Diving Board double

Nov 18, 2008
CA
How long did that take to get it to what it is now? I remember seeing this on Asher's site a while ago and imagining how hard it must be to get it consistent each time...

Nov 10, 2007
I am actually in the process of getting the behind the back double down even though there is no point in doing so.

Nov 18, 2008
CA
Yeah even though the behind-the-back is really cool there is no way you would actually perform with it. It's kind of overkill..

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
your handling of the diving board double is great... however, the flicks...... the constant card flicking..... to be honest, makes my head hurt.

Check out Liquidsn's blog, and read his post / watch his video, on Visual Noise.

It is such an important but very commonly overlooked principle in magic.

http://forcesunseen.wordpress.com

Nov 10, 2007
Are you talking about mine or the other guy who decided to put a link in in my thread even though he could have started another one.

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I am talking about yours.

don't get me wrong, I think your handling and execution of the double is great, but the added card handling, ie flicks, can be a bit ... overdone?

I think that a single flick, used when revealing a card after a transpo or change is fine... as it adds a bit of sound and attention to the revelation. However, flicking and tapping a card after every single turn over is something that is overly done by young magicians. This and card spins actually, have a time and place where they can be used, but if you think about it, when performing for laymen, there actually isnt ANY time where they HAVE to or even SHOULD be used.

Flourishing however is a different story. The idea of flourishing is to show off dexterity, and I admit that the diving board double is a flourish, and not many magicians use the diving board double in an actual routine for laymen (if they did... well, thats a different topic for a different thread).

So, as for your video, I think it is fine, but just as a caution, really really try and consciously think about all of your actions and movements. Think, "does this have a purpose? Does this take away attention where I want attention? Does this add attention to where I DONT want attention? etc..."

If you are keeping in mind all of these things, you will be able to see in some of your videos, and in many other videos, and if I were to make some, probably a few in mine, that there are a LOT of unneccessary movements that although, not all creat suspicion, all could be removed.

Just some thoughts. But again, I think you are becoming a very well versed card technician, so keeping trying to improve and succeed in ALL aspects of sleight of hand. That being both technique and performance quality.

Nov 10, 2007
Let me quickly clear this up when I am performing for laymen I would in no way use the diving board double to do a double, the only time I will use the diving board double is if:
Spectator wants me to do something that looks cool
I am in competition
or if I am jamming with other magicians
Thank You
- Donald

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Just to clarify- it's fine to use the Diving Board Double in performances, just not the Acrobatic Version, since there's no way you can nail it 100% of the time.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results