Coins. what and where to get them?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Looking for same sized and different colored coins. Where can I get them?

Also what books/DVDs are good for a beginner in coin magic. I like DVDs more than books. With cards I got the RRTCM book and DVD. The way I use the book/DVD is that I learn through the DVD, but if I need to look something up quick I use the book as it's just way faster than putting in the DVD and flip through menus.

Aug 17, 2010
The Magician' s Coin lists coins commonly used for magic by size and composition, so you can check there to see what options you have. Your best bet is a coin shop - there's a ton of them in the world, and one is likely near you. And it's best to handle the coins to see what fits your hands best.

As for coin magic, the paperback of Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, at ten or 12 bucks, is about the best value in coin magic. Much of it is dated, but there's still some gems in it. It's not an easy read, but you'll learn a lot of the basics, and some routines to work on. There's a DVD set on Bobo's MCM, which I've heard is quite good.

David Roth's Expert Coin Magic book, or Expert Coin Magic - Made Easy DVDs are outstanding. Solid coin work from a master. He has a couple of Stars of Magic DVDs as well.

Eric Jones' Metal has received rave reviews - don't have it, so I can't tell you one way or the other how it is for a beginner. I own a couple of Mr. Jones' DVDs, and can tell you that he's got more chops than a Jackie Chan film, he knows his stuff, and is a great teacher.

Sep 30, 2009
Elkhart, IN
Eric Jones' Metal has received rave reviews - don't have it, so I can't tell you one way or the other how it is for a beginner. I own a couple of Mr. Jones' DVDs, and can tell you that he's got more chops than a Jackie Chan film, he knows his stuff, and is a great teacher.

I would have to agree with the statment about Eric being a great teacher. I have Metal and have learned a lot from it already.

Dec 26, 2010
Metal

I am also just beginning to learn about coin magic. I purchased Metal by Eric Jones about a month ago and it has been great. The teaching is clear and very straight forward. It is a great tool for developing a strong foundation. It also includes some routines which enable you to practice the moves you are learning. I am very pleased with the DVD and know it has got me started on the right path towards being competent with coin magic. I hope this helps.

Aug 2, 2008
Cincinnati
I would definitely agree with Metal. It is awesome. I am a sorta beginner with coins and this has really helped. Coins require an immense amount of practice to get it looking decent and tons of practice to get it looking good. It's a fun ride and Eric Jones is definitely a great teacher when it goes to his DVDs.

Jan 23, 2011
I would say before you get any DVD's go pick up Bobo's Modern Coin Magic and study it. This book is needed by every coin magician and is reffered to as the bible of coin magic. Then I would say move onto something like Metal by Eric jones for it is a great coin DVD.
GarlingMagic

Jan 21, 2011
Start with Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, if you can afford it as part of the sale goes to the Bobo estate unlike the Dover print get New modern Coin Magic. I would then pick up the 4 DVD set also titled Modern Coin Magic. You can get this through Penguin magic and they also list all of the things that you will see on the DVD. It is about 99.7% of the book in DVD format. These are what I would consider the basis of all coin magic, the bible if you will.

From here there are many options I would probably start with Roth though as he is considered by most to be the best coin man in the world. He has also developed allot of sleights that you will see in other peoples work over and over again. To study Roth I would pick up Expert Coin Magic and the 3 DVD set Expert Coin Magic made easy. both have unique things in them and together form a strong grounding in Roth's magic. You can go from there and pick up Ultimate Coin magic volumes 1-4 Which mainly expand on the Expert Coin Magic DVDs by adding tons of stuff with Gaffed coins.

I would also look at The 3 volume DVD set by Michael Rubinstein called Encyclopedia of Coin sleights. Though some of this is covered in the previous DVDs it is nice to have one that is menued out so nicely and he adds much to the knowledge base.

From here I would go to the New York Coin Seminar DVDs as they will expose you to many of the effects that are being used, the methods behind those effects, and the people that make coin magic what it is today. Seeing so many different takes on single effects also gets your imagination pumping.

This to me is the groundwork for Coin workers from there the sky is the limit but you will find that most of what you see, past that point, will be the same over and over again. I do have to say though there are so true innovators out there ad you may wish to checkout their work as well. Eric is one and Jason Borne is the other. I know their are more but these are the two that popped into my mind currently.

Red

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results