Does Coin Magic...

Sep 1, 2007
San Diego
i just crapped myself on this WHOLE thread, theres some REALLY great stuff in here for information. its a really good thread, so...

THIS THREAD, recieves an, i just crapped myself award, no person specifically, but the thread does

Jan 11, 2008
New york
........................................ doing a "move" under a logical moment - however, how can we do this with coins?

Can we create the same logic with metal circles?

Let's try with a routine - any suggestion on a routine we can work on and all know?

How about "Coin matrix" Four coins and four playing cards(I personally do the one with two playing cards). I think the playing cards can be substituted with something more patter friendly. like two phone cards or paper money, you know?
I was going to suggest 4 poker chips and a pocket pair (Two cards of the same value) but I think what this thread is trying to do is elevate the coins in magic not eliminate them. So How about "Coin Matrix"?

Sep 1, 2007
How about "Coin matrix" Four coins and four playing cards(I personally do the one with two playing cards). I think the playing cards can be substituted with something more patter friendly. like two phone cards or paper money, you know?
I was going to suggest 4 poker chips and a pocket pair (Two cards of the same value) but I think what this thread is trying to do is elevate the coins in magic not eliminate them. So How about "Coin Matrix"?

Or just the shadow coins routine in general?

Sep 24, 2007
I believe there is a coin assembly out there that uses bills instead of cards, but i'll need to look into it.

Shadow coins is not the category. the category is "Coin assemblies."
Buuut... i'm staying away from the whole "Shadow coins/coin matrix" type effects. I've seen the best (Armando Lucero) and I feel the category is becoming performed too much.
i mean, Shadow Coins is now the most popular coin trick!

Jan 11, 2008
New york
I believe there is a coin assembly out there that uses bills instead of cards, but I'll need to look into it.

Shadow coins is not the category. the category is "Coin assemblies."
Buuut... I'm staying away from the whole "Shadow coins/coin matrix" type effects. I've seen the best (Armando Lucero) and I feel the category is becoming performed too much.
i mean, Shadow Coins is now the most popular coin trick!

Name a not so popular coin routine that can be made popular with a little more thinking.

1. Coin collecting.(an old coin or coins)
2. A badly counterfeit coin.
3. Change for the phone.
4. A good luck coin .(Keep it separate from your other coins,this ones lucky)
5. Whats a good enough Tip for your waitress?
6. foreign coins you received as a tip or found and the popular question "I wonder what its worth here".or something like that.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I suppose looking at the idea of coin collection, people often talk about things just 'finding them.'

i.e. A: "How do you manage to find so many amazing coins?"
B: "I don't know, they just find me!"

When looking at transpositions this could be an interesting way to adapt a routine to contain an amount of logic, however, there is still gaps.

I do a lot with metal bending, so naturally I like to play with people's coins - the idea of demonstrating how to test a counterfeit coin would spring to mind when talking about deforming coins.

" With fraudulent bills you can FEEL the difference, it's similar with coins, you can actually bend them - just like this.."

With this kind of patter you could then leave them with a little something to think about in after bending the coin you hand it back to them an explain that they are lucky, their coin is real - it couldn't really be deformed "not physically anyway." (quoting Kenton)

Just throwing idea's down!

I really enjoyed reading through this thread, not just for the valid content - but some people's remarks are really hilarious!

D.

Apr 27, 2008
Any posts I have made before just forget them. Not to compare cards to coin magic as you stated but coin magic is much less seen by people, dealing with all money magic in fact. When someone sees a ACR or a gaff trick they have usually seen it on youtube or somewhere else. This barrier has been helping coin magic out and hurting at the same time. While people wont realize what you are doing with your money, they also understand the basic concept of sleeving and palming. I am not typing you are bashing coin magic I realize you are not but there are some factors you should look over like the modern age of revealing tricks. All in all coin magic is great and the statement i enjoyed the most was when you pass the coin from your right hand into your left hand, this is an obstacle that should be looked at with dealing with coin magic. Also my question is why dollars cannot do some of the same type of magic as coins, I realize the size of them is a transition that is difficult but fold up the dollar and problem solved. Dollar through bottle trick, they need money and are thirsty theres a solid ending. Anyways I have been working on getting that coin to be hot and bend in their hands once they drop it, so far I have burned myself countless of times and highly considering stopping trying this trick as putting it in the spectators hands is proving more difficult and the fact a quick lawsuit from a burn could come my way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 27, 2008
presentation

The presentation angles would be somewhat different but effects could be the same but less cause of suspicion of what is coming in or out of your sleeve. I am looking up more effects for coins and dollar bills to see what sets them apart and which effects could be useful in a money routine. If you have any good bill tricks send them to me if you can plz.

coasttocoast33@yahoo.com Thnx

May 26, 2008
Ok, I am going to be completely honest when I say that the only reason I have joined these forums is to reply to this thread. I think you have a great point, Morgician, and you obviously know what you are talking about. I have read most of this thread but not all, so please forgive me if I repeat a point that has already been made.
The first thing I want to ask you is: have you ever seen David Roth perform "The Planet"? Now you cannot tell me that that effect has no storyline. I would say that that is one of the strongest effects in coin magic. It has a clear storyline, it makes sense, and it is incredible to watch.
I also want to take up that challenge earlier about thinking of a storyline for a coins across routine. "When I was younger, I loved listening to my grandfather who would tell me stories about WWII. He was in the army, you know. He helped to rescue many families who were in trouble. My favorite story was how he rescued a family of four people (show four coins). They were running away when suddenly they found themselves trapped on one side of a huge river. It was lucky that my grandfather knew a little magic. All he did was snap his fingers, and one person suddenly appeared on the other side. He did it again, and another one traveled. One more time, and another one traveled. The last one was the hardest because he was getting tired, but he managed to make the last person travel just by snapping his fingers."
If you want to do a coin matrix, use the same storyline but instead of having them cross a river they "came to a dead end. A huge wall of stone was blocking their path. Luckily, my grandfather knew about the secret tunnels under the ground..." Continue as above.
To continue on that storyline, we can do a one-coin flurry as well. "Well, my grandfather had made the four people travel across the river, but he didn't have enough energy left to make himself travel. Unfortunately for him, the enemy caught up to him. But my grandfather was too smart for them. He ran to the left side of the valley, but when the soldiers chased him he appeared on the right side. He stayed on the left side of the valley, but when the soldiers got there he had disappeared, and he reappeared on the left side. He ran to the left side and disappeared, but the soldiers thought they had him...they sent half of their men to the right and half of their men to the left, but my grandfather was really gone. Of course he couldn't keep doing this, so to scare them off he made himself...20 TIMES LARGER!!"
Anyway, these were just some ideas for a scripted coin routine that makes sense.
I want to make one last point before I end this post. Just by reading what you have written you have obviously been in magic for a very long time, Morgician. How long has it been since you were a layman? For me it hasn't been very long. I only got into coin magic about five months ago. Now, I agree with your point that if you are trying to blow someone's mind then there a certain coin effects that make no sense, and that will not accomplish that job. But if you are just trying to entertain someone, coin magic is just the thing to use. Have you ever seen Dean Dill perform his matrixes (spelling?)? (if you haven't, pick up the Coinvention DVD) They are just pure entertainment, just fun to watch. Not only do they have no storyline and it makes no sense why the coins are jumping from one place to another, it is just pure joy to watch. Why do the coins multiply at the end? Why? There is no reason, but for most laymen there doesn't need to be a reason. They are there to be entertained. When I watch coin magic I obviously know that the coin doesn't go into his hand, but it is still a pleasure to watch. I agree that for some people just being entertained isn't enough. But for the majority of people who go to watch a magic show, just being entertained is what they are there for. If you want someone to walk away from your show scratching their head and saying "how the hell did he do that?" then maybe most coin effects won't have that kind of effect on people. But if you want them to walk away from the show laughing and saying "that guy was really fun to watch," coin magic can do you some good.

If anyone took the time to read this...thanks.

Jitty

Sep 24, 2007
Dean Dill's coin matrixes are "Eye candy." So are the vast number of magic tricks. Telling a storyis a motivation, but far overused and not overly interesting towards laymen.

Not important, but... if your grandfather had magic powers, why the heck was he fighting in a war?

Jan 11, 2008
New york
"Check out this quarter,we'll call him Romeo and this quarter we'll call her Juilet......"In the right hands its a baffler how they find each other every time in one hand. Quarters are not really in love with each other and audiences know that. being a great story teller with coins is great but i think this post is trying to find a deeper reasons for the coins themselves..you know? Its a harder answer then "The right patter."

May 26, 2008
"Check out this quarter,we'll call him Romeo and this quarter we'll call her Juilet......"In the right hands its a baffler how they find each other every time in one hand. Quarters are not really in love with each other and audiences know that. being a great story teller with coins is great but i think this post is trying to find a deeper reasons for the coins themselves..you know? Its a harder answer then "The right patter."

In my right hand I have a half dollar, named Romeo, and in my left hand I have a copper coin, called Juliet. Have you read the book? You have. Remember how Romeo and Juliet could never be together? I will show you. If I put both coins into my hand and snap my fingers, they separate. In the middle of the book, Romeo and Juliet are together. (snap fingers, coins come together) But at the end, both of them die (make coins disappear).

Jan 11, 2008
New york
In my right hand I have a half dollar, named Romeo, and in my left hand I have a copper coin, called Juliet. Have you read the book? You have. Remember how Romeo and Juliet could never be together? I will show you. If I put both coins into my hand and snap my fingers, they separate. In the middle of the book, Romeo and Juliet are together. (snap fingers, coins come together) But at the end, both of them die (make coins disappear).

what i was trying to say is coins are not war hero's or lovers your hands are not two barns nickels are not sheep dimes are not thieves. I think this post is looking for a reason for this coin to be just a coin with a purpose with a magical hook you know?

Phone call money
An old coin from WW2 (a collectors coin)
A lucky coin
A Tip for your waitress
an old saying about coins
A coin you took from a wishing fountain(a hand full of wet coins)

then some how attach an existing routine to it that is more logical then most.

Sep 1, 2007
I think some people are confusing presentational angles with logical reasoning and this first may need to be clarified before we go any further. Although feel free to correct me if you feel i havent understood the concept you are trying to look at.

Situation- i go to the shop to buy something and as im at the counter i realise i have no money. Therefore if i could do magic i would produce money.

Now vanishing a coin on the face of it doesnt logically make sense. Why would anyone want to 'lose' their money or make it disappear.

Multiplying money would be a good effect, but it would have to look different than just producing several coins - this is why the bill switch is strong, its perfectly logical that if you could do magic you would change a £5 note into a £50 note.

So so far we have 1 effect in which i feel has logical reasoning
- The production of a coin

From this maybe you are planning to go abroad and will require a different currency.
Going to the bank or the exchange will take time and may cost you even more money (comission).

Therefore if you could do magic would you change the coin yourself into the needed currency?
I Believe so. So thats 2 effects?

Notice how these effects have logical reasoning as opposed to a presentational angle (the coin bends because its counterfeit, thats how you test it) Or would you argue that what i have suggested here are also presentational angles?

On another note i have no problem with magic being magic for the sake of it, however magic that has logical reasoning will tend to be stronger beneath the surface.

More to come....possibly

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results