Derren Brown Playing Cards

Dec 12, 2018
Firstly, I'm so happy this has finally happened!

Being English aswell, it's awesome the two amazing world of T11 and DB have come together and created an amazing and unique deck.

I know this mite be just speculation.
Being from England I couldn't really get the special 2 card box edition but only preorder 2 decks from the great people of JP Playing Cards here in england.

So, my question would be.
Do you believe/know if this deck will be a marked deck?
I would hope so as I love marked decks and it would fit in with DB and who he is.

If anyone knows anything please let me know.
Kind regards and thank you.
Jimmy

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com

It would be a cool idea, but this deck is not marked. Marked decks have a limited number of uses - we wanted this deck to be usable by anyone and everyone, not just by people hoping to gain advantage with a marked deck.

Unless otherwise specified, or if they come as a part of a trick, our decks tend to be normal, ungimmicked decks. Maybe we will have a Derren Brown marked deck at some point, who knows! In the meantime, there is nothing to stop you from creating a marking system for your decks!

Enjoy your new decks, they are exquisite!

// L

Reactions: Jimmy88

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
Firstly, I'm so happy this has finally happened!

Being English aswell, it's awesome the two amazing world of T11 and DB have come together and created an amazing and unique deck.

I know this mite be just speculation.
Being from England I couldn't really get the special 2 card box edition but only preorder 2 decks from the great people of JP Playing Cards here in england.

So, my question would be.
I would hope so as I love marked decks and it would fit in with DB and who he is.

If anyone knows anything please let me know.
Kind regards and thank you.
Jimmy

I saw you put DB and thought you were referring to David Blaine every time lol although, A Monarchs X Split Spade collab wouldn't be so bad - I want royalties if it ever goes ahead haha

They did state the deck has a secret, I'm guessing something similar to NPH.

NPH, Jimmy Fallon, NYSM and now Derren Brown. I can't wait to see the next collab

Nurul

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2013
Birmingham, UK
I saw you put DB and thought you were referring to David Blaine every time lol although, A Monarchs X Split Spade collab wouldn't be so bad - I want royalties if it ever goes ahead haha

They did state the deck has a secret, I'm guessing something similar to NPH.

NPH, Jimmy Fallon, NYSM and now Derren Brown. I can't wait to see the next collab

Oh wait, its the letter that comes with the boxset that has a secret to it

Reactions: Jimmy88
Dec 12, 2018
Oh wait, its the letter that comes with the boxset that has a secret to it

I would love to see that aswell,
I'm loving the whole collab "series"
So to speak.
I feel you get personality with the cards. Like Steve Cohens, NPH.. you totally feel this represents them and that they had there input of design.

The letter, and it's a secret.
Totally made me feel there was a marking system to this.
It's a shame we miss out on the secret, or the letter.
A Derren Brown letter would of been awesome.

I would love, LOVE to see a Rob Zabrecky deck!

Reactions: JoshL8
Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
7 months on, any more on this decks 'Secret' aspect?
It's just for the box set, not for the basic deck.

All Magician produced Cards should have markings built into the designs
Card reveals or gaffs, sure. But markings on the card backs? I wouldn't want every magician-produced deck having this.

Plus there are so many different marking systems that exist, starting with reader systems and coded systems.

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Because it can't be examined. A quick riffle test (taking the deck to the movies) by a spectator will reveal that it's marked, and make them suspicious that it's a "trick deck".

Even if you're doing card magic that doesn't even use the markings, they'll think that you're able to do your magic because it's a special deck. To strengthen the illusion of impossibility, it's important that your spectator has every reason to think that what you're using is a normal deck.

Nov 3, 2018
Because it can't be examined. A quick riffle test (taking the deck to the movies) by a spectator will reveal that it's marked, and make them suspicious that it's a "trick deck".
How often have you had your deck examined in this way by a spectator? My (admittedly limited) experience is that laymen are usually aware of the basic concept of marked decks, but don't really know how such markings would look (though that might have to do with the German term for "marked deck", which doesn't so clearly suggest visual markings). And even if they do, I doubt there are many of those who'd know the examination method of "taking the deck to the movies".

Also, there are more subtle ways to mark a deck than those usually used by magicians. These methods, however, aren't really practical for us, so this is said purely for completion's sake.

Reactions: Liderc
Sep 20, 2009

Even if you're doing card magic that doesn't even use the markings, they'll think that you're able to do your magic because it's a special deck. To strengthen the illusion of impossibility, it's important that your spectator has every reason to think that what you're using is a normal deck.

Which Is why I said they should be designed into it, what makes you think an audience doesn't think a normal deck of cards isn't marked?

if the markings is designed into it, it is at least "natural" or more natural than having to add your own markings or those markings where it's just the number printed there

The question should be why would you let an audience riffle test your deck, and if they are doing that, they are not going to believe anything you do anyway

Mar 15, 2018
boardgamegeek.com
Which Is why I said they should be designed into it, what makes you think an audience doesn't think a normal deck of cards isn't marked?

The question should be why would you let an audience riffle test your deck, and if they are doing that, they are not going to believe anything you do anyway
You wouldn't let them actually do this of course. But if they said "Can I look at the deck, is it a trick deck?" you'd immediately be on the back foot, and have to start managing things to prevent that. With an ordinary deck that's no issue at all - you can actively hand it out and say "examine the deck, you can see it's perfectly normal."

Read what Harry Lorayne has to say about this - he always argued strongly that you should use a normal deck as possible. For this reason, he used to prefer working with a deck provided by his host.

It heightens the illusion of impossibility, because it completely rules out any possibility of using trick props. And that's what makes strong magic: making things seem as impossible as you can.

Nov 3, 2018
Read what Harry Lorayne has to say about this - he always argued strongly that you should use a normal deck as possible. For this reason, he used to prefer working with a deck provided by his host.
I'm not arguing against this, but I'm still curious about the question posed before: Have your spectators ever tried taking the deck to the movies?

Sep 20, 2009

And I disagree with almost everything Lorayne has to say :cool:

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results