Creators of Tricks in The Royal Road To Card Magic

Jun 26, 2016
Hello!

I am wondering where could I figure out the creator of tricks in the royal road to card magic? The reason is because there is one trick (which I won't mention to avoid exposure) that is really a great trick for the laymen and also a magician fooler. I really want to know the history behind that trick and who created it in order to learn more and be able to perform it better.

Thank you!

- Alex -

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
This is probably going to be a tough thread seeing that some tricks have multiple names/creators. It's like asking who was the first person to invent the pizza, probably a lot of people in history have come up with the idea of putting cheese and tomato on a piece of dough rolled into a circle. What I'm driving at is that take The Piano Trick for example .. It was named by a man named Imro Fox , doesn't mean it was his original thought. It's good that you have the thought process of dissecting a trick so as to even know it down to it's originator. Moreover, I don't think this is possible due to the dissemination of information through out the ages(Stuff gets lost in translation). Let's face it humans aren't the most careful and accurate of mammals. To this day we still have problems getting information to a fro. I personally would love to know all the creators of the effects in The Royal Road to Card Magic. I hope this helps and I hope someone could answer your question more accurately than I did. :)

Reactions: Josh Burch

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
There is a tendency to look at card magic in classic books and assume that it just came to be or that it is very old. In reality much of what we think about in card magic was written down in the last hundred years. Some moves go back further (the pass for example) but many plots that we look at were created by Vernon or a contemporary of his. Even if they did not create the move or trick if they helped to popularize it there is some credit to be given to that person.

From what I understand the authors of the book were compulsive collectors of card tricks. They didn't always credit very well at all.

Does the trick you are talking about involve 2 shuffles by the spectator after the card has been selected and returned to the deck?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.
Aug 16, 2011
You can always tell us the name of the trick or the page it can be found on in the book...I mean, we all own it lol That's not exposure at all, neither is describing the trick :) I was actually about to go down the Royal Road again with R. Paul Wilson :)

Reactions: Josh Burch

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There are a couple of threads on the Genii Forums and the Magic Cafe that include some crediting for effects in Royal Road. Hugard was notorious for not providing credits. You can also research certain effects using Denis Behr's website http://www.conjuringarchive.com. I'd be glad to provide history for any particular effect in the book, but I don't have the time to research every effect.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results