DAN HAUSS :: TICKTOIDS review

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
DANS BASEMENT:: DIY MAGIC :: TICKTOIDS ($9.95)
http://www.papercranemagic.com/dansbasement.htm

THE HYPE:: This is an ultra visual transposition done in the spectators hands. The spectator holds the Tic Tacs while you have the Altoids. In a shake the tin of Altoids transforms into the box of Tic Tacs. The spectator then opens their hand revealing that they are holding the Altoids.

THE METHOD/TEACHING:: First Dan shows what the effect looks like in performance and then explains how the effect is accomplished. Starting off he explains what is needed to create the illusion of the Tic Tacs switching with the Altoids. Yet again the method is ingeniously easy, it took me maybe half an hour to an hour to get the moves down smooth enough. Dan gives you plenty of options to work with and subleties to get the best of the effect. He shows the angles to work with, for most of the effect you should only perform for no more than 4 to 6 people at a time and doesnt really work for being surrounded because they would be able to see the " magic". Other than that you should be fine.
METHOD ( 5 OUT OF 5 )
TEACHING ( 5 OUT OF 5 )

THE LOWDOWN:: Well I love the simplicity in this effect, it's so direct and visual that the spectators dont know what hit them. Luckily I got a chance to perform this for a couple of buddies of mine and they couldnt figure it out and now my phone is full of texts askin me how I did that "Tic Tac Trick". That is the impact of this effect, if people ask questions then your job is done. I will add this to my repetoir because its something I can carry around in my pocket and takes but a second or two to set up.
( 5 out of 5 )

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Yes it does, but not what you think, when you collect your supplies for this effect its picked up right along with the others, and like I said setup doesnt take long, jus a few seconds on an offbeat.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
This looks pretty nice. I like the idea of an Altoids TicTac transpo because I usually have some in my pockets.

Sep 7, 2008
The only thing is, this is supposed to look like an impromptu effect. When you pull out your silver dollars, people know you're prepared to perform magic. TICKOIDS is supposed to be with objects carried in a normal person's pocket.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
The only thing is, this is supposed to look like an impromptu effect. When you pull out your silver dollars, people know you're prepared to perform magic. TICKOIDS is supposed to be with objects carried in a normal person's pocket.
Well look at it this way JPMagic, magicians aren't supposed to be "normal" to a layperson. Yah not everyone carries Tic Tacs an Altoids at the same time, but we as performers work around such normalities an use it when the oppurtunity arises. This effect isnt going to appeal to everyone...me..on the other hand..im not normal...I'll carry a balloon,silverware,or watever is comfortable an play it off as a joke.

Jan 25, 2009
Hey guys,

Sweet review, thanks for posting it up. Which Dan had shown a version of the "in the spectators hands" in the promotional vid. Sounds like it'd be pretty killer in that format.

Big question is can you hand out the packets straight after performing, I'm guessing you cant from watching the handling but who knows with Dan and his crazy methods. If you can perform that and then instantly give out both packets then I recon I'll pick this up.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Hey guys, Sweet review, thanks for posting it up. Which Dan had shown a version of the "in the spectators hands" in the promotional vid. Sounds like it'd be pretty killer in that format. Big question is can you hand out the packets straight after performing, I'm guessing you cant from watching the handling but who knows with Dan and his crazy methods. If you can perform that and then instantly give out both packets then I recon I'll pick this up.
Hey yappa, to answer the first question Dan Hauss is shown in the promo video, an unfortunatly there is no performance demo, it was a bummer but this particular effect happens in the spectators hand. Secondly BOTH the tick tacs an altoids are COMPLETELY examiable after the effect...plus dan mentions a way or two to perform it...and thanks for the feedback, its much appreciated :)

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
How much (if any) can be borrowed?
Well azofspades, I suppose you could borrow both items from a spectator or two. You will need some adequate misdirection to "set up"...but as we all are magicians we find a way. So yes I believe they can be borrowed and setup with a proper presentation, an thanks for the feedback :)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results