Dangerous - Mystique DVD Download

I broke a promise I made to myself. I once said “I will never spend a penny on D+M material” and I just did. Why? Well when reading the reviews on the Mystique DVD I felt that maybe there really was something there, that I would not let my personal opinions on the performer keep me away from potentially good stuff. So I downloaded the Mystique and here are my honest and unbiased :p opinions.

The video production is top-notch. Most of the tricks are performed in front of obviously overreacting audience and the editing manages to hide basically all the secret actions that need to be performed:(

My favourite effect “angle zero” was exactly what I figured out the second I saw the performance for the first time. However it is a great effect and I can see it get huge reactions from lay people. Bear in mind that the version Daniel teaches is different from the performance. The most important part, the selection process, is different. Of course if you know your card magic you will know what DM did in the performance. But I feel it is unfair to exclude such an essential part of the trick and replace it with an inferior method.

Through out this DVD Daniel relies on the use of Gamblers Cop. Now, every wise person will tell you that Gamblers Cop is a move designed/meant to be used at the table. Only then is the concealment of the card complete. In stand up, walk around situation it can be used momentarily e.g. to load a card to the pocket. Daniel uses this sleight as means of holding out cards way too long.
Now, the misdirection might be good but you are still left with hidden card protruding halfway from your hand for way too long!! Daniel is probably experienced and bold enough to do this but to me this is card magic without finesse and very off-putting.

Another favorite of mine is sandwich effect “Half Vanish”. It is also obvious in method to any magician but it looks cool. However, the construction of the trick requires palming in worst possible moment. Daniel argues about misdirection working in the favor of this trick, but he is just plain wrong about it. This might be the reason why the trick is not done for the live audience (?).

There is a interesting and clever, but a bit unnatural handling of the shapeshifter change. This one is visual but it does not improve the original in any way. Pick up, and holding position of the card is very strange but the change looks good anyways.

Apart from the above mentioned tricks, little has made an impression on me. Daniel performs his magic with personality of a stone and there is that moody arrogant aura around him that is supposed to make him mysterious….
The pricing of the DVD is reasonable but there really is very little to learn for a student of card magic. Both the magic and psychology used here lack finesse and I am left cold. There is so much better magic waiting for you out there….

I find angle zero a trick with no patter posible. HOw are you supposed to jsutify the fact that u tore a card and it appered sumwhere random?

My presentational idea for angle zero is to use some flashpaper (maybe make a gimmick and tear the flashpaper from the card. Use a candle or lighter flame to make the "torn piece" vanish an reapear maybe in the lighter or under the candle.

I feel that DM presentation of this trick was very good though...

Jul 27, 2008
www.youtube.com
this dvd first of all is great. second of all i started using the gamblers cop after this video and ive never seen people so convinced that my hand was empty. it works great u just have to practice it and not be afraid to use it.

Oct 6, 2007
Mystiqe review

I will rate the trick on a 1-10 scale and explain a bit why.

1. bad influence. 8-10 This trick is great. You have to love a trick where it really get the spec. involved. in this case they feel out the 3 named cards. The sleights arent hard and I think its a effecient trick

2. aces. 7-10 The handling isnt difficult at all and the effects of the 4 ace production with the deck vanish is just really cool

3. angle zero. 10-10 This is easily the best trick on the DVD incredibly easy with little setup and no cleanup. huge reactions. awesome trick.

4. catch. 6-10 This trick is ok it looks good but is also difficult the score is lower because of the lack of teaching of this one.

5. color. 9-10 If you like the shapeshifter and wavechnage this is definately a trick to add, i Think it looks cleaner and is more visual than SS becuase it looks like you are just flicking the card very visual

6. Half vanish 7-10 This trick is a quick simple sandwich routine. I must say that D+m does palm the cards off at the worst possible time, that is why the lower score however I easisly got around this wiuth a variation overall a pretty nice trick. its kind of like deja vu, but not as good.

7.heritige 6-10. Cool trick but a lot of difficult palming and handling probly wont be doing this one.

8.lapse. 9-10 Impromtu signed two card tranpo, kind of a deja vu feel risky palming involed

9. Focus. 5-10 This is kind of like the change d&d use on the queens trick, but holding the deck vertical. if u know the d&d version stick with that

10.role play. 8-10 once again spectator involved is always good. could use a signed card completely impromtu awesome trick.

11.breach. 8-10 breach looks incredible...when done by D+M it is definatey not somthing for beginners or even intermediates it requiers some really risky paming but looks outragous when done correctly.

Overall, the tricks are all pretty cool, but none really completely blew me away, I would say that the tricks are worth it for the most part, I reccomend this dvd but not for beginners the gamblers cop is a risky palm but the way D+M teaches / does it makes it nearly invisible at the right angles obviosuly all the tricks use good redirections for this most most of the time. I would reccomend this DVD

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results