Cull or Pass

Dec 22, 2007
Hi guys, I need to control a card to the bottom, when I'm doing Triumph, what do you think would be better, a cull or a pass?

Sep 19, 2008
Hi guys, I need to control a card to the bottom, when I'm doing Triumph, what do you think would be better, a cull or a pass?

A cull sounds like it would be better at least as far as cleanness and presentation opportunities go.

_Lucas_

Dec 22, 2007
yea, i was just worried that somone might think its wierd that the card kinda just moves behind the spread for no reason.

I'm a pass freak ;) so I'd use a pass. But if you're better at a cull, use that.
yea, i was just worried that somone might think its wierd that the card kinda just moves behind the spread for no reason.
A spectator shouldn't see a card moving under the spread, it's a combination of getting it smooth and leatning how to get eye contact with spectators the second you execute a sleight. Being able to pull off a sleight is only 1/3 of the battle, you can't rely on the sleight for the trick to flow smoothly.

Nothing wrong with the over-hand shffle control either! :D

Which triumph are you doing?

You should use misdirection for every sleight, or at least try to. Aaron Fisher explains this in the double lift 1 on 1.

All you want your spectator to see is you closing the spread, but you're not, you're sliding their card out of it to the bottom. No matter how good your cull or pass or double lift is, it's not invisible.

Anyway.......I assume you want to use a cull so you can spread the cards and have it replaced where it was selected from and close the spred which looks good with sloppy shuffle.

Sep 2, 2007
London
It depends on "the moment" as Erdnase would say. Basically, it depends on what you find more comfortable in the particular instance that you need to do the move. If the spectator is looking right at your hands when then card needs to be controlled, then a cull is more covered. Hovever, if you can control their gaze then I'd go for a pass. Neither a cull nor a pass is "better", they each have their own purpose.

It depends on "the moment" as Erdnase would say. Basically, it depends on what you find more comfortable in the particular instance that you need to do the move. If the spectator is looking right at your hands when then card needs to be controlled, then a cull is more covered. Hovever, if you can control their gaze then I'd go for a pass. Neither a cull nor a pass is "better", they each have their own purpose.

Spot on mate.

Sep 1, 2007
England
I would go for a variation on the cull by Marlo/Jennings known as the convincing control/immediate bottom placement.

I give two names because it is Jennings' move, but it's credited to Marlo in most places.

Tom

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
The advice offered early on in the thread suggests that a cull is cleaner in appearance to a pass. This is untrue. A cull well executed may be cleaner than a pass done badly, but to compare the two in such a base form is bad business. My pass is far cleaner than my cull.

I can't watch the video right now as I'm working, but my response will be based on what i have read thus far...

You will control the card to bottom then slop shuffle, yes? i would personally go for a double undercut. Why? because not only does this control the card t owhere you need it, but it also shows the condition of the deck BEFORE the apparent mixing procedure- all cards face the same way. This is a strong visual subtlety.

Hope this helps...

CL

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results