Digital Dissolve

Nov 27, 2008
HI! I AM NEW TO THEORY 11. I AM A CARD MAN - JUST WANT TO KNOW - is digital dissolve really worth $50.00? Can someone who's bought it tell me if it is worth getting? Thanks.

Nov 27, 2008
The gimmick alone may be worth the price. I would like to know how it is any different than a "Slippery Sam."

Sep 1, 2007
Exposure much? If not, are the COINS magnetic? If it isn't exposure, please repsond, if it is... EDIT YOUR POST!!!

Cheers,

-Sanj

That's not exposure... if someone saw digital dissolve and asked you "how is that done?" and you say "a slippery sam gimmick," they wouldn't have a clue... it's not exposure.

C

clarrus

I'm a card man myself and in my opinion, it is definately worth the money. I love that effect.

Getting back on topic-- from my experience, I find that coin magic (in general) is pretty expensive. The gaffs required to perform some of its material are difficult to make due to hand-craftsmanship and precision machinery. You'll find in most cases, purchasing coin magic will be more expensive than you're used to spending on cards and close-up material.

With that said, Digital Dissolve comes supplied with the necessary coins and gaffs as well as the instructional DVD. The gaff by itself could run around $50, especially since it's allegedly built by a reputable craftsman, Jamie Schoolcraft. DVDs these days run for $25-35 by themselves as well. While you are only paying for one effect, it is most likely an effect you will regularly use. If you perform professionally, it will pay for itself after a night or two of performances. I recommend Digital Dissolve; I think it's a direct trick that happens in the spectators' hands. Based on price alone, it's a bargain.

With that said-- coins don't appeal to all magicians and that's fine. If you're new to coin magic, I suggest getting a solid book before exploring it more with this single effect. Bobo's Modern Coin Magic is an excellent foundation. Without a background, I think Digital Dissolve could potentially look and feel awkward in the hands of someone who isn't comfortable working with coins. I think that's worth mentioning.

RS.

May 24, 2008
I notice that people have failed to mention the many many possiblities that this gaff has. There are many of tricks that can be accomplished. Digital dissolve is just one of them.

Jul 26, 2008
NJ
I think this should be in product questions.

Anyway, my friend just gave this to me and it definitely is worth the price. It's great, especially after you've mastered it and learned what works best.

F

fizzypopo8005

I don't know if this is exposure or anything, but is the gimmick for this expanded?

Apr 5, 2009
Considering Jamie Schoolcraft's "regular" C/S (penny / kennedy half dollar) sells for $50 at his site, I would think this is a good deal... You essentially get a "Free Effect" out of the deal.

/M

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Considering Jamie Schoolcraft's "regular" C/S (penny / kennedy half dollar) sells for $50 at his site, I would think this is a good deal... You essentially get a "Free Effect" out of the deal.

Steve

You know, you don't need to get Schoolcrafts C/S. You could do the same effect with a Johnson or some other decently priced one.

Sep 1, 2007
Calgary
www.hermitmagic.com
You guys who think that all your coin gimmicks have to be Schoolcraft or Lassen are absolutely ridiculous. It's LUDICROUS to think you have to buy a 50 dollar C/S gimmick over a 10 dollar one.

"Money-gicians" lol

Scott.

Mar 29, 2008
Scott - do you own any Lassen or Schoolcraft coins? I have used lower quality coin gimmicks, and they look like lower quality sets...they handle like that.

Buy a Johnson shell - it fits like you trying to wear Shaq's sneakers...yeah, I know, I could have made a harder comparison to something that was loose...moving on.

I own Lassen products, but only a few, a friend of mine owns almost ALL of them - from the triple threat gimmick to a copper silver - I have handled them all - even his custom made stuff, for created effects. I am not saying to fool people you need Lassen stuff, but I know that I can roll a shelled coin across my fingers without it unshelling, you can't do that with a 10 dollar shell. I also know that I have seen many Johnson copper silver gimmicks...which are cut in half and crazy glued, become unglued during performance. I have used Lassen product for a long time, and am more than happy with his work.

What it comes down to is this - how good do you want your tools to be.

Perhaps you are the kind of guy that uses dollar store playing cards...or, to go back to the basketball analogy, perhaps you are a Wal-mart runner guy...but I prefer to wear Jordans. Not because they are Jordans, but because they are designed by the best to be the best (Jordan designed his shoe for him, and sold it - nice perk).

Anyhow - I own digital dissolve, I was aware of this effect, from Lee sending me the video, about 10 years before T11 sold it. When you order the gimmick from Lassen, it is MINT - a slippery sam allows for some cool stuff, especially if you know how to handle it.

That being said - I found the gimmicks in the DD package to be flimsy, and not always sized to the provided coins to prevent the hidden coin from being seen. Not the best bang for your buck.

I thought the effect looked like a 10 on video, and I don't usually fall for this hype, but knowing the strength of it, and seeing it in the hands of a few pros awhile back - I finally bought in....and was disappointed.

I think this effect looks and plays better when you use a Morgan dollar coin, with a larger Slippery Sam equal - THIS you can order from Lassen, and it will be worth it - precision, as it won't be in bulk, but custom made.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Well I say this all down to what you can afford. If you are able to buy the custom stuff then go with Schoolcraft or lassen. If you can't, then from what I have read is that Johnson shells are pretty much the best mass produced ones on the market.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results