands. I have started using full size dollars and am finding that they are much easier to work with. Don't go any smaller than a quarter.

Reactions: Bobbydigital
A bit off topic, but I have visited Japan a few times and love it there. The Japanese style of magic is extraordinary and I hope you get many chances to attend their shows, conventions, and other events. I've been to magic stores and bars in Osaka and Tokyo. I hope that you get to indulge in all of that culture! If you do get a chance, check out some magic shops that may be near you. They might sell some coins and coin accessories.

Reactions: Bobbydigital
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results