Deans Set Vs. Normal Shell

Hey guys,

I am currently looking into getting a shell set from Jamie Schoolcraft and wanted an opinion.

Do you guys like the re-edging that is done on a deans set? It looks really great to me but I have heard some people dislike it.

Also, one thing I still cannot figure out, does a deans set come with some normal coins?

Thanks,
Sharp

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Hey guys,

I am currently looking into getting a shell set from Jamie Schoolcraft and wanted an opinion.

Do you guys like the re-edging that is done on a deans set? It looks really great to me but I have heard some people dislike it.

Also, one thing I still cannot figure out, does a deans set come with some normal coins?

Thanks,
Sharp

The Dean's Set comes with 4 shaved and re-edged coins + shell. I like the re-edging personally but I dislike that I cannot use the Dean's Set with other WL coins I might pick up elsewhere. If I want more I need to order additional re-edged coins to fit into the Dean's Set. You can also get the gravity flipper to match the Dean's set in addition to a few other coins from Jamie as well.

Any other questions just let me know.

--Jim

So I take it that other coins that fit into a Walking Lib expanded would not fit into these shells, correct? Such as chinese coins for color change or transpo routines.

Do you think its a better idea just to get an expanded set so there is more versatilaty (spelling, I know) and such seeing as jamie's other gaffs will also fit into an Expanded?

Thanks, Jim, lookng forward to Twin City man! haha

Sharp

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
So I take it that other coins that fit into a Walking Lib expanded would not fit into these shells, correct? Such as chinese coins for color change or transpo routines.

Do you think its a better idea just to get an expanded set so there is more versatilaty (spelling, I know) and such seeing as jamie's other gaffs will also fit into an Expanded?

Thanks, Jim, lookng forward to Twin City man! haha

Sharp

In hindsight I probably would have gotten the expanded in all honesty simply for the versatility just as you said to be able to work with different types of coins that are standard half dollar size. Instead now I need to buy shaved down coins to fit into the Dean's Set which very likely I will only be able to get from Jamie. I am not sure how much better the coin nests into the shell with the Dean's set than the standard set but it is probably pretty close or the same.

Likewise looking forward to Twin City....just not looking forward to that drive again =)

--Jim

Dec 2, 2007
I have Jamie's "Walking Liberty" Dean's set.

Before I bought these I was already accustom to using some "junk silver" walking liberties that I picked up from a local coin shop for non-gaffed coin routines.

When Jamie's set came in the mail, I knew they would going to be slightly smaller due to the re-edging; however when I first started using them the size difference made the coins feel VERY different in my hands. Don't get me wrong, these things are way bigger than quarters; however if you have ever tried practicing a coin trick using quarters you probably know the feeling of coins being too small for your hands and how awkward that feels. This was how the coins initially felt to me and I was a tiny bit disappointed. Also since I was very use to the look of walking liberties the re-edging was a visual turn off that I was sure every person I performed for would notice. (...of course this was just Magician's guilt, and nobody has ever noticed anything...)

My tiny bit of disappointment didn't stop me from ordering more Dean's set coins (copper/silver, flipper, etc.) to create more of a complete set. (...these coins are a work of art and I highly recommend Jamie's work...) I love the extra confidence that the re-edging gives compared to the worn edges of "soft" walking liberties.

Now that I have used them for a while the initial bit of awkwardness isn't as pronounced as it first was; however due to my performing environments (sometimes poorly lit and crowded bars) I am afraid that if I drop a coin and it rolls away that I may not be able to find it again, so I went back to Jamie's web site and started to rethink what would be the perfect set of coins for me.

Since I favor the normal size of half dollar coins rather than the shrunken size, I decided to go for an expanded shell. I like the extra "comfort" of fairly sharp edges and I wanted coins that could be easily replaced locally if I did end up losing one.

For my second purchase I went with the expanded shell 1964 Kennedy half shell. I'm lucky that I have a local coin shop that has a lot of "junk silver" Kennedy halves and the owner doesn't think I too insane when I show up to buy more and want to check to make sure that they fit my shell. Eventually I also picked up a flipper and a copper silver set.

The '64 Kennedy set has become my "working" set of coins. This limits me from doing effects which require "soft" coins, so I go back to the Dean's set to practice / perform those routines. Since I have a good source for '64 Kennedy's my "set" has several spare coins, just in case one gets away.

To answer your other question, the only coin that isn't shrunken in the Dean's set is the shell itself, but it has also been re-edged, so it has the same look and feel as the other coins.

Before you make your purchase I would consider the following:

* Do sharp edges matter to me? (...grab some old soft liberties and see if you drop them more...)
* Do "soft" coins matter to me? (...grab some Kennedy halves and see if their "talking" is a problem...)
* Is there a chance in my performing environment that I will lose a coin? (...or would it be awkward if I asked a whole table of slightly drunk people to move while I dig around under their table in some sort of mad easter egg hunt, so I can continue working for the rest of the night...) :D
* Does size matter? (...Okay size, does matter. :eek: Bigger is often better as it makes the trick more visual, can be see from a further distance and seems more impossible; however it you find yourself putting coins in your pockets every day before you leave the house, you may find it easier to carry halves than dollars...)

I'm sure others here on this forum can offer other good points to consider as well, but those were the questions that I asked myself before making my second purchase.

My next purchase will be Morgan's so I will have to weigh the options between the expanded shell set or the Dean's set.

Hope my long winded ramble helps you think through your purchase,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Wow, you love that Bold button don't you? haha just kidding man

Thanks, that was also a huge help. Your tips have convinced me to get an Expanded set as I love working with Soft Libs and the size and everything is perfect for me and for muscle passing and things.

Thanks,
Sharp

Dec 2, 2007
Thanks, that was also a huge help. Your tips have convinced me to get an Expanded set as I love working with Soft Libs and the size and everything is perfect for me and for muscle passing and things.

If you would like to compare the size difference, I put a photo up on my Flickr page here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21994129@N03/2125822992/

...it is VERY had to get a close-up photo with my camera that shows fine detail, but I think you can pretty clearly see that there is less space between the letters in "Liberty" and the edge of the coin. Also on a "normal" walking liberty there is sort of a lip around the face of the coin, which is different on the shrunken coins. I'm probably not describing this well, but this may help:

Imagine that you are looking at the back of a bicycle playing card which has a white border. Now imagine that you took a razor blade and cut out the center of the card, leaving just the white border and glued that on top of the border of another card. You would have the face of the card, a raised border (or lip as I am calling it) then the edge of the (double) card.

Okay, so with that in mind, when you look a normal walking liberty you see the face of the coin (with raised letters and either the eagle or Lady Liberty herself) this is surrounded by a raised border (or lip) near the edge of the coin, and then you can see the edge itself. On a normal liberty this border is flat; however on all of my Dean's set coins, this border is completely gone and instead of anything being raised, this part of the coin actually angles slightly downward to the edge. (...in the photo, the light is catching the part of the coin that I am trying to describe, on the right coin, near the top right...) I'm sure this is due to the re-edging process and can not be avoided. I am only mentioning it here to help describe what I view as some of the differences between "normal" vs. Dean's set.

Hope the photo isn't too blury,

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Sep 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's just personal preference. I would go with the regular because of the versatility... and well because of the money

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Wow, you love that Bold button don't you? haha just kidding man

Thanks,
Sharp

I would highly recommend a set of Lassen's soft Morgan Dollars in expanded over Jamie's WL's.
I have both a Morgan set from Lassen and Jamie and the difference is noticable. Jamie's shells are a little distorted from the expansion process, but Lassen's are not at all. They are perfect.

Dec 2, 2007
I would highly recommend a set of Lassen's soft Morgan Dollars in expanded over Jamie's WL's.
I have both a Morgan set from Lassen and Jamie and the difference is noticable. Jamie's shells are a little distorted from the expansion process, but Lassen's are not at all. They are perfect.

I have been wanting to buy a Morgan set and I have been debating about buying from Todd this time. If it isn't too much trouble, can you put a photo up somewhere (like on flickr) and post a link, showing the difference? (...or distortion?)

When performing with the Schoolcraft shell did anyone ever stop you and say, "Hey, wait a minute... Why does that one look different?" (I assume not, but never hurts to ask.) :)

Which is quieter when nesting / un-nesting?

Which covers more of the nested coin? (...again, if not too much trouble, can you post a link to a photo of both?)

Which shell is heavier? (Have access to a small digital food scale?) :)

How long have you owned each shell?

If purchased as a set, which shell would you say better fits the four normal coins?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but as the owner of both shells I'm sure your observations would be valuable to those considering which brand to go with.

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Niether Jamie's nor Todd's normal expanded shells have teflon coating in them.
By adding this in you also must remember that the shell will not cover as much of the coin as with out.

I'll get some photos up soon. Just have to take some good ones.
The biggest difference that you must remember tho is that the one from Todd is a soft set, the one from Jamie is a normal set.
So Todd's set is quieter,
When performing with them no one can tell the difference between the shell and the normal coins. But when you look at it your self you will see the distortion. It just shows attention to detail in the manufacturing process. Todd has spent more time and effort in making a perfect shell. Also the price difference between a soft set from both people is minimal, it's an extra $16-$20 a coin to make it soft from Jamie.

They nest about the same depth on the coins. Almost identical actually.

Todd's shell feels heavier, tho I don't have a Dig set of scales.

I've had jamie's longer. Todds only about a month or so, and Jamie's about 3.

Todd's fits better, however the shell isn't as soft as the other coins, no one will notice this tho. Jamie's all the coins are the same look exactly.
Jamie's has got stuck a few times when trying to un nest in the middle of a routine, which has caught me out a little in the middle of performance. Todd's has never even felt a little tight.

Dec 2, 2007
Thank you for the additional information! I know that each "set" from Todd and Jamie are probably all a little bit different, but I think you helped me make up my mind on who to go with for my expanded Morgan purchase. I have quite a few things from Jamie, so I believe it is time to take a look at Todd's work.

Since you ordered recently, how long did it take from the time you ordered (from Todd) until you received them?

-ThisOneGoesTo11

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
My order from Todd was a little out of the ordinary.
On top of the morgan set, I also got about 30 other custom coin gaffs made up in Australian coins. So my order took a little while.
I'm sure that with US coins, and with the ones on his site it's no where near as long.

Would you recomend Todd for Walking Libs? I know you said his Morgan's are great but because of price and coin size Walking Libs are perfect for me. Not to mention that I can get them locally for 5 bucks a piece...

I'm thinking about getting a Triple Threat Gaffus in Walking Liberty coins and requesting that Todd make them soft as to match the 4 I already have seeing as the Triple Threat includes an expanded shell.

Good idea?

Sharp
P.S. Thanks for all the help... ain't talk about expensive gaffs fun? :D

Sep 1, 2007
Would you recomend Todd for Walking Libs? I know you said his Morgan's are great but because of price and coin size Walking Libs are perfect for me. Not to mention that I can get them locally for 5 bucks a piece...

I'm thinking about getting a Triple Threat Gaffus in Walking Liberty coins and requesting that Todd make them soft as to match the 4 I already have seeing as the Triple Threat includes an expanded shell.

Good idea?

Sharp
P.S. Thanks for all the help... ain't talk about expensive gaffs fun? :D

I think it is a good idea, but you might also want to see your coins to him to see if the expanded shell fits over your coins well, as I think the coins might vary in size a little. Also definitely get Hooser's notes.

I think it is a good idea, but you might also want to see your coins to him to see if the expanded shell fits over your coins well, as I think the coins might vary in size a little. Also definitely get Hooser's notes.

Great idea, I had also thought about doing that.

Can you post the basic effect of some of the routines in Troy's notes? I have several ideas including a no sleeves Silver Dream and a Cylinder and Coins routine.

Sharp

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide, Australia
Great idea, I had also thought about doing that.

Can you post the basic effect of some of the routines in Troy's notes? I have several ideas including a no sleeves Silver Dream and a Cylinder and Coins routine.

Sharp

A triple threat is high on my list of things that I desire :)
I would of course get it in morgan to match my other gaffs tho.
I have seen them and used them and they are beautiful, a true work of art.

If walking libs are what you want to use then get them. I still think that the extra size of the morgans adds a lot.
For walking lib size coins I actually use some Australian currency, but we have nothing (there are some coins, but they are about $100 each, and not circulated) available in a similar size.
I do have a set of coins in walking lib, exp shell, and grav flipper.
But the morgans are just so much nicer to work with.
You should also be able to pick them up at a coin store for about $10-$15 each for extras.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results