Compression by Dan White and Doug McKenzie

Jan 24, 2008
This is definitely something i would like to learn. But every site I go to says, "This product is temporarily out of stock."

Nov 1, 2008
@cdwonderist - you got yours weeks ago? Last i heard from Tannens they were reshooting a lot of the footage and was still not released. Who did you order from?

D

Deleted member 2755

I have no clue what cdwonderist is talking about, but I can tell you that the DVD is not out yet.

-Doug

Nov 1, 2008
Thats what I thought - I'm guessing there are a few tricks by that name or similar - who knows.

Sep 11, 2007
That's a bunch of BS. This DVD hasn't been released yet. I ordered mine a few months ago from Astonishment Project and recently finally got a refund. The retailers are given the runaround about when the distributor will be shipping. Jason Messina told me this personally. So, sho knows...

The... Inflated... Effing... Deck.

Am I missing something? Is there something new about Compression that I'm not getting? It's one of the most elementary applications for the Inflated Deck there is. What else is the upcoming DVD offering that hasn't already been published or used by countless other magicians in the past? Maybe I'll give the effect some more thought and appreciate its hype once someone can shed some light for me. As far as I can tell, this really isn't anything worth exaggerated speculation.

RS.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
The... Inflated... Effing... Deck.

Am I missing something? Is there something new about Compression that I'm not getting? It's one of the most elementary applications for the Inflated Deck there is. What else is the upcoming DVD offering that hasn't already been published or used by countless other magicians in the past? Maybe I'll give the effect some more thought and appreciate its hype once someone can shed some light for me. As far as I can tell, this really isn't anything worth exaggerated speculation.

RS.

It seems like more of a visual one tho. Kind of like how Panic is basically the same effect from The paper Engine, only this time the deck visually starts to vanish.

?

To me, it looks like the Inflated Deck. Period. Absolutely nothing more. I'm doing it in my hands and watching the Blaine clip on YouTube. As far as I can tell, they look exactly the same. Exactly. Is it just me or are people's eyes out of whack? I don't know why this issue irks me the way it does-- I think I'm frustrated because I'm not seeing what everyone else apparently is. It's an age-old concept used in one of its most fundamental ways. I don't see anything revolutionarily original which would warrant its own DVD at all. As I've said in other threads, this has been published numerous times in the past and applied in much better, more visual plots. And people are talking about this? I just don't know why...

RS.

May 3, 2008
?

To me, it looks like the Inflated Deck. Period. Absolutely nothing more. I'm doing it in my hands and watching the Blaine clip on YouTube. As far as I can tell, they look exactly the same. Exactly. Is it just me or are people's eyes out of whack? I don't know why this issue irks me the way it does-- I think I'm frustrated because I'm not seeing what everyone else apparently is. It's an age-old concept used in one of its most fundamental ways. I don't see anything revolutionarily original which would warrant its own DVD at all. As I've said in other threads, this has been published numerous times in the past and applied in much better, more visual plots. And people are talking about this? I just don't know why...

RS.

What are some sources to learning it?

Jan 26, 2008
Sweden
The compression dvd will not be released, dont know why. I just know it wont be relased.

Anyway, since you said that you have seen other magicians apply the principle in more vissual and better ways. Can you please point me to some other sources? I would really like to learn this.

I actually answered this question a few times in other threads. If you do a search of the forums, I'm sure you'll find something of value. To answer your question directly, I've used the Inflated Deck for a few different plots. I used it for a visual Ambitious Card phase, where the outjogged selection melts through the deck-- very similar to RIOT or Fallen. I've used it for Paul Harris' Double Decker, where two decks of cards are crammed into the same card case. I used it to make all the cards of the same color vanish into the spectator's hands. Its versatility is only limited by what you want to do with it.

I recommend David Harkey's work. His book Simply Harkey has some awesome effects using the Inflated Deck. It was this book that made me really explore the move. It's filled with offbeat, creative magic. The Inflated Deck is published in numerous other sources and taught on various DVDs. I already listed the sources in other threads. Do some research and I'm sure you'll find some hot leads.

RS.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results