Does Coin Magic...

Sep 24, 2007
I agree about "the personal safe"

Sorry Mr. Garcia, but backtracking seems a bit obvious... and i'm sure both the performer and the magician feel a bit uncomfortable the moment after the phrase "can i borrow your ring" is said.

... BUT, if you can whip it into some wacky storyline about how people steal money from cash registers while clerks are distracted, you may have a succesful routine!

Shane... do you judge the effectiveness of a routine by how loudly the spectators react? Because that's not how i would judge routines...

Jan 11, 2008
New york
it has to be a "Need" to be met.
it cant be a routine that before you start you hear a friend whisper "Watch this"
could you go through someones book bag or purse with out them knowing before you get strange on them? how else would i know if they're going to be hungry for a ham sandwich unless i steal their lunch first?

to rip and restore a bill is one thing but to go into someones wallet and half rip a bill in their own wallet then ask "Dose anybody want something from the store?" and hope they say yes then hope they reach for that half riped bill. then you have the beginning of a miracle.

I can not for the life of me think of a coin efect that can be done along this thinking path......but im still thinking.

Mar 29, 2008
Take away the right to say "****" and you take away the right to say "**** the government." ~Lenny Bruce

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I read and understood your reply to my post and I first want to say I didn't argue your point due to the fact that Im not here to bicker and fight about your opinion and set of views on coin magic but I was merely stating my opinion to the discussion in hand.

While I respect your response I think you may have misunderstood my approach to you and Ill clear that up a little. I didnt mean to sound as if I was talking down to you or your not sufficient in coin mechanics but I was speaking of your response to coin magic not having the ability to be a stand alone effect and have the same capabilities as card magic when speaking of an entertainment sense.

Yes, you can to a degree measure your success as a performer to the type of reactions you get from your audience and to think otherwise is just ignorant. But saying that I dont measure myself on how good I am as a performer by that either. I measure the effectiveness of my routines by my delivery and thats what I meant by that statement.

I understand your fustration with having to explain yourself over and over especially to someone who hasnt read through the complete thread but in my defense I was at work and I didnt have the time I would have liked to have read each response. I can feel you on some of the things youve last said. and I would be interested in some of that material your speaking of but never the less the material I use with coins range from several sources and the effects I named are just some of my favorite effects but neverless that doesnt measure my knowledge into coin magic either. I say put your money where your mouth is and forget about bickering about nonsense and perform. Too much time is spent sometimes picking every little thing apart in magic instead of just letting it be get out there and make it awesome. This is in no way trying to insult you or belittle you. I believe the effectiveness of magic lies within us and not the props where using this is my opinion. You can try and pick me apart but Im not biting Ive stated my view and Im willing to look at some of that material if you so choose to PM me with them.

Peace,

Shane

Mar 29, 2008
If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all. ~Noam Chomsky

Jan 11, 2008
New york
When i was a kid my uncle use to spellbound a tooth into a coin "tooth fairy" style. but for table hopping and at my age (37) thats just gross.

A coin collector (a numismatist) always have a coin in a neat Little plastic case.....thats as far as i got with that one but i like the path that thinkings going.

Im a little busy today but I still plan on sitting down later to re-read all the post and your essay and I plan on writing myown essay in response to yours Morgiain. I find at this point I appreciate your ideas and I plan on deeply intergrating those ideas into my response. I just didnt want you thinking I was ignoring your reply Im just strapped for time this week.

Shane

Sep 24, 2007
... Nate... I'll give it a try.

Coin collectors, or numismatists (spelling?) always have this little case to keep their coins in. (display case... open it up and dump out a dirty and beat up coin) This is to keep the coin clean.

Personally, i think this is a little _____ (fill in negative term) (throw away plastic case.) What i do, is take dirty old coins, give them a little rub (give the ocin a little rub, changing it into a bright new coin)

... and the coin cleans itself! This way, i can pick coins up off the street (pick a coin up off the ground) , rub it (spellbound it to "polish" it) and sell it to coin collectors for jacked up prices!

... plooey. i ran out of juice. Will someone else continue this routine?

Jan 11, 2008
New york
... Nate... I'll give it a try.

Coin collectors, or numismatists (spelling?) always have this little case to keep their coins in. (display case... open it up and dump out a dirty and beat up coin) This is to keep the coin clean.

Personally, i think this is a little _____ (fill in negative term) (throw away plastic case.) What i do, is take dirty old coins, give them a little rub (give the ocin a little rub, changing it into a bright new coin)

... and the coin cleans itself! This way, i can pick coins up off the street (pick a coin up off the ground) , rub it (spellbound it to "polish" it) and sell it to coin collectors for jacked up prices!

... plooey. i ran out of juice. Will someone else continue this routine?

thats good thinking but the down side would be as a laymen i just mite believe you can rub a coin to a polish finish with or with out magic. But if you can show your collectible coin in its case in your left hand and hold a borrowed coin in your right and cause a transpose of the two then wow thats logical magic at its best. asking for their coin to be singed is probably asking for to much but how else could we make their coin a "One of a kind worth keeping safe coin"? then they get to keep their singed sealed coin as a reminder of what just happened.
http://www.morganmint.com/product.cfm?Prod=1380&Link=35&source=SHOPPING

Sep 24, 2007
Playing with the signed idea, one could have them sign a coin, let it dry. the let them try to "rub" the signature off. they can't...ah... but you CAN. Talk about coin cleaning (do the spellbound change) and now, you have one of the Spectators SIGNED coins to do something with... the impossible transposition you were just speaking of?
Nice eh? No? Oh well...

Jan 11, 2008
New york
Playing with the signed idea, one could have them sign a coin, let it dry. the let them try to "rub" the signature off. they can't...ah... but you CAN. Talk about coin cleaning (do the spellbound change) and now, you have one of the Spectators SIGNED coins to do something with... the impossible transposition you were just speaking of?
Nice eh? No? Oh well...

Very nice,don't let them try to rub it off ,thats not the magic part.

"If you don't give it time to dry(spellbound with a tissue in your hand) then your mark comes off, but if we give it time to dry (they mark the new coin the same way thinking its the same coin but wiped clean) the coin becomes permanently marked, a one of a kind,like this one i always carry with me for luck(bring sealed coin out Tail side up) ................
Maybe if the second time they sign "Their coin" its a double headed coin. and putting the tissue back in your pocket after the wipe is perfect opportunity for the load into the protective coin case.a slow close of the hand and open looks like the mark vanished but combined with the turning over of the case should look like a transpose.wow chicken you hit the coin right on the heads. a lot of loose ends but worth experimenting with.

Mar 29, 2008
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to read.

SUCK?

REASON 1 – COIN MAGIC OFTEN LACKS LOGICAL REASON IN ITS EFFECTS

Many look at me effects can still be enjoyable, when they are given an emotional hook or reason to occur. Let’s take a look at one of T11’s effects for sale – PROPHET – it is a look at me effect where five $1 bills turn into five $100 bills, but the emotional hook is the question. What would you do with this money if you could do magic? They say turn it into $100.00 or make it more. This is the emotional hook that is needed, and often doesn’t exist in coin work. Often, a magician makes a coin vanish and reappear for no reason, then uses another method to do the same thing, or he makes the coin appear somewhere illogical. “Look the coin is gone – now it’s in my sock” WTF? Why in the world did it end up there? Much magic suffers from this problem, but none more than coin work.

Will effects like these get reactions? Sure – but if that is all you want – take a crap on your neighbors’ lawn – I want magic to do magic in a way that appears more natural and logical. I don’t know what is logical or natural about an Okito box or why you would make 3 coins vanish from one hand just to appear in the other…when you could place them there without magic. Really – when you see an effect, like 3 fly (Sorry Mr. Kenner), you have to ask – what are you claiming you can do that lay people cannot? (Magician) I can make 3 coins go from my left into my right hand. (Audience) so can I. (Magician) Yeah, but I can do it so you can’t see it happen. (Audience) whoopee? So, the effect is you can make coins travel invisibly a short distance?

REASON 2 – COIN MAGIC PRESENTAIONS ARE LIMITED AND DIFFICULT:

We should strive to make magic with coins exist for a reason – it is the card equivalent to colour changes for no reason, when you see spellbound routines. I can hear you guys saying, “Well, I say it happens for this reason”, but I also ask that you check that your reason isn’t verbal diarrhea that isn’t illogical rationale for illogical magic.

Here is the difference in an example:
Coins to coin purse presentational ideas:

Verbal diarrhea concept – these coins have wings on them, so they will fly from one hand to the coin holder – and…lame.

More connected and logical concept – What is the laziest thing you do…or should I say don’t do? For example, I have a friend so lazy – he won’t capitalize words when he types because the shift key is too much effort. I am pretty lazy too – I am so lazy that when I get change back from buying something…I don’t want to put it in this change holder. I usually just throw it away – which is why I have to work here now – but then figured I could put it away using magic.

S HIT – even the above example isn’t that great, so please don’t trash me – I never said I have the solution – I just notice there is a problem. It is a very hard concept to come up with logical reasons for coin magic to occur and an emotional hook to the effect.

REASON 3 – COIN MAGIC IS LIMITED IN INTERACTION

Coin magic doesn’t usually involve the spectator – you can often only use them as a table as they hold or examine the coins, or load something on them. In coin magic, you are often just using your audience’s eyes, but are not their brains, their emotions, often not even their ears? Coins don’t engage as many senses as other mediums, like cards, do. Not that I am starting a card versus coin debate, I think that is like comparing apples to oranges. I believe that doing “look at me magic” can sometimes appear, wrongly, as a challenge effect, because you are fooling people (and they can feel stupid) and it appears as if you are showing off. Also, because it looks like a game of what hand is it in…which leads me to:

REASON 4: COIN MAGIC LOOKS LIKE IT TAKES SKILL

We all agree that coin magic is one of the hardest mediums to make look good. This is because the methods used to do coin magic usually involve hiding coins in your hand, sometimes multiple coins – and they are supposed to look empty. David Williamson once talked to me about the difficulty of coin magic and how it was hard to connect with coins…because people realize it’s a game of hide and seek. Where is the coin? Hmm, perhaps behind your big meaty hook of a hand! If one of the most talented magicians in the world struggles with this – it is obviously not an easy task.

What ways do you think we can make coins more enjoyable to watch – where it doesn’t appear like skill, but something inherently interesting – but like magic – with no explanation? When you aren’t engaging the crowd, you are not playing on the strength of our craft – the interactive and inclusive nature of close up. This is one thing, of many, that can make us better than movies and TV shows.

I want to end with one last thought – WHAT THE F IS A JUMBO COIN? How illogical is that…look…a man-hole cover! HUH? Proving once again that coin magic uses shock value rather than creating mystery.

So – how do you propose we elevate the medium and make coin magic leave as strong of an impact as cups and balls, engage the senses as much as cards and have an emotional hook as strong as a bill change? Is it possible?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A couple side notes: there are a few guys…like Nate Kranzo, Troy Hoosier, Brian Roberts and a few others that can make coin magic look so good that you don’t care where the coin is or what happens – However, all these guys do their best to find ways to make coin magic more than just eye candy, and am sure they would agree with the limitations and difficulties in presenting coin magic.

Ok Morgician I first want to discuss your original post here and we'll move onto the rest in a little bit. Reading this with more time now I want to recap and discuss certain aspects of your post and throw some ideas out there as well. I have to agree with the fact that coins flying from one hand, Jumbo coins, and hide and seek values not living up to the standard that cards do. First it is illogical to have your audience feel any different then a cat and mouse game when vanishing from one hand to the other unless prompted to look like real magic. What I mean by this is yes your patter will need to make sense and have logic to a degree but if you move slowly and use lines like "look as I slowly rub my fingers together you can find the weak spot of the coin and it starts to bend", this has been presented this way with PK effects for years and retains the attention of the audience and looks like real magic at the same time leaving the audience feeling like your performing real magic as well, which is why alot of people decide to pursue magic from seeing coin tricks.

I agree that there has been a growing lack of creativity of presenting coin magic as something magical other than hey look at what I can do, and you cant. I feel coin magic is difficult and could leave us in limbo in discussions for a very long time due to the fact it takes a passion for it to make it magical which is what I think I was originally trying to state on my first post.

What are some other ways we can breach that level of a true magical moment with our audience using coins? M5, I can get a good reaction but mostly it does turn into a hide and seek reaction from my spectator. So I choose to do superman bends and a usage of a connected patter to my viewer in the essence of my question gets a question. " Do you beleive in magic or do you believe with a strong sense of mind control I can visually move this coin without touching it" Simply stating something without the words look it just flys from one hand and grows wings whoo hoo!!!

Interesting thread. However, Morgician, you can take everything that you said about coin magic and put it towards any type of magic. I feel the same way about cards now (especially the rather pointless ambitious card routine). I'm tired of hearing the same damn presentation for the ambitious card routine that every generic magician does. They either just state that the card goes to the top or the whole Harry Houdini storyline. Same goes for the torn and restored concept. Why would you tear a card into four equal pieces only to put them together, which leaves no proof that it actually happened unless you have it on video. Seems rather pointless to tear a card and put it together don't ya think?

Cups and balls...everyone does it the same way (minus Jason Latimer and Penn and Teller...they use CLEAR cups!). What's the point of making the balls travel from one cup to another (Same point as why do we do coins across or 3fly)? What's the point of putting one ball under each cup and then showing that they're all under one cup? What's the point of changing the balls to fruit (DD, spellbound, etc)? What's the point of having a giant fruit at the end (jumbo coin)?

I can go on and on with other types of magic (manipulation, illusions, etc). You can ask all these questions about why we do what we do and how we can make it better for our audience. I used to ponder for long periods of time during my slump in magic. I had no motivation to perform because I didn't see the point of any of the tricks that we as magicians do. Then I talked to a friend of mine about this (we were specifically talking about torn and restored effects). He agreed with alot of my thoughts, yet there was one answer that he gave. It was the reason that I had gotten into magic in the first place, and it has been totally lost in my thoughts...he said that magic doesn't have to have a point. Magic is what you make it out to be and it's up to you to make your audience filled with wonder and astonishment. Why would we tear a card and put it back together? Why would we pull coins and cards out of nowehre? Why would we multiply billiard balls in our hands? Because it's magic, and we do it for the sake of it being magic.

In regards to coins and making them interesting and entertaining for our audience, look at Curtis Kam and Kainoa Harbottle. They're the guys that got me into coin magic. They were able to take a coin and turn it into an entirely different experience. I had never seen coin magic done they way they do it from anyone else. They must have the best presentation for coins (and magic in general) that I have seen so far.

As for people going for shock value rather than an emotional hook, isn't shock an emotion? Just another thing to think about.

Also regarding this quote:

To be a magician you MUST fool - entertainment is important...but if you don't fool...think what you want, you are not a magician.

Yeah you can fool people, but that does not make you a magician at all. Look at people like Peter Popoff, Sylvia Brown, and John Edward. What about card cheats or the people that play the shell game? They're fooling people all the time for their own benefit. Does that make them magicians? They sound like scam artists to me. A magician is someone who does magic. Magicians do things that have no explanation, while at the same time having the audience believe that there is no explanation. And if there's no explanation for the magic, then there's no need to fool anyone. When you don't have to fool anyone, then you know that you've created real magic.

This is a strong point as to the fact of letting magic just be magic. Do we have a traditional sense to performing magic on many levels, yes. Is it up to every generation to push this art to be entertaining and unforgetably, absolutley. Without trickery then where just clown juggling bowling pins, thats what makes us magicians. I'll touch more on this thread later when I get the chance. Good thread though keep it going.

Shane

And ambitious card is more logical than coins across? Yea a spectator can make three coins go from one hand to another, and they can also take a card from the center of the deck and put it on top. Almost any magical effect can be accomplished without the use of "magic" but what the hell does that have to do with ANYTHING? With that type of thinking, you may as well just quit magic because there's no point. The point isn't that it can be done in a non-magical manner, the point is that you are doing it in a magical manner.

And on another note, if you are good enough, you will inspire belief and your audience will suspend disbelief and therefore your first point should then be a non-issue.

You seem to have a mislead mentality about magic.

Personally I think you just don't have any skills in the way of coin magic so this is your weak attempt to somehow make coin magic seem unimportant and dumb to even attempt so that you won't seem lacking as a magician with no coin skills. There's nothing wrong with a magician who doesn't perform with coins.

But like everyone says, don't knock it till you've tried it. And I mean truly given it a go. Not just a half a$$ed attempt so that you can say you've tried it and don't like it. If you want to down on something or someone, it is my belief that you must first have experienced what that something is or what that someone does.

Mar 29, 2008
To paraphrase Eminem from 8 mile...

The fact is that censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates, in the end, the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results