Didn't really like andthensome.

Sep 1, 2007
How about the Goat change? My DVD should arrive in a few days... What do you guys think about Goat change (hard, practical?) ?

Well, the Goat is further down on my list of favorites. A Cardini Change accomplishes the same thing, is just as visual, more practical, and ends much cleaner.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Well, the Goat is further down on my list of favorites. A Cardini Change accomplishes the same thing, is just as visual, more practical, and ends much cleaner.

I agree, i thought the method in the goat change was to difficult. There are alot simpler color changes, that look just as good.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
After watching everything on the DVD... the only thing I'm actually going to put time into is Portal. The rest I wont even bother with because it doesn't seem useful to me - it was a very well done Dvd but I guess this one wasn't for me.

thats exactly how i feel, portal is the only thing im going to use. I liked the spinning double, but thats about it

Jan 10, 2009
I understand where you're coming from, however, I personally feel differently.

I'm getting to that point in magic where new things are becoming easier for me to perfect. It's at this point that subtle touches of finesse are things that I really like to learn and work on. So for me, Andthensome is perfect. I see myself learning and using nearly everything on the DVD.

quoted for so much truth it almost hurts.

Jan 28, 2009
Some posting in this thread may not have experienced this yet, due to age restrictions, but if you rock up to someone in a loud night club or a bar (situations directly referenced by D&D in the Trilogy's 'booklet') it's really hard to start going into some ridiculous patter about your mystical magicalness. You're lucky if they can hear you speak. There's nothing impractical on the DVD, it's just really really hard to get it to look slick. Stuff like Portal in a night club, is gold.

The Goat change has one advantage over a cardini. The Cardini is somewhat angle sensitve. Someone stood beside you in the wrong place may spot it. The covering hand is only so big. The Goat change can be done when completely surrounded.

It depends what you like. Personally I like visual, impressive looking stuff, rather than a lot of patter. These tricks seem to have been designed in situations where you can't patter, and to not have that in your arsenal because it requires a lot of work is a bit sad.

Personally I thought it rocked, and I'm new to all of this, and so stuff like double lifts and basic changes still need some work, but this DVD and the trilogy has utterly changed how I handle and think about a deck of cards, and that is well worth it on its own. Moreover, the doubles I can now do, and how I encorporate them into routines is vastly different. This DVD rocks, period. lol.

Some posting in this thread may not have experienced this yet, due to age restrictions, but if you rock up to someone in a loud night club or a bar (situations directly referenced by D&D in the Trilogy's 'booklet') it's really hard to start going into some ridiculous patter about your mystical magicalness. You're lucky if they can hear you speak. There's nothing impractical on the DVD, it's just really really hard to get it to look slick. Stuff like Portal in a night club, is gold.

The Goat change has one advantage over a cardini. The Cardini is somewhat angle sensitve. Someone stood beside you in the wrong place may spot it. The covering hand is only so big. The Goat change can be done when completely surrounded.

It depends what you like. Personally I like visual, impressive looking stuff, rather than a lot of patter. These tricks seem to have been designed in situations where you can't patter, and to not have that in your arsenal because it requires a lot of work is a bit sad.

Personally I thought it rocked, and I'm new to all of this, and so stuff like double lifts and basic changes still need some work, but this DVD and the trilogy has utterly changed how I handle and think about a deck of cards, and that is well worth it on its own. Moreover, the doubles I can now do, and how I encorporate them into routines is vastly different. This DVD rocks, period. lol.

I don't have any of the DVDs (I do have some On Demand Downloads), and I feel just a little differently about the patter thing, but for the most part, I agree.

Feb 6, 2009
St. Louis, Missouri
First off, let me say Dan and Dave are amazing, and this is a great dvd. But with that said. I wont use hardly anything on this dvd, I doesn't seem practical to me.
There's 2 tricks I will use, and one double lift. But everything else doesn't seem practical, it's just fun to practice.
Please dont hear me wrong when i say this, its still a good dvd. Dan and Dave are still awesome!

Does anyone else have this same feeling?

Those are almost exactly my feelings too.
OshNegashB'Gosh and M4 is really all that im using.
The hoverspring trick and portal are something that are good enough to use too. Though portal is really hard for me to get right.:mad:

All in all it was a pretty good DVD with clear instruction, but most of the stuff was basically "leftovers". ;)

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
Those are almost exactly my feelings too.
OshNegashB'Gosh and M4 is really all that im using.
The hoverspring trick and portal are something that are good enough to use too. Though portal is really hard for me to get right.:mad:

All in all it was a pretty good DVD with clear instruction, but most of the stuff was basically "leftovers". ;)

im glad someone understands how i feel

Oct 28, 2007
well it depends on how you like too preform for me i got tons of stuff out of this i think the only things i won't be using would be encore, jones change variation, dr. 90210, and the double pirouette. this things are just way to risky and i would not use them.

everything else i will be sure to use mainly because i like flare and fancy s*** like this and i think all these things are way more practical then a lot of you are thinking and complaining about the tricks not being coexistint with patter is just crap. this is easily fixed just don't rush through the trick think up some patter seriously osh negosh b'gosh is like the perfect trick too me.

just have the balls to do the stuff

Oct 28, 2007
whats the difference between the GOAT change and the shepard change?

i probably should of answered this in my last post but what ever.

the shepard change is the same as the goats machanics but instead of snaping you turn the card like in the db spin change in swiss made.

personnally i think shepard is better then the db spin change but the goat is just awesome.

Sep 1, 2007
im glad someone understands how i feel

I mean, I get exactly where you're coming from, but the way I see it is that these are very good leftovers from like a five-star restaurant that I would gladly eat for lunch the next day. Just sayin'.

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I mean, I get exactly where you're coming from, but the way I see it is that these are very good leftovers from like a five-star restaurant that I would gladly eat for lunch the next day. Just sayin'.

which makes total sense, but you dont have to spend 35 dollars on leftovers

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
which makes total since, but you dont have to spend 35 dollars on leftovers

You mean to use the word "sense," I believe...

Point taken, but the fact remains that I will use the majority of the material on the DVD (stuff that I probably would never have thought of myself), so in my eyes, it's priceless. Or at least worth 35 bucks.

The point is, in the business we happen to be in, everthing that was impossible yesterday, has to be more impossible today. If the card changes with cover, now we have to find a way to do it without cover. Someone's skeptical that it's two cards, you need another way to prove the illusion. I don't give a damn how difficult the method is, if it's sleight of hand, and it proves the impossible, i'll put everything i've got into pulling it off... and making it look good too.

Nov 24, 2007
a lil disappointed too

I have to echo the sentiment that 'andthensome' was just a bunch of leftovers, save for a few gems like Portal and the Manfred shuffle. And, how is it that they pass off the Snap Throw from the Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes as "flic", which some chick taught them? I wish I hadn't jumped at buying this one just off the strength of the DnD brand name, ya know?

Oct 15, 2008
Tennessee
I have to echo the sentiment that 'andthensome' was just a bunch of leftovers, save for a few gems like Portal and the Manfred shuffle. And, how is it that they pass off the Snap Throw from the Encyclopedia of Card Flourishes as "flic", which some chick taught them? I wish I hadn't jumped at buying this one just off the strength of the DnD brand name, ya know?

Me2, I should have waited. but at least its signed.
And i still think dan and dave are freaken great

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
The point is, in the business we happen to be in, everthing that was impossible yesterday, has to be more impossible today. If the card changes with cover, now we have to find a way to do it without cover. Someone's skeptical that it's two cards, you need another way to prove the illusion. I don't give a damn how difficult the method is, if it's sleight of hand, and it proves the impossible, i'll put everything i've got into pulling it off... and making it look good too.

I couldn't agree more with what you said.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results