Disguising a force

Discussion in 'Magic Forum' started by YRAMagicMan, Sep 10, 2012.

1. I have an idea for a card trick done backwards, but I'm not sure the best way to cover the force required. The idea is to start with a card on the table, face up and tell the spectator, "that is your card," replace the card in the deck, then have them pick a card and it be the card they saw on the table. The problem is that it seems that a force there would be the logical assumption from a spectator. How would I avoid this? I'd like to use the Classic Force or a Spread Cull Force for this trick, just so you know what mechanics I'm thinking of.

2. I don't know if you'll be able to avoid it entirely. I occasionally do a thing where the same card keeps being selected as a kind of ice breaker (and I know I'm not remotely unique in that) and I use a variety of forces and controls to do it.

You'd disguise the same way you'd disguise a force in any situation. By looking natural and acting like someone who isn't forcing a card.

3. How about only one person knowing that the card is to be the chosen card, like you're telling a single spectator a secret. Then perform your little miracle and incorporate the first person's knowledge into the finale of the trick (like the beginning, someone naming a card to use).

4. The spectator's first thought, like you said, is going to be that you forced the card, so the solution is just to keep your hands off the deck. Something like a criss-cross force would work, where you take the card back, control it to the top, then have them cut the deck and do the criss-cross force. They'll think they cut right to it by themselves, but you'll still have forced the card.

5. I like the way you think! Thanks for the help guys. I'll figure out a way to do this and make it awesome.