Do TnRs go completely against magic?

Ok, well I was watching FOUR (By the way, check out my review) and I was listening to Huron and his thoughts about TnRs, heres what he had to say....

"A piece by piece restoration has always seemed to be that of logical progression. But logical progression isn't exactly something that makes magic wonderful, amazing or powerful, it can make magic quite predictable and boring..."

He goes on to talk about how doing a TnR and giving them the card to keep is really, quite pointless. It give the spectator no reason to keep the card because it leaves no evidence that the effect ever occurred. So whats the point of a souvenir?

Whats your say?

Cheers, Tom

Oct 12, 2007
Orlando Fl
oh is that for making ends meet? After that he probably says something like "thats why I invented making ends meet, it gives the spectator an evidence of such an occurence", am I right?

One beautiful thing about magic is how spectators so often embellish it in their mind as time goes on. If you were to give them a video tape of the performance as a souvenir, well, that would be nice, but that performance would always remain exactly as it was on the tape. But say you only have them one part of the puzzle, and they had to remember the magic themselves. Then their memory of that effect could grow and grow and become more impossible and more grand as time went on, leaving them with a long lasting impression of what you did.

Or at least that's how I look at it.

Think about it,

Ryan

One beautiful thing about magic is how spectators so often embellish it in their mind as time goes on. If you were to give them a video tape of the performance as a souvenir, well, that would be nice, but that performance would always remain exactly as it was on the tape. But say you only have them one part of the puzzle, and they had to remember the magic themselves. Then their memory of that effect could grow and grow and become more impossible and more grand as time went on, leaving them with a long lasting impression of what you did.

Or at least that's how I look at it.

Think about it,

Ryan

I suppose you could look at it that way, but with M.E.M, you have an impossible souvenir as well as the story, you actually have evidence that the event took place. With just a story, there is no evidence.

I guess everone has there own view, its just the way you look at it, I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say.

Cheers, Tom

Nov 22, 2007
A card signed by the spectator and used in what several laymen thought as the best ambitious sequence ever is handed out to the spectator. No evidence that any magic happened there.

A nickel passes through a factory sealed water bottle. It is examined and the bottle is opened to show it's really in there. The bottle and coin is handed out. Nothing says any magic happened just by looking at the coin, or the bottle.

Nov 16, 2007
www.youtube.com
IMHO, giving away the restored card at the end of TnR is a good idea. The evidence of a restored card is in their own hands, and their memories serve another evidence. When you leave someone a card, it's a trigger to the event that happened. Everytime they see the card, they'll talk about how the cards were restored. I performed DGs Torn in front of 700 people, after I hand out the card to the spectator who signed the card, the card went person to person throughout the entire auditorium. And weeks later, I still have people come up to me saying the signed card was restored with no glue because they felt it. And that experience has augmented what DG said in the tape all along, which is handing out the signed restored card after the TnR routine is a good idea. Besides, DG has been doing Torn for years, and it has been audience tested. Since DG hands out the restored card in the end, it must be the right thing to do.

just my 2.5 cents :D

Ya, I mean no offense dude, but What else would you do with a signed cards thats folded in fourths? The evedence that the magic happened is in there head, it's a souvenier. The spectators that it really hit hard with will keep it. At least for a while, maybe in there wallet, purse, whatever. What i like to do is signed my cards after the effect is done so they get a souveneir of someone who they think they might see on tv someday. Every magician with some skill in routining should have gotten this from a complete stranger. I don't mean to toot my own horn or anything, I know I will never be on tv for my magic. I wouldn't want that kind of public view. Once you get to that point, magic is not magic anymore. But the magic once again is in there head, they will relive the moment several times in there head before they forget it.

Deryn

Elite Member
Sep 4, 2007
Tampa Bay, FL
www.instagram.com
I think a souvenir is given to remind the spectator of that point in time.. sure the card isn't evidence but the momories are what they'll have. Remember, speculation is a factor in magic. How many times have you heard a spectator telling their friends what you just did (and it was WAY far off of what you just did) and you've thought to yourself, "it didn't happen like that."

Nov 24, 2007
Hermosillo Sonora
The good about the souvenirs, it´s that let´s the expectator to thing that the card was magically restored because they dont feel something sticky, but if you don´t hand the card to them, they might think you used some kind of sticky glue or something, and they will forget that moment in a while. So, if they keep the card and watch it before going to sleep they will be at least 20 minutes thinking of how you magically restored a card. FOR A LONG TIME
:D

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results