David Stone "Ghost" vs. Panic

Sep 25, 2007
I just got done watching David Stones "Real Secrets of Magic" Vol.1 and its really good. However, when I was watching it, he does a trick called "Ghost" in which a card is selected from a normal pack then replaced (in this case is was a 9). He tries to find the card and is wrong. Places the wrong card on the table. Snaps his fingers, the spectator turns over the card and its the 9. Then the magician puts that card back in the deck, squeezes and the whole deck vanishes leaving behind the 4 nines. This can be done with ANY deck, NO GIMMICKS, and can be ANY four of a kind. You can then pull the rest of the deck out of your pocket and continue. Plus the handling is much better than panic in my opinion, and your left completely clean. Anyone else see this? I'm definitely going to use this method from now on.

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
Seen it..
I dont really plan to use it much because of the angles..CON

dont tell bs when u havent used it urself, Ghost deck has no angle problems with strong enough misdirection which u do have btw.

The main visual difference between the two effect is that with panic u do see the spread of the cards, while ghost deck ends clean.

and as mitchell said, it has both pros and cons to each methode.
how ever i found a work around by performing a double deck vanish routine with starting panic then follow up with ghost deck, that way because of the first vanish and the ending of the second vanish, u simply convinced audience that u start clean and ends clean both times. which is a positive side-effect to the both strong effects.

Sep 25, 2007
dont tell bs when u havent used it urself, Ghost deck has no angle problems with strong enough misdirection which u do have btw.

The main visual difference between the two effect is that with panic u do see the spread of the cards, while ghost deck ends clean.

and as mitchell said, it has both pros and cons to each methode.
how ever i found a work around by performing a double deck vanish routine with starting panic then follow up with ghost deck, that way because of the first vanish and the ending of the second vanish, u simply convinced audience that u start clean and ends clean both times. which is a positive side-effect to the both strong effects.

I like your incorporation of both.

also, I will eventually right a full review of the dvd. But it doesn't just teach ghost or "no gimmick panic". So the review will cover much more than that. I made this thread simply because I thought it was cool that david found and taught a way to basically do panic without the gimmick. Ironically, the dvd came out long before t11 even launched, but I didn't see it until now. The dvd also has pros and cons in its teaching method. But ghost was pretty impressive and fairly impromptu, with the same reaction as panic with half the fat :)

Sep 1, 2007
Chile
I always do Ghost of David Stone.
Its awesome it gets very good reactions.
But panic is different, in both method they "see" the whole deck. But in panic you got a reazon to show that the deck is in your pocket. In ghost the deck just vanish... it depends on your rutine, if you want to do a card tricks next or a trick whit another objetc.
BTW both are AWESOME! im prety happy whit panic and Ghost rulz too.

Sep 1, 2007
One of the things I like about panic is that it can open a show for you. You hit them hard, and quick and you end with a regular deck that you can use for more effects. Do your stuff and finish with ghost. Two vanishing decks in one routine pretty much. But I second the idea that they are both very strong effects.

Sep 25, 2007
My only problem with panic is that the spread seems a bit weird. Just not natural for me to spread cards like that. Although if done right the gimmick can be a good convincer. I still like the idea of using ghost AND panic in a routine. Maybe tho, panic might eventually work its way out of my routine. I'm thinking there may be a way to spread the deck and still do ghost by Stone. Plus its one less gimmick to carry around on me... any thoughts?

Seen it..
I dont really plan to use it much because of the angles..CON

Remember, Someone gave you legs for a reason, if your angles are bad, MOVE, who said you had to stay in one stop, I perform this a bit and Ive yet to be caaght, I even fool my friend who has a Magic Eye. I like its, but as people have said its less visual. Panick Needs Gimmick, where as Ghost Needs Misdirection.

Cheers, Tom

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results