Daniel Madison

Oct 13, 2008
" Underground magic is this; Everything that you think about magic....magic wands, top hats.....it's not that, it's the opposite of that. It's a lot cooler, it's a lot more intelligent, and it's a lot more respectful to the spectators than traditional magic is "

The words of D+M himself, explaining underground magic. It doesnt mean you're off the radar, it means it's not traditional magic with doves and sawing ladies in half.

" Underground magic is this; Everything that you think about magic....magic wands, top hats.....it's not that, it's the opposite of that. It's a lot cooler, it's a lot more intelligent, and it's a lot more respectful to the spectators than traditional magic is "

The words of D+M himself, explaining underground magic. It doesnt mean you're off the radar, it means it's not traditional magic with doves and sawing ladies in half.

I personally just think that's a foolish definition. It presumes that so-called traditional magic isn't "cool" anymore and that it insults the audience's intelligence. Lance Burton's award-winning dove act is just as enchanting and artistic today as it was for audiences 20 years ago. Michael Ammar's Cups and Balls routine is still one of the most engaging, contemporary pieces of magic that plays so well for layaudiences and magicians, alike. I would argue that these examples are more engaging and entertaining than the majority of "underground" garbage we see today. To say that underground magic is a matter of props and attitude is not only foolish but obviously very misleading.

I only offer this argument to attest that underground magic, as perceived by D+M and similar artists, doesn't exist-- or at least doesn't make any sense.

RS.

Oct 13, 2008
Of course, its different strokes for different folks. I was simply passing on his own definition of what he believes underground magic is.

I think David Blaine was the force that made the wands and top hats look dated, but i think there's a place for all aspects of conjouring, it's just whatever butters your muffin.

Earlier, you said that you couldnt see how someone could be underground if they're selling their products on the internet. Of course that cant be contested, you are dead right. The quote i provided was merely D+M's own interpretation of the label.

The street magic style of Madison/Blaine etc, might have made magic more accessible for people to take up as a hobby or maybe something more serious. You no longer need a beautiful assistant or some form of animal life to appear from somewhere impossible to be classed as a ' magician '. I dont think either genre should be slated, personally i enjoy Copperfield, The Amazing Jonathan, Derren Brown, Luke Jermay, Paul Daniels, the list really does go on.

Dec 14, 2007
Top hats have been outdated long before Blaine came on the scene.And while I suppose it's fun to take words that have historically established meanings and make up new ones (and by the definitions given, one can only assume this is done out of ignorance) I cannot see how this displays any respect for the art one claims to practice or those who came before on whose shoulders we now stand.

Magic's popularity as a hobby has ebbed and flowed over the years, and at no time has a lovely assistant been a requisit for joining.

I think it would be wise for people to actually learn the meaning of an industry term before they unillaterally decide to redefine it.

Apr 1, 2009
California
No, it's not outdated. If you keep in mind what David Blaine did, he updated the presentation. These amazing groundbreaking effects that he did, existed a good while before his Street Magic show aired.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results