Distortion - January 2007?

Sep 1, 2007
I was just searching some videos on youtube and came across this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5GK1d-GS1Y

The trick looks exactly like Distortion (for those of you who are impatient just skip to about 2:10 into the video), but the video was posted in January '06 while the effect wasn't released until October '07. Anyone know who this guy is? I'm just bringing this up because I thought it was a little strange and want to see you guys speculate.

I was just searching some videos on youtube and came across this one:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=o5GK1d-GS1Y

The trick looks exactly like Distortion (for those of you who are impatient just skip to about 2:10 into the video), but the video was posted in January '06 while the effect wasn't released until October '07. Anyone know who this guy is? I'm just bringing this up because I thought it was a little strange and want to see you guys speculate.

That guy, is none other than Cyril, Japanese magician, and Magician Of The Year 2006 (I think). Distirtion is an unique effect, there are loads of others like it.

Cheers, Tom

Sep 2, 2007
his name is Cyril
He's a god in the world of magic.
And, he created his own moving pips a while back
You really should at least know Cyril

The Moving Pips card is a very old trick. Distortion is a just a variation of the handling. The gimmick and effect have been around for along time. I think the first time it appearedin print was in Richard Kaufman's 5 X 5 Japan book.

So there ya go. Distortion is just a handling of the gimmick. The gimmick's been around.

And that guy is Cyril Takaynama.(not sure if I spelled the last name right) A very famous and great magician. Check out his ACR routine. Wayne Houchin was a consultant for him. Check out Cyril's performances.

So there are your facts for the day.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
That effect can be found in a rare book called 5x5 Japan. It teaches you how to make the gimmick.

The gimmick found in 5x5 Japan used for the effect "New Era Moving Pips" actually uses a different gimmick that of the one that Distortion uses and I would also assume different to the one that Cyril uses (being as he mainly only uses his own stuff).

The one taught in 5x5 can also be applied to different cards with a little thinking and it's VERY easy to make. I highly recommend getting the book, it's fantastic.

- Sean

Sep 2, 2007
Distortion is Wayne Houchin's routine with the Moving Pips card. Here's the history:
The Moving Pip card (the gimmick that makes this possible) has been around since at least the 1970's. It looks like it may have origniated from Japan. It was first done as a stage gag using a jumbo card. In 1980, Michael Ammar was the first (as far as we can tell) to have the moving pip card made with a NORMAL poker sized playing card. In 1981 he published his routine using the card "Visually Yours." Michael graciously contributed his routine to the Distortion project & it is taught & performed as a bonus - on the DVD.

So what is Distortion? "Distortion" is MY routine using the Moving Pip gimmick, just like "Visually Yours" is Michael Ammar's routine using the Moving Pip gimmick. I have worked out a transposition effect that creates quite an impact.

So, to sum it all up: The Moving Pip gimmick that you recieve with the DVD has been around for a long time. Michael Ammar was the first to have it made with a normal sized poker card. Michael's fantastic routine "Visually Yours" is taught on the DVD with HIS permission & blessing. "Distortion" is MY routine using the same gimmick.
Cheers,
JTM

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yeah, Richard Kaufman just recently had it reprinted, so you better get it while you can, because I don't know if he's going to keep having it reprinted, or if this will be the last time. I myself should be getting a copy for Christmas.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Yup, I was definitely excited when I saw they arrived at Penguin. Hopefull I'll have one in my hands by Christmas time. :)

Sep 2, 2007
This gimmick (and the one from Distorytion) are different from the one from 5X5 Japan. that one is amazing. but I mson;t llike the whole deck part. I'm probably going to pick up distortion after christmas with my money....

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results