david blaine: beyond magic

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
It's interesting to me, the dichotomy that has developed in my head. I prefer 'deeper' magic. I like magic that feels real, like it's genuinely bending the laws of my reality. Most of the stuff I see out there is just stunts that do nothing for me. Card tricks are almost always a turn off for me, despite having been a card magician for two years.

Despite my preference for deep stuff, I still really enjoy a few shows and performers that do the adventure of the props. My favorite magic show is Ricky Jay's Ricky Jay and his 52 Assistants. I've seen it over a hundred times, I'm sure. Most of that show, though, he is just doing tricks. His History Lesson, of course, is a trip through the history of the cups and balls, but even then it's mostly dictating where the balls are. I find Blaine to be hit-or-miss, really. Sometimes I like him, sometimes he bores me. I haven't really found a consistent thinking that resolves this split in my head.

Regarding P&T's Fool Us - I don't like it. Like David said, I feel it just perpetuates the idea that a magician's job is simply to fool people. It sets up a "You can't catch me" kind of attitude in the audience and that's not what I want. Most of the performers I've seen on there have left me cold, or in the least, left me wondering why they are doing whatever they are doing. The biggest example for me in Shin's Dream Act. None of it makes sense the way it's presented. It's just a magician doing things because he can do them. Does nothing for me, personally.

My personal goal when performing is bringing people into my reality for a little while. Getting them interested in what I have to say, and hopefully letting them forget that I'm on that stage to deceive them. One of my most memorable comments regarding my show came from a friend of mine, who is a staunch skeptic. He said to me, "I remember realizing I was accepting this a lot more than I thought I would." I felt that meant that I had done a really good job of getting the audience on board with what I was doing and saying.

I don't know what Blaine does when the cameras aren't showing it. He's obviously doing something to get these people to engage in what he's doing, or at least to react vociferously in that manner. There are times when I have used similarly minimalist scripting, usually in situations like the post above where people wouldn't have listened to my more verbose scripts. It works for those situations because, as Teller has discovered, if you just do something intriguing and don't give them words to fight against, they just watch. Once you've got your foot in the door, you can hook them in deeply.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Oh and sorry for the double post but I forgot to say one thing - I can genuinely hypnotize people and I have hypnotized a lot of people. It is a skill I have developed long enough that it is something I can do pretty much naturally at this point.

I still get excited every time. Like, giddy excited. I don't think just because something is a thing you can naturally do, means that you shouldn't get excited for it.

Blaine doesn't show a lot of excitement because that's his character. That's fine, that's his choice and it's obviously working for him. But I do think there are other options in performance.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Interesting that you cite both Fitzkee and Eugene Burger as I am sure I've heard Eugene Burger state he can't stand the Fitzkee trilogy.

Actually, the quote was Nelms not Fitzke. I tend to agree with Burger on Fitzkee and blame Fitzkee for making woman wearing sequined outfits and music seem to be necessities for stage magic because of his belief that magic isn't entertaining enough on its own. The quote is in Magic and Showmanship on page 5 in a section called The Magic of Meaning.

Plus Mr Burger presents 'tricks' as well. Outside of the seance-type stuff, not everything he does has deep meaning. Think about his 'Worlds Fastest Card Trick' or his Three Coin Vanish. He does 'adventure of the props' patter and it still works. Not everything has to have some real life context as this is entertainment, not a life lesson. I've seen him use a plastic toy robot to find a card. Are we suggesting there is some deep lesson behind that or is it just because it's fun?

Burger talks of a show having a "texture" to it. Not everything can be serious and meaning and not everything can be narration of the adventure of the props. Blaine, to me, seems to have the same presentation if he is doing an ACAAN or reguritating frogs. "Watch."

Sometimes you just need to do the trick and let people be amazed. I know you're a fellow Bannon fan, and his magic is full of that kind of thing as he takes the attitude that card tricks don't have to be sugar coated with other nonsense and that they are inherently interesting if you do them well.

Bannon proudly admits that his effects are narrating the adventures of the cards Destination Zero. However, some of his effects do have a fun presentation -- I'm thining Cups and Fuzzballs from Impossibilia. I love Bannon's thinking, when he uses complexity and when he uses simplicity. However, I don't perform Bannon's material in shows (more on this later), instead choosing material that can have a greater level of meaning.

Although most of Bannon's stuff is, I'm not sure if all magic is inherently interesting. I love the joke, "The magician asked if I like card tricks. I said no. He then showed me three." For David Blaine, I didn't like the borrowed ring on coat hanger stuck down throat. I'm much rather see Wayne Houchin's needle swallowing routine (which is a thing of beauty). I didn't like the demonstation of the voluntary ability to regurgitate frogs. That isn't a "sandwich" I'd ever ask for and him asking the spectator to think of a small animal that could live in his hands didn't make it Nelms's "sandwich." Eating a wine glass for Arnold Schwartzeneger, meh. Doing Slydini's Flight of the Paper Balls with money and then tossing the spectator's iPhone off the side of bridge into the water just didn't make sense.

I'm not sure I've ever really bought the 'If you could do real magic would you being doing card tricks' argument. Point is, we can't do real magic, so the point is kind of moot really. Why kid ourselves that we're going to convince them otherwise just because we choose to make a sandwich appear rather than link two rings together?

Agreed, but my point is that David Blaine is trying to present himself as if he can do real magic (although much of the show is him attempting to show that much of what he does is a stunt - swallowing a hanger, reguritating frogs and catching a bullet. I think we can acknowlege that we can't do real magic but invite the audience to believe in spite of that.

Are we not insulting their intelligence slightly by expecting them to not think there is not a method behind it?

My goal is to have them be so entertained that they don't care if there is a method behind it.

Let's just swing it the other way for a moment for the sake of making another 'point'. You also mentioned that you don't like Blaine's performance because he doesn't 'get excited ' about the magic. Well let's consider this: if you could really do magic, would you get excited about it every time you did it or would it just become 'normal' to you?

No. The reason is that I'd be exctited to show someone else what I can do. I do a lot of speaking at seminars (five in the last two months) but I still get excited to be in front of a group and it shows in my presentation (remember the part in Ken Webber's Maximum Entertainment about the woman speaking about Securities and Exchange Rules who was so engaging -- yeah, that's me when I'm talking about taxes). I've seen folks like Dani DaOrtiz who the word "excited" doesn't even come close to his performance style, Wayne Houchin who gives off a tremendous sense of wanting to share joy with his audience and Jeff McBride who just gives off an amazing presence that seems mystical. They connect with me as their audience. Blaine leaves me feeling like he is incapable of connecting - everything from his disconnected patter to his lack of reacting to other people's reactions.

Just a few thoughts, you may disagree or not but I enjoy the conversation. I rather this than the 'Where can a buy/learn the XXXXX trick Blaine did...' threads!

I think that some of our different viewpoints come from how we perform. My peformances are parlor magic to groups from 20 to 200. I have to be the person entertaining them with the magic rather than letting the magic do the entertainment. Much of what I perform is classics -- cups and balls, sponge balls, linking rings, egg bag, etc. The presentation is textured -- some are funny, some are really funny, some are serious, some are emotional. When I perform for family and friends, I bust out the Bannon and Gustaferro stuff, the Paul Harris stuff. Again, it is a mix of some routines that have more presentation and some that are narrating the adventures of the props. I'm convinced that I'll never be able to come up with a meaningful presentation the for first series of effects in Six.Impossible.Things but I love my adaption of Gustaferro's Truth in Advertising.

Reactions: The Magic X

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
My personal goal when performing is bringing people into my reality for a little while. Getting them interested in what I have to say, and hopefully letting them forget that I'm on that stage to deceive them. One of my most memorable comments regarding my show came from a friend of mine, who is a staunch skeptic. He said to me, "I remember realizing I was accepting this a lot more than I thought I would." I felt that meant that I had done a really good job of getting the audience on board with what I was doing and saying.

It is interesting that I would say the same thing except our "realities" are much more different. Yours is a more realistic reality with a blend of bizare and mysticism. Mine is more like the Mad Hatter's Tea Party in Alice in Wonderland.

Reactions: The Magic X

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Just to address earlier comments about this not being as good as his previous special, I believe Blaine said in an interview (it was one of the US chat shows, Fallon, Kimmel or Ellen) that this special is meant to be more like a documentary as the main focus of the special was him catching a bullet in his teeth. To me, the celebrity magic was just filler.

However, it's interesting to find out what people thought of his performance. If we are strictly just talking about his performance, then it's something that's always going to be "to each his own" kinda thing. TV magician's tend to have their own style. For some reason, there seems to be a rule for street magician's to have a mystery to them (blaine, angel, dynamo).

I also found it interesting when RealityOne stated he'd watch David Copperfield and others (rightly so) but Copperfield spoke of David Blaine being "the real deal" too

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ill-has-quite-a-few-tricks-up-his-sleeve.html

Reactions: Justin.Morris

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
You are right. There is so much subjective taste to magic. If Blaine evokes a visceral response from some of the people he performs for (in real life - not through the TV necessarily). If he's not my style, it doesn't mean he's not doing a good job. Art is like that. Shin Lim's dream act was like 'modern dance' of magic. When I see modern dance I want to stab my eyes out, but I can very much appreciate that they are good at it - despite the fact that it is so abstract.
There are lots of good perspectives here that make me reflect on my own performance.

Reactions: Nurul

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
I agree. If anyone has David Blaine on Snapchat, you can tell the difference between TV Blaine and everyday Blaine.
He does have his moments when he's doing interviews. If anyone watched his recent interview with Yahoo, through Facebook Live, you could just see how awkward some moments were with the presenter. She'd ask him a question, he'd give a very short answer then there would be an awkward silent pose as the presenter was expecting more lol in David Blaine's defense, his answers had a certain wit to then and he wanted to get to performing his magic.

Nov 13, 2016
Normally when I perform close-up magic I'm a gentlemen with a quick wit. That's my character and usually works very well for me, Most of my effects are scripted and I've done the hundreds if not thousands of times. However last Friday I had to do a close-up up show for a bunch of 22 year old drunk hockey jocks. The worst possible audience ever... I dropped my fun personality and went full David Blaine. My first effect was walking into the centre of the room putting some light bulbs on the floor, stepping on them and eating them. That is what that situation called for and it worked VERY well. They went from heckling me before I started to having their full attention for the next hour. There is a certain power in the way David performs we only get to see it in his audience reactions. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not! But he is a genius. He ushered in a new era of magic. The difference in Blaines presentation is if you could actually do an ACAAN and had that power and attempt to do the closest to that effect as possible rather than question if he has real magical abilities why is he doing an ACAAN.
(About that glass eating...any tips?)(and yes I know im off the subject here.)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I believe there's also an explanation of it in the Geek Magicians Cookbook by Matthew Parrot (I could be way off on the spelling of his name, but it's upstairs and I'm lazy in the morning)

And yeah - it's terrible for your teeth.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
He does make a point.

I think it's an interesting process in the spectator's minds. The chance of seeing someone hurt is thrilling - but actually seeing someone hurt is horrifying. I think what people really want to see is someone beat the odds.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
A lot of it can be learned from Tarbell and Card College. The sideshow stuff should really only be learned in person with a qualified instructor.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
If you study sideshow stuff you'll know how he does almost all of those stunts. I do one or two them myself.

You can find the information if you put a little effort into the search. But yeah, I draw the line at learning anything that involves puncturing the skin on my own.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results