Dealing cards in street magic

Feb 22, 2017
Hello, i am yet a beginner and i have question about street magic. I've been doing tricks for people but i stumbled across tricks which involve dealing cards on the table. Is there any way i can do this without having table, like dealing on a spectator hand?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
It would depend on the trick I believe. As long as the number you are dealing to is small then counting on a spectators hand, or having them deal onto yours is feasible and even allows for a moment of connection between the two of you. Ideally, though you should save tricks that involve dealing to places where you have a table (or some other surface) and when you have the full undivided attention of your audience and most importantly the time to do it. If you're stopping people in the streets when they have places to go to have them deal cards or watch you deal, then you're setting yourself up for some poor reactions.

Hello, i am yet a beginner and i have question about street magic. I've been doing tricks for people but i stumbled across tricks which involve dealing cards on the table. Is there any way i can do this without having table, like dealing on a spectator hand?

Depends on the trick really.

Something likely Karl Fulves 'Gemini Twins' could be done in the spectator's hand (and I have seen it done this way), but you'd but hard pressed to make something like Daryl's 'Untouched' or Paul Curry's 'Out of this World' without a surface to deal on to.

I personally prefer to work with a table when I do cards tricks. A lot of magicians are of the attitude that tricks that can be done standing up, entirely in the hands are somehow 'better', but I don't agree. It's very rare for there to not be a surface available onto which you can deal cards. A bar stool, kitchen counter, even the floor in the right places is good enough.

The other option is simply to not do those tricks. Not everything is suitable for every scenario, that's just the way it is.

Rev

Reactions: DominusDolorum

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I really have nothing to add to what's already been said. You can use people's hands if the number of cards is small, or just don't do those tricks.

It is a good idea to work tricks that you can bring up to face level, so people see you more often. This helps them remember who you are, instead of just the tricks you do.

Reactions: DominusDolorum

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
It is a good idea to work tricks that you can bring up to face level, so people see you more often. This helps them remember who you are, instead of just the tricks you do.
This is great advice. Michael Ammar made that a point in his lecture that he brings the card to his face to look at it before revealing its face. It's a bit of added drama but it brings attention away from the deck and up to you. He learned that the hard way after his first TV appearance because no one got to see him, just the tricks he was doing.

By the way, what tricks did you have in mind xMagician?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results