Cross Suits

Apr 22, 2008
Well guys, since i haven't posted any videos yet, i decided to film myself performing one of my favorite effects and one of the first effect i learned with a little variation but the same concept. Thanks to TheMagicArtist for the handling. and to Martin Gardner, Johnny Albenice, and Bert Feinson.

Hope you guys enjoy it.

Cross Suits Video

Better Quality: Cross Suits - Better Quality

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 22, 2008
Thanks dude, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I did not use a patter because my camera's sound is a little bit messed up.

Thanks.

Edit: There is music =]

Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, it took me ages to figure out how Loki did this. It's such a mind boggling effect.

You did okay, but some things that irritated me:

-Your camera man has ADHD.
-Your Deck Sucks.

Now for some real advice:

I know due to the nature of the effect you have to go pretty fast, but slow down a little bit. I couldn't even see what cards you had at the beginning of the effect when you first showed the cards.

You messed up big time at around :29. Why did you do the waterfall? It totally ruined the ENTIRE effect. You should have just snapped your fingers or something. The waterfall made it seem like you did a move (*cough*Cascade Control*cough*), even though you didn't do a move. This effect is great because you don't have to do ANYTHING to get the cards from the middle to the top. No sleights or anything. That's what makes it a magician fooler. The waterfall made the whole trick worthless and not unique, even though it is.

2/5 bro.

Apr 22, 2008
Yeah, it took me ages to figure out how Loki did this. It's such a mind boggling effect.

You did okay, but some things that irritated me:

-Your camera man has ADHD.
-Your Deck Sucks.

Now for some real advice:

I know due to the nature of the effect you have to go pretty fast, but slow down a little bit. I couldn't even see what cards you had at the beginning of the effect when you first showed the cards.

You messed up big time at around :29. Why did you do the waterfall? It totally ruined the ENTIRE effect. You should have just snapped your fingers or something. The waterfall made it seem like you did a move (*cough*Cascade Control*cough*), even though you didn't do a move. This effect is great because you don't have to do ANYTHING to get the cards from the middle to the top. No sleights or anything. That's what makes it a magician fooler. The waterfall made the whole trick worthless and not unique, even though it is.

2/5 bro.

Lol i read this in Decknique ... lol.
SantiagoVillanueva said:
Ya i know about the deck .... i was at my cousins house and I use that deck to practice (Arrco) and about the speed ... thats the point of the trick, thats how I learnt it.
BTW, you might be right about the waterfall. Even tho im not doing anything that gives a nice little touch (Thats my opinion)

Thanks

PS. Ill change camera man for next vid.

Dummyisdumb said:
No, It really kills it. Why make it seem like you do something when you don't?

SantiagoVillanueva said:
we have different styles ... and i like the way i perform it.. thanks tho.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I'd urge you to consider the reason behind his suggestion though...

Regarding the speed, clearly you need it, but not that much of it. If you can barely see the cards, you're not even doing magic anymore, and you lose interest immediately. I had to watch it twice to fully comprehend what happened, and by that time I had realised what was happening.

In terms of the cascade, it really comes down to the balance between you liking it and killing the effect. I'm sure your performance style isn't to try and kill every effect you do, that in my opinion is a poor excuse for wanting to hang onto that motion. It's certainly nice but I felt it looked kinda dodgy too, at least until I realised how the effect worked.

I understand that you like how you perform it, but I would agree with dummyisdumb in saying that it's better to discard. I would however place less emphasis on the fact that it is a magician fooler or that the trick is beautiful in that it requires no sleights - these arguments, while certainly true, seem to me to be directed towards an appreciation of the magic that you do. It's certainly true, and appreciation is important, but there are other ways to show it, namely, improving a performance of any given effect.

I think it is better to discard it simply because it is a suspicious looking move, not specifically for magicians but in my opinion laymen too, since catching that cascade was a little messy.

As dummyisdumb said, Why make it seem like you do something when you don't?

There's no reason to hold back on the effect by offering a suspicious move, and I don't mean any offense whatsoever, but in my opinion it is best to let go of what you like in favour of what makes the effect more magical (an idea for many, many magicians). It might work for you emotionally but I don't feel it works for the effect and could potentially spoil a performance for others as well.

Peace

Apr 22, 2008
Well guys thanks for your opinions ... and I'll consider all your tips ...
But i think i got a point why would you try to fake a cascade control when you are not doing anything? but why would you snap your fingers if you are not doing anything either?

I think it depends in the style.

Thanks everyone.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Snapping your fingers does not look suspicious, and may add to the effect.

Faking a card control is suspicious, and invariably takes away from it.

Trying to make card tricks worse is not a performance style.

Peace

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
The Waterfall does not look like a move to laymen... only to magicians. Guys, magic is performed mainly for laymen, not for magicians! Stop thinking like magicians!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
When did I say you were laymen? I didn't. I said that this is going to be performed for laymen, and most won't even think about it being a move, so in all actuality, he has nothing to worry about. We're here to entertain laymen, not fool other magicians.

Apr 22, 2008
When did I say you were laymen? I didn't. I said that this is going to be performed for laymen, and most won't even think about it being a move, so in all actuality, he has nothing to worry about. We're here to entertain laymen, not fool other magicians.

Thats what i was going to say .... a layman doesn't know what a cascade control is ... they might not even know what a pinky break is. So when you watch a performance you have to watch it from the layman's point of view, not the magician's point of view.

Aug 31, 2007
So wait, SVillanueva posted this video for laymen to watch it, magicians can't comment on this.

You heard adjones SVillanueva, take this video off!

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that if he was to perform this for real people, they would not think of it as a move. That's how magic is supposed to be performed- not in front of a camera, but for REAL people. Jeez, your username perfectly describes you.

Aug 31, 2007
No, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying that if he was to perform this for real people, they would not think of it as a move. That's how magic is supposed to be performed- not in front of a camera, but for REAL people. Jeez, your username perfectly describes you.

How do you know?

Oh wait, you're a layman!

Apr 22, 2008
Dummy we understand your point ... and thats your opinion we respect that ... but you have to understand that when you watch a video you have to view it from a layman point of view ...... what adjones is saying is that laymen don't know if that is a sleight or whatever they just see it as a simple move.

Hope you can understand.

Thanks

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
How do you know?

Oh wait, you're a layman!

Like I said, your username accurately describes you. Let me put into some analogies for you- if you did a Double Lift, magicians would notice it right away. However, your audience will not if you do it correctly. To magicians, yes, it looks like a move. To laymen, it doesn't. That's just the way it works.

Aug 31, 2007
Yeah, alright, you're right! Laymen don't know when there's a move. I'm thinking like I'm a magician.

But still, I don't know what you're trying to suggest, that the trick is better with a cascade control? The whole point of this trick is the cards ACTUALLY and cleanly go into the deck, with no cover or anything the cards come to the top of the deck. I mean the specs can push the cards in.

I don't see the logic behind WHY would you want to do some crazy springing action when you can simply snap your fingers.

I mean if the cards are in the middle of the deck, then you do some crazy spring thing and the cards are the top, then some people will figure out that the spring thing brought the card to the top. But, when you just snap or wave your hand then that's where the unexplainable magic happens.

I'm just saying it's better to be safe and not to do some unnecessary move that's suspicious, Biatch.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results