Deck Switch

Jan 9, 2010
Hey,

Just as an introduction, im a card person and usually perform with only cards. One thing that i was wondering is how do you guys switch decks during a performance ( long performances with just cards).

I usually say there was this guy his name was blablabla his a famous magician but when he performed he would only use red/blue ( the opposite colour ) deck of what I'm using to have a reason to switch my deck.

What other methods do you guys use to switch decks?>>?>? or do you just do it infront of the spectators?

Jun 22, 2009
Do it on the offbeat while no one is really concerned about what you are doing.

You could place your deck in your pocket and then talk a little. Then just casually grab the other deck and keep the show rolling.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The deck switch is one of those moves that is so transperent if not done well. If I am going to use a deck switch I spend the most amount of time to make sure it is as seemless as possible everything from where my spectators are to justification for putting the deck away.

May 22, 2008
Have a pen or something in your right pocket, and the deck you want to switch in in your left. "Hang on let me just get a pen" both hands go into your pockets, act like you're checking for a pen in both and then bring both out at the same time, just focus on your right hand. Although I wouldn't try that in the middle of an effect, maybe between effects, so they aren't looking for a move. Like Kontents said, on an offbeat, and when there's no heat on the deck.

Also Jay Sankey sometimes has something visibly draped out of his left pocket like a rope or silk or something for the effect, so its justifies to go with the deck to your pocket, and all of the focus is on rope or whatever rather than the deck.

Oh, and you could always do the whole, put the deck away, do a trick without cards, take the deck out (doesn't even need to be the same pocket). But obviously that won't work if you're trying to switch during a trick...

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
The first idea about the pen is the one that everyone is taugh. In my opinion it is wrong, I mean why would you look for your pen in your pockets with a deck in hand. I know I would look in one pocket than swap which hand is holding the deck and look into the other.

Dec 18, 2009
Isn't this called cold decking? anyways I think there are numerous tutorials and performances on youtube to get you ideas...I'm not a big gimmick guy so I probably don't have the best answer.

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Why are you needing to switch decks?

Are you switching from shuffled to stacked?

Is it possible to use two decks in one performance without ruining whatever you have setup?

Is it possible to just carry the extra setup and add it to the deck on the fly?

Deck switching is situational, for poker deals that rely on a stack you could have it shuffled and then switch in the other deck, but maybe you have a regular deck and want to use your svengali (I mean, there are no trick decks) then after a few tricks the switches would be a little more complicated.

If I have a long performance I usually leave impromptu tricks for the middle/towards the end so anything extra would be used and out of the deck from the beginning.

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Good questions Foolzsight.

I use my case to dip into to switch the deck for when I use a disposable deck. As I finish with my trick before I am putting an envelope back in the case, do the switch, and go right into Hotel 52.

Other than that, pockets work very well. You can always pretend to be finished (putting the deck in your pocket), then say, (leaving your hand in your pocket) "well... let me try something else..." (as you pull out the new deck)

Or use a topit in your hoodie

j

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results