Creativity

Dec 1, 2010
I have a "problem" with my creativity. I used sit down about once every 2 weeks with deck of cards for about 1 hour and create a really neat trick,change, switch or whatever. On other days I messed around with cards and created something here and there. Recently, I have been buying a lot of magic and say Dan White said it really slows down your creativity. Well, now whenever I sit with a deck of cards and can't come up with anything, and all I do is spring the deck or spread cards. I would be great if any of you could help me with this.

Thanks!

Feb 6, 2010
I have a "problem" with my creativity. I used sit down about once every 2 weeks with deck of cards for about 1 hour and create a really neat trick,change, switch or whatever. On other days I messed around with cards and created something here and there. Recently, I have been buying a lot of magic and say Dan White said it really slows down your creativity. Well, now whenever I sit with a deck of cards and can't come up with anything, and all I do is spring the deck or spread cards. I would be great if any of you could help me with this.

Thanks!

hello,

this is a very interesting topic. I've been into card magic for about two years now and what I've done so far with original tricks (about 4 or 5) is to apply concepts. You mentioned that you used to sit down for about an hour and create something. You must remember that creativity doesn't involve just doing something in a routine, it isn't like a pizza: you call, ask for it, and in 15 or 20 minutes it arrives. In my opinion creativity happens when you start from scratch, just forget any idea you have in mind that involves something already done. Then determine what you want to achieve, leave the deck and put on some relaxing music and simply think.

In the other hand, I think that creativity can come just by revelation, but remember that a revelation is a rough idea, when this happens just test the idea and keep on fixing it until you make it yours.

Well, thats all I have to say, good luck!

-Jaime

Dec 1, 2010
hello,

this is a very interesting topic. I've been into card magic for about two years now and what I've done so far with original tricks (about 4 or 5) is to apply concepts. You mentioned that you used to sit down for about an hour and create something. You must remember that creativity doesn't involve just doing something in a routine, it isn't like a pizza: you call, ask for it, and in 15 or 20 minutes it arrives. In my opinion creativity happens when you start from scratch, just forget any idea you have in mind that involves something already done. Then determine what you want to achieve, leave the deck and put on some relaxing music and simply think.

In the other hand, I think that creativity can come just by revelation, but remember that a revelation is a rough idea, when this happens just test the idea and keep on fixing it until you make it yours.

Well, thats all I have to say, good luck!

-Jaime
That was quite good advice. Thanks!

Mar 15, 2011
When I try to come up with a trick I think of a story or a character, then I think of how I can tell that story or create that character and then and only then do I try to think about the moves, the sleights, the limitations

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Start with the end and work your way back. Figure out what you want an effect to look like and work your way from the end result to the beginning.

Sometimes combining moves and sleights you already know into a trick that doesn't make any sense can eventually work into something that is worth using.

Try adding an extra prop, anything around you will do, and see what you can come up with. Grab a deck of cards and a handful of paperclips, a drinking glass, or a shoe. See what happens.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results