Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bryant_Tsu

Elite Member
Counterfeit (aka Counterfeit Hollingworth) by Wayne Houchin
Or
Ref4m by Blake Vogt

I was planning to get one of the above. Both have similar performance styles. However I feel that Counterfeit has a part that exposes the method too freely (I figured half of it out and I have only been in magic for 3 months). Ref4m is also very visual but the ending is a bummer and some people say it does have some angle issues. I assume that both are practical for at least 1 on 1 performing. What should I get?

Apr 26, 2013
Italy
I'd go for Counterfeit. I don't fancy Ref4m, for the simple fact that, in my opinion, tearing a card, then restoring it and then tearing it up again not only makes little sense but it kills magic too. On the other hand, with Counterfeit you end up with a restored card that you can give away as a souvenir and which looks beautiful.

As far as performing is concerned, I had the chance of seeing 'Counterfeit Hollingworth' performed live during W:H's lecture in Turin (Italy), and I must say it's a completely workable effect, easy to pull off even in front of a big audience (parlor setting). On that live occasion, I had already bought the Limited Ed. dvd and knew how the trick worked, so I focused on watching how Wayne handled the "part that exposes the method too freely". Well, in that very moment, Wayne's construction was so strong that No-One except me was looking even close to him (precisely, in that moment, everybody except me - and I mean Everybody - was checking their pockets!). The dirty bit flies off completely because, by the time it happens, so much impossible stuff has happened that even the most skeptical ones have surrendered to magic.

Ah, did I mention that the live performance of Counterfeit Hollingworth was delivered with one magician standing right next to (read "shoulder to shoulder") Wayne? I guess this should clarify how practical this effect can be.

I've been using Counterfeit Hollingworth for quite a while with playing cards, business cards, bus tickets etc. Reactions are huge, the effect makes perfect sense, as it restores the card but adds a bit of flare to it.

Finally, seeing what T11 did with the new French Kiss download, I guess plenty new tips and extras will be added in this new version.

Setup is a bit long, I have to say, but it's well worth it.

Feb 23, 2015
As far as performing is concerned, I had the chance of seeing 'Counterfeit Hollingworth' performed live during W:H's lecture in Turin (Italy), and I must say it's a completely workable effect, easy to pull off even in front of a big audience (parlor setting). On that live occasion, I had already bought the Limited Ed. dvd and knew how the trick worked, so I focused on watching how Wayne handled the "part that exposes the method too freely". Well, in that very moment, Wayne's construction was so strong that No-One except me was looking even close to him (precisely, in that moment, everybody except me - and I mean Everybody - was checking their pockets!). The dirty bit flies off completely because, by the time it happens, so much impossible stuff has happened that even the most skeptical ones have surrendered to magic.

NAT

Dec 5, 2014
Counterfeit is a fantastic effect, While in ref4m, at no point is the card restored from the first rip. Without saying too much Counterfeit is better and I wouldn't purchase ref4m.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results