Does Coin Magic...

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Seems like when I was on the road doing shows, the philistines came out to put their “stupid” mark on the forum wall, isn’t that wonderful. Okay, so let’s clear up some of the stupid left by others.

Coastaldude – if you are claiming to people you have the magic powers to bite coins, bend them, and make smoke appear…then this post is not for you. I go under the assumption that the people I perform for are not blithering idiots. I work for intelligent people that enjoy intelligent and fun magic. When you make claims, where the only method to perform a feat could be super powers or a gimmick, what do you think they will believe first? I have a hard time with those effects. So, you can bend a spoon…and quarters…both thin metal objects…but not this pole your mom dances around? Hmm, well, I think you should make some sleeve smoke surround you and disappear. I am not being condescending, that is when someone talks down to you, but if this is the magic you do – this forum thread is not for you. You live in happy magic land, where everyone believes everything you do is “real” magic. Nice – now go play War of Worlds, Magic the Gathering and try not to cry yourself to sleep. Don’t worry, if you are a good boy – Santa will come and give you more magic gimmicks to make friends with. Haha, SLEEVING!?? Haha, yeah audience never thinks it goes up your sleeve…haha, hell they do even when it doesn’t! Oh dude! Thanks for posting

hey "More-on" what happen? Did your dad hit you with a sock full of coins when you did wrong?(I was going to say a kid but i think you still are). You seem to know it all already so why ask? go back on the road but remember to only perform for the intelligent. I hope one day you'll learn magic and not just tricks.

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Awww....someone is feeling left out - I didn't pay attention to your comments, so you are trying to get more offensive. You will have to do much better - as I know that what I do is better than what you do. Picking on me for challenging the status quo - you are just challenged. I bet you are one of those guys that does restaurant work, NOT as a magician, but perhaps as a low brow chef...haha, you do magic...for the servers. You think your little pocket stunners get you attention you are a real magician. However, what if I were a very talented and well known magician, would it make my opinion more valid…how about I am as horrible as say, Matthew Richman – would that make my opinion less valid, unfortunately, no. The reason I posted this was to see if anyone would step up and say...

You know what - coins are HARD both technically and presentationally - how can I make coin magic more enjoyable? Can I answer this challenge? How can I make coin magic stronger?

Instead you answered it with platitude, as you are content with mediocrity. If you’re magic is close to as unoriginal and off base as your posts have been in this thread – than I PITY your spectators, as everyone else that has posted will have to deal with your magic malpractice to win people back over to love magic again once you are done with them.

Nate, I only perform for the intelligent, which reminds me of two things – one, I will never have to perform for you, and second, I assume most people are smart enough to figure out magic – as people are not as dumb as you think…oh, but you don’t think as you have not added to this conversation. Thanks for posting though – as you have maintained this valuable and informative post at the top of the list.

I don’t know it all – but I think I am educated on what I speak about – and strive to learn more. Perhaps you need a notepad, because you should be taking notes.

For now – school’s out.
How did you know I was a chef? thats amazing. and your right I do perform for the servers and anyone who I like no IQ test needed.

Sep 24, 2007
Feelings are getting hurt. Remember that you don't have to be mean to prove your point.

To take this from another angle, what type of magic does have interesting and fun presentations? When we find that out, we can deconstruct and apply what we find out to coins.

Mar 29, 2008
If censorship reigns there cannot be sincere flattery, and only small men are afraid of small writings."

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 11, 2008
New york
Thanks Chicken,

I am not sure it would be such a great idea to chat other effects, because different props have different strengths and weaknesses.

How about we break down the strengths and weaknesses - I will start us off.

Strength:

- Coins are common objects that most people will have on them
- Coins are visual
- Gimmicks have been constructed that are very natural looking and deceptive - some can withstand scrutiny
- Coins are inherently interesting - people like the look and sound of money

Weaknesses:

- There are limitations to what can be done magically with coin in effect
- Those same limitations also apply to plots
- Coins are hard - technically (so what though?)

Here is one I wasn't sure where to put:

- People use coins that are not from their country often or out of circulation - to wrap this up in one example - A Canadian using a Morgan Dollar.

What is your opinion on this - and please post more pro's and con's - when we have compiled a list, we can then talk about ideas to try and make coin magic more logical in it's effects and talk about presentational meaning that makes sense.

Any ideas?

- I also think we can put "Visual" on the other list too.(sometimes not so visual)
-I have had to stop to let them see the half dollars first and this is the U.S(it breaks flow)

off topic: I really do like the torn and restored girl friend photo plot.

Dec 4, 2007
www.thrallmind.com
I want to end with one last thought – WHAT THE F IS A JUMBO COIN? How illogical is that…look…a man-hole cover! HUH? Proving once again that coin magic uses shock value rather than creating mystery.

A jumbo coin is a modification. It's taking a coin, and making it larger. There is a very cool looking one out there where you place a coin in the specs hand, and then hold a magnifying glass (now referred to as glass) over it. You slowly pull the glass up, and due to the glass, it looks as if the coin is growing. You then pull the glass away and the coin is actually in the enlarged state. All happens in the spectators hands.

Eric James also does something in Downtown Atlanta. He takes a coin, spins it up into the air, and you actually see the coin grow as its spinning in the air. It's really beautiful to watch.

If your coin magic is stagnant, I would blame it on the performer. You name some magicians who make coin magic look good. Nothing is stopping anyone else from doing the same.

Cards are no different. One card changes into another. Or is found sealed inside an envelope in the magician wallet, so on and so fourth.

Lastly, the big meaty hands thing...if you get your sleights down, you can fairly show your hands, removing all doubt of coins being hidden in them.

You can make the worlds best effect look like childs play, or you can take a horrible effect and make it look amazing. Magic is all about presentation.

-ThrallMind

Mar 29, 2008
[I look upon those who would deny others the right to urge and argue their position, however irksome and pernicious they may seem, as intellectual and moral cowards

Jan 11, 2008
New york
the jumbo coin reminds me of a joke gift my brother gave me when i was 18 i think,it was six rubber Roachs five thumb size ones and one fat hand size one, I played with them like coins specifically coins across the one in Bobo's book under the name "Coins in teeth"(page146) I never thought of how it doesn't make sense to put a coin in my teeth just to put the other in the other hand. but when i did the same trick with the Roachs to me it made lots of sense to put a roach between my teeth. for the climax i stacked the two Roachs in a spellboundish way and pet them for a job well done "Go ahead pet them they're rubber" with that as someone would reach out for a touch, I give them one last rub changing them into the big fat one.
-they know the Roach's are rubber but still cringed at the thought of one in my mouth.(Always)
The "petting "of the Roach's for a job well done made more sense then "rubbing" a coin.
someone has to come in closer to pet the rubber roachs then the climax hits.It was lots of fun to do.screams was allways at the end.

To make coins make more sense do we have to remove the coins them self
and why did a roach between my teeth makes more sense to me then a coin?

Mar 29, 2008
Pass me the roach!

I Will Not Be Unprofessional

Sep 1, 2007
Melbourne
Spellbound perhaps? Coins to glass (coins across)?

But yea, after several discussions I have had with many magicians, we agree that a jumbo coin is not that great of a prop even as a final ending.
I usually use a deck of cards as the final load of a coin flurry so I can transition into a card trick, or use a business card as a substitute for a deck.
Shoot asked me to try using a spoon instead if ever I did restaurant walk around.
better if it was stolen off the table you were working at.

Mar 29, 2008
Freedom of the Press, if it means anything at all, means the freedom to criticize and oppose

Sep 24, 2007
Why would one coin change from one metal to another? Nathan Kranzo gives an excuse that couples with his "Stone Purse."

"The magician is afraid that someone will want to steal his nice silver coins so he turns them into worthless copper slugs."

That's the Kranzo line.

Also, i think it would be really nice to steal some washers (worthless) and then turn them into money. More spellbound excuses, or rather, reasons.

Mar 29, 2008
Yeah, I have Stone Purse - and when Nate does it, it's gold - I think that is a great idea turning slugs into coins...in what context would you do that?

Thanks Chicken.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
You got my attention. I didn't read the entire thing bot coin magic doesn't suck. They are perfect for kids who don't know what cards are. They don't suck. Muscle pass.

Sep 24, 2007
I think "copper slugs" refers to copper coins.

Not real slugs that are made of copper.

that would be creepy.

Sep 4, 2007
Antioch,CA
I don't know Chicken - I mean, Nate uses Roaches...this guy could use actual slugs? I wonder if he uses snails...but then he might flash the shell - cricket...cricket.

Oh JPD - your post was a bit ignorant - "I didn't read the entire thing - but coin magic doesn't suck"? Come on man - at least read the entire first post - don't be so lazy. This is why so many young magicians suck - they think reading is work. WOW!! JPD - Just Plain Dumb = jokes.

Um, your saying I suck? I don't think so dude.

Aug 31, 2007
I think there are many tricks in magic, not just coin tricks, that don't have logical sense. Yet, they're constantly performed everywhere around the world by many magicians.

Think about that for a moment. Do magic tricks necessarily need perfect "logical sense"?

- harapan. magic!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results