Dealing with "inquisitive" spectator

Jan 23, 2023
So, you're doing a trick for a small handful of people (or even just 1 or 2), and an intermediate step in the trick calls for showing them a hand of fanned cards.

Problem is: They can see it *only* from the side facing them. The trick depends on them not seeing the cards facing you.

One spectator says "Wait. Lemme see *your* side."

What do you do?

Oct 10, 2022
Hey, ummm... here's a few ideas for you: 1. Misdirection maybe 2. Practice in a mirror 3. Come up with an exuse when they ask you, that makes sense

Aug 22, 2022
Personally, I would just shoot them with a harmless sleeping dart. It's an easy fix, and one that usually nobody notices.

Other ideas though are just pretending not to hear and moving on, and talking constantly so that nobody actually has time to ask you anything. Make them feel like their participation includes just watching. You could even distractedly say something like "just a second" then turning to everyone else be like "So as you can see I have some fanned cards, and now I'm going to..." and move on to step two. (or whatever.)

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Just ignore them and keep going. However the fact that asked the question suggests that there is some problem with the structure of the trick that occurred before the question. This may not be a trick suitable for this audience or you may be unnecessarily presenting it as a challenge to be figured out. While interaction with the spectators is good, there should not be opportunity for questions in the middle of an effect. So this could imply an issue with pacing. This comes up periodically and there are some good additional discussions that can be found by searching the forums.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
There are two issues here. The first is a matter of control and the second is a matter of challenge.

The matter of control is that you most likely are not acting as if you are in control. They way you should present magic is to demonstrate that you are in control. If you are nervous or of you telegraph when you are making a move or when you are "dirty" - the audience will notice. If you are confident and in control, spectators are less likely to interrupt or try to take control.

The matter of "challenge" was touched on by @DavidL11229. Chances are if you are performing "tricks", the spectators feel like they have a choice between being "tricked" or "fooled" (and nobody wants to be a fool) or figuring out the method. Now, spectators are often conditioned to do this... Fool Us, the Masked Magician, etc. reinforce this silly game. For younger magicians performing for their friends, this is even worse... magic is viewed by the performer as something that enhances their status while the spectators try and figure it out to knock them down a peg. The way out of this is to focus on having your spectators enjoy the mystery. Make your performances something special rather than "hey, you want to see a trick I just learned?"

Finally, as the other David pointed out, there could be issues with the structure of the effect if they have a reason (other than being an obnoxious prat) to think seeing the other side is important.

Reactions: DavidL11229
Oct 4, 2022
"One spectator says "Wait. Lemme see *your* side."

What do you do?"

In your best Mae West or Groucho Marx imitation, say "You show me yours and I'll show you mine", raise your eyebrows a few times with a suggestive smile and keep moving, ignoring their request.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results