CREATE IT! Self-Made Flourishing/ XCM Contest

Nov 11, 2008
Hey Everyone!

I hope everyone's having a great year! One of my newer fetishes with cards this year is branching off more from magic and more into XCM. Now, I'm no beginner at flourishing either, but recently I've just been getting bored of the same oldie-but-goodie flourishes that I stand by. Sybil's great, but it seems as if everyone's creating new Sybils, and claiming them for their own. But, unfortunately, another common occurrence this year has been me short on cash. This didn't bother me much anyway, since I never really liked the idea of "buying" flourishes. So I broke out my deck and started messing around with it.
The first thing I learned is that my brain could only allow me to create false cuts (which could be good or bad in some respects), but also clued me in on how many different things you can do with cards that no one has tried yet! So I logged on to YouTube, and it seems as if others have figured this out as well, and have (in some cases) created some astonishing multi packet cuts! And hey, if they can do it, SO CAN YOU!
So here's my challenge: I want YOU to create the most dazzling, original breath-taking eye candy out there and show the big dogs we have cajonas too! The only catch is that your submission MUST BE ORIGINAL! That being said, any skill level is accepted, from beginner to intermediate to freakish. I want to see what YOU have to say, and to do that we need variety. It’s time to unveil that deep dark secret weapon, or maybe just start from scratch on a new cut. Again, any cut or flourish is accepted, be it a unique add on to another move or a completely new concept (although I will pay more attention to those). No tutorials are necessary; just send me your creation.

Take a well edited (so I can appreciate it at its best) video of your original flourish and send your creations to my personal e-mail account at: moneyhun2@hotmail.com, and title it CREATE IT, so I know to open it first thing. In the message, tell me a little bit about the flourish, about yourself and also give me your e-mail address so I can contact you. It’s best if the file’s a QuickTime, but a link to YouTube will be fine if you can’t fit the file on your message.
I will choose 5-7 of the most eye-pleasing flourishes by Monday, 23rd, and announce the winners in a separate forum, but I will also e-mail them personally. The winners will create full and detailed tutorials on their creation so the masses can learn these new concepts and be enriched by them.

This is a call to all aspiring artists (and the aspired ones) to get off there arses and get out of your comfort zone! Don’t be left in the dust. I look foreword to looking over your submissions personally and will report back as soon as I can.

-Jesse M.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 10, 2008
Nice!! I really like this and have been thinking of starting to create my own cuts too. Good job man, you've inspired me to try some new stuff. Expect an entry from me ;)

Nov 11, 2008
Thats great! Just email me and I would love to see your unique creation. No matter what, I'm almost more phsyked than you guys are to see all this talent put to a good cause.

May 10, 2008
Well I'm going to try and create something new. Give me a few days and I'll give you a video of it.

Nov 11, 2008
Well I'm going to try and create something new. Give me a few days and I'll give you a video of it.

Some people have been having trouble sending me stuff. If thats true, I think the best option is to post a link in the forum or in a message.

Jan 27, 2008
I don't get it, really... Im going to repost what fletcher said at decknique, why would we send video's to an email adress when we could just release them in a public video? If your new to cardistry (it's not called xcm it's called cardistry, make sure you get that right) than there is an extensive thread on decknique on how to get started and all that... good that your takin up the art, but I don't like the idea sorry.

btw the winners will "have to create" tutorials for our moves if I win, is that supposed to be the prize?
-sean

Nov 11, 2008
Sean,
I'm sorry if it came off this way, but no, I am not new to flourishing as I have been doing it for 4 and a half years now and magic going on 9. The only thing thats new to me here is posting on any of the forums. And I don't know what your remark about cardistry has to do with this post, but I stay away from forums because I usually get responses like this. Does anyone actually realize that there are people at the other end of the line? If you don't like my idea, don't go with it. All I'm trying to do here is get the creative juices flowing, NOT to get people to reveal their prized possessions against their will.
Hey, I'm sorry if this message comes off as a bit strong, but I feel as if people are taking this the wrong way. The point is NOT to reveal peoples veiled creations. The point of this is to produce a few more concepts that we can throw around to enhance your own flourishes or make a completely new one, and to get people inspired out there to create their own stuff. That way people can stop copying other peoples styles and create a style all their own.

Again, sorry if I offended anyone in this post, but I really wanted to be thoughtful and careful in my response to your comment.

-Jesse M.

Jan 27, 2008
You didn't offend me, I never said that I just said I don't like the idea, sorry... I see your a nice person sort of but why do you have to be so soft, I just said I didn't like it, if I knew you in person I'd say the same thing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results